starting strength gym
Page 195 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 951451851931941951961972052452956951195 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusSulla View Post
    Even if we accept the government diktat dividing businesses into essential and non essential (and I most definitely don’t), then what the fuck caused them to classify gyms as non essential!?? Gyms (if used properly) are engines of preventative medicine. They won’t stop you catching COVID 19 but they will sure as hell assist you in combating it. Mind you when you look at the pale, flabby state of many politicians, it’s quite easy to understand that these gym dodgers don’t even consider training and exercise to be a vital part of human existence.
    Because the deciders (state/local) can just as easily do yoga, go for a run, sit on a peloton, at home. “Globo gym” can teach classes on the internet. You can do sit-ups and stretching for strength training.

Same for schools. Can teach from home, etc. These simpletons did not see any further than this. Many of them think they’ve created a future as good as if not better than the past.

There are people touting the health benefits of Covid-19 and all of the healthy meals families are preparing together. Wonderful family quality time.

The worst thing that can happen now is that is the data shows lower threat and we open back up.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusSulla View Post
    Even if we accept the government diktat dividing businesses into essential and non essential (and I most definitely don’t), then what the fuck caused them to classify gyms as non essential!?? Gyms (if used properly) are engines of preventative medicine. They won’t stop you catching COVID 19 but they will sure as hell assist you in combating it. Mind you when you look at the pale, flabby state of many politicians, it’s quite easy to understand that these gym dodgers don’t even consider training and exercise to be a vital part of human existence.
    May as well suspend logic when dealing with the government. Essential or non-essential was only ever meant to denote personnel necessary during a very short period of natural disaster. It falls apart after more than a few days because it becomes increasingly subjective and broad the further out you go in time.

Simple summary of why the Stanford study is almost certainly providing HIGHER numbers than reality.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    . . .

And please, tell me more about the modern relationship between applied mathematics and statistical machine learning.
    Different manifestations of various subspace projections?

(You know, we never see Noah and Dirty Red talking at the same time.)

Here's the full interview with Dr. Loannidis YouTube

He's got a good answer for all of it.

Well the US oil industry is fucked

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Consumption driven free market capitalism seems to be on its way out, like it or not. It's not a bad system, but it failed to account for continually rising debt, which made it too volatile for most people's tastes.
    Yes, it seems to be. The continually rising debt was not a feature of capitalism, but of a lack of term limits on the politicians that did federal budgets. But you're right. We're seeing first hand the effects of a planned economy. Oil futures dropped below $10 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Brain training. Taleb yesterday:

“Compare the richest countries, such as Sweden, making a "tradoff" (which is not even a tradeoff anyway) compared to much poorer places in the East Med, India, or China that wouldn't even remotely consider a Faustian bargain.

Shame.

Wealth brings moral degeneracy”

He makes a strong point. The only counter argument I can think of.

“Ultimately, morality has to be paid for”.

Thoughts Rip?
    Maybe there are factors other than wealth at play.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Public gyms are pretty much a worse case scenario. They should've been the first thing to shut down; and will be the first thing to shut down next corona-season again.
    Who gets to decide this?

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Well the US oil industry is fucked
    The oil industry is global.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Brain training. Taleb yesterday:

“Compare the richest countries, such as Sweden, making a "tradoff" (which is not even a tradeoff anyway) compared to much poorer places in the East Med, India, or China that wouldn't even remotely consider a Faustian bargain.

Shame.

Wealth brings moral degeneracy”

He makes a strong point. The only counter argument I can think of.

“Ultimately, morality has to be paid for”.

Thoughts Rip?
    My interpretation of his Sweden tweet was that he's accusing the Swedes of risking older people's lives in the name of the economy. I don't know near enough about the Swedish political system to comment on it, but it's good to keep in mind that the federal government of the US hasn't technically shut down the country either. That's been the states, and even then not all states have shut things down equally.

As far as morals go, thinking about morality in any collective sense can be a very slippery slope. Were all the Germans in WWII morally responsible for the Holocaust? Were all Americans responsible for locking up Japanese-Americans during the same war? Accusing groups of people instead of the individuals responsible risks falsely accusing people of actions they didn't do.

I've been following Taleb's twitter since this whole thing began. He's spent almost zero time talking about the potential economic effects on people's livelihood. I don't do Twitter, but part of me wants to bring up the fact with him that Taleb doesn't have much "skin in the game" about shutting down the economy. He's a multi-millionaire (I assume) and can weather the storm much better than your average Joe. It's hard to take his opinions about the crisis seriously when he doesn't have to worry about making rent and payroll next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

I'm about pro exercise as anybody, but if you can't see the problem with a bunch of people frequenting to a centralized location, sharing/touching a bunch of barbell equipment, huffing and puffing all about in the same space, and then dispersing back into society to go about their business....well, I don't know what to say.

Have you ever been to a gym? Do you advocate PE for school children? Movies? Weddings ? Rock concerts? Subways? Air travel?

If yes to any of the above, why was it ok then and not now? Specifically, what has changed and by how much?

starting strength coach development program
    The oil industry is global.
    Ok let me rephrase: the people involved with oil production in the US are fucked.

Let’s see those ripples...