starting strength gym
Page 235 of 3019 FirstFirst ... 1351852252332342352362372452853357351235 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 30183

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    They will be breathing their own CO2 and there will be more accidents by DWM ( driving with mask)

Hey, Rip I wonder if COVID -19 cases and deaths are statistically lower in people that lift weights or have baseline strength indices...probably so but if you could prove it...another serious benefit of strength training

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    In the midst of all this darkness, there is a shining light in my very own city, Mayor Kafusi of Provo, Utah.
    https://www.heraldextra.com/news/com...67d171d7e.html
    *Soon to be Lieutenant Governor of Utah Kaufusi

What are the Real Swedish numbers? As of a few weeks ago, over 40% of the deaths in Sweden were Africans, not Swedes. In addition, it is widely reported that middle easterners in Sweden also experience a disproportionately large death rate (can't find any actual numbers being reported). It appears likely that perhaps 75% of all CCP flu deaths in Sweden are not actually Swedes.

The homeless populations appear to be doing proportionately well. Is it because people don't notice when they die or is it because they may have higher circulating levels of certain antibodies? Have their living conditions altered their immune response?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    These numbers would be worth discussing if they came from a reliable source. You knew this as evidenced by your first sentence. If I made up some numbers and used SAS, R, or SPSS to justify them can we talk about those?
    CNN is no more or less reputable than any other media organization. They're all in it to make money. That being said, the numbers themselves look to be coming from Johns Hopkins University, at least partially. It can be hard to differentiate between sources without citations. So, I still think they're worth discussing, personally.

Latest weekly death figures in England & Wales:

All Deaths w/e 17th April - 22,351

*Deaths where COVID 19 was mentioned on the Death Certificate - 8,758
    **Excess weekly deaths compared to 5 year average -11,854

Hoping next weeks total figures will drop in line with this weeks reported deaths to help us get out of this mess.

If we rewind back to a bad week for us at the beginning of 2000, in which we were hit with an influenza outbreak and hospitals becoming stretched to full capacity (Worth mentioning the population was about 7 million lower than today)

All Deaths w/e 7th January -20,566

Makes you wonder why the MSM and geniuses of the Government didn't lock us down then?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAZ View Post
    So what happens when Sweden's Nordic neighbors come out from their bunkers?

This article's premise seems illogical; or at least, the conclusion seems premature.

We've been told, "lockdowns" are about "flattening the curve", not preventing total deaths. In order to avoid overwhelming ERs. Remember that?

So to say that "Sweden's response to the virus has been less effective (in preventing deaths attributed to Covid-19)" is premature. TO DATE that may be true, but once the Nordic neighbor prairie dogs pop out of their hidey-holes, they are going to die anyway, right? Just on the long tail of the flattened curve?

If that is actually the case, if we haven't simply been sold a load of BS with this whole curve-flattening theory, then what Sweden has actually done is to not completely crater its economy to arrive ultimately at the same place that its Nordic neighbors will arrive at once the dust clears.
    Wouldn't having less overwhelmed hospitals result in less deaths overall? I would think that the less people a particular ICU is dealing with at any given time the less people would die within that ICU - less people with the same amount of resources would ideally lead to better patient outcomes. That being said, I've never worked in an ICU. My experience with them is limited to the month my kids spent in one after they were born. It's definitely something I'll look into though.

It's definitely possible that there will be an uptick in deaths following restrictions being eased. That's why I said I thought the numbers were worth discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Population density and accounting methods are important variables.
    I didn't see accounting methods discussed anywhere, but population density was addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I see people driving down the street alone in the car with the windows rolled up and a mask on.
    I've done it. I went to the grocery store, and then had to stop to pick up a prescription for my parents. I could touch my face to remove my mask, or just leave it on until I got home. Doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Sweden purposefully chose a path of not destroying their economy versus a knee jerk reaction based on incomplete data. Your assumption is that Denmark, Finland and/or Norway will not have a resurgence when they remove the draconian shelter in place, don't go outside, don't work approach. My guess is the virus will continue to run through their populations and they will then do it under the strain of economic recession and heavy unemployment.
    I didn't make any assumptions. I just posted a link to an article.

I see people driving down the street alone in the car with the windows rolled up and a mask on.
    I'm trying hard to be optimistic. I can't believe people are wearing those damn masks by themselves in their cars. I had to wear one for a doctor visit today and I couldn't wait to pull that stupid thing off after wearing it for nearly two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
    I believe this was the intent. Sweden is accepting more cases and more deaths in the short term in exchange for a shortened timeline and achieving herd immunity more quickly. This is the theory underpinning the idea of hashtag-flatten-the-curve which assumes most people will be exposed to the virus eventually and the goal should be to not overstress the healthcare system. Sweden seems to be doing fine in that regard, although I feel like a lot of people have moved the goalposts from "don't exceed healthcare capacity" to "don't let anyone get infected."
    Right. At some point a few weeks ago the messaging or at least popular sentiment shifted from "flatten the curve" to "stop the spread," when the former was really only supposed to be "stop the RAPID spread so people who get sick enough to need ICU treatment are able to get it." Well, we successfully did the former, but now the popularly expressed sentiment, whether official or just the zeitgeist, is to force everyone to cower in their homes for an unknown and unknowable but lengthy period of time, till government appointed experts who are perfectly altruistic with zero personal interests or incentives, tell the elected officials who pay their salaries and keep them in positions of influence, that we no longer need them in such positions of influence because the crisis has passed. What could possibly be amiss?

It's too early to know for sure how Sweden's strategy did, but you can judge a lot about the evangelical pro-lockdown's views by noting how much flack they give Sweden and how much spin is required to generate it, compared to an honest analysis. That honest analysis doesn't say for sure that Sweden did the best thing (I suspect they did, but I do not KNOW this yet), but it does note differences in population density, the % of cases in stockholm vs everywhere else, the % of cases in nursing homes, etc. Along with the later data we can't possibly have yet that will see what happens when reopening other places inevitably must occur. There seems to be a desire in some circles for Sweden's approach to be terrible, because it's getting increasingly difficult to justify slavish adherence to SCIENCE! and EXPERTS! based on accumulating data from, well, science, and experts, among other interested and investigative parties.

Coronavirus News: Driver in New Jersey crash may have passed out from wearing N95 mask too long, police say - 6abc Philadelphia

LINCOLN PARK, N.J. -- A New Jersey police department says what officials called "excessive" wearing of a medical mask is believed to have been a factor in a single-car crash after the driver and sole occupant of the vehicle passed out behind the wheel.

The Lincoln Park police department said in a Facebook post that the driver had been wearing the N95 medical mask for several hours. Police said the driver apparently passed out behind the wheel "due to insufficient oxygen intake/excessive carbon dioxide intake." No other details about the accident or driver were provided.
    I bet the "driver and sole occupant" part got overlooked by many who read this ...

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Population density and accounting methods are important variables.
    As is who are the sick and dead. Apparently, after the elderly, Somalian populations are among the hardest hit. This was reported in all three countries, Norway, Sweden and Finland. As is an outbreak in South Dakota.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, with all the mask wearing there has never been a better time to commit robbery. “It was a guy in a mask!”