starting strength gym
Page 237 of 3019 FirstFirst ... 1371872272352362372382392472873377371237 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 30184

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Default Case closed!! What a joke!!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    US population = 331,000,000
    Total reported US deaths from Covid19= 58,955 as of today- so.......

58,955 divided by 331,000,000 = 0.000178

Wtf!!! Case closed open the damn country!!!

Do what the government tells you. Stay inside. Stop lifting. And take estrogen

Doctors are testing whether estrogen could help men fight COVID-19 | Live Science

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    And I appreciate your response.

I re-read Isaac Ben Israel's article, and it appears I was overly harsh on him. He does acknowledge the difference between a full lockdown and moderate physical distancing, so my bad on that one.

I agree that in many contexts, the cure is worse than the disease. But I think it's foolish to think that only embers are left and that we are on a downward slope and that "the pandemic is over".

Let's be clear. If the pandemic was over, then we could go completely back to normal. There is still plenty of fuel left to feed this virus.

Do you think that we should go completely back to normal (especially in those places that haven't already been hit hard, and are therefore farther behind in herd immunity)?
    Utah County, population 636,000, was not locked down with "Stay At Home" orders. Amazingly, our mayors resisted the urge to seize more power. Even without the orders we only had 828 cases and 7 deaths--not sure how either one of those numbers was actually figured--but do the math. Even if the numbers are off by a factor of 10 it is hard to believe this wasn't a bunch of kabuki theater.

We did, however, have mass economic death and destruction--ask any banker. Ask the families of those who committed suicide; ask those who lost an employee to stroke; ask those who delved deeper into drugs. Yes, I do think it is time to get back to normal before we cause any more economic death and destruction. The fading embers of this bonfire have certainly left a lot of ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewG View Post
    Yeah it's not doing great but as stated it has almost twice the population of the countries made in comparison with it. Also, Stockholm city has a high population density about 4,800 people per square kilometer, and has accounted for 1,287 of those registered as died with COVID 19. In fact, most Swedish cities have a much higher population density compared to it's northern European neighbors. Anyhow, whatever they say Sweden is still doing better than other "advanced" European countries such as Belgium, Spain, Italy, France, United Kingdom, Netherlands and Ireland per 100,000. I don't think anyone is saying Sweden is doing well out of this but it appears to be doing no better or worse than all European countries based on it's approach.
    Exactly. I wonder why so many “smart” people have overlooked this fact as if population density doesn’t matter. Fucking New York?? Hello?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    YouTube

God, I hate this, but she may be right.
    It's the invisible fourth branch of government.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    I don't know the answer to that question, Rip. Was it because of the measures put in place to stop the spread? Was it because the virus isn't what it was people were making it out to be? I'll never know, and neither will you.
    The unknown, and the unknowable, right?

Why would it seem unreasonable to me, Rip? I have parents that are older, who also happen to have health issues that make them more likely to suffer complications were they to become infected. More importantly than that, I have a son that is also more susceptible to any sort of respiratory illness due to medical complications that arose as a result of him being born premature. His lungs are less able to fight off infections as a result. Are you really going to tell me that attempting to protect my parents and son from an infection that may take their lives by doing something as simple as wearing a mask while out and about is unreasonable? Seems a rather silly position to take, if you ask me.
    If it makes you feel better to drive around in a car wearing a mask, and you think it protects your parents and your son, that's what you need to do. Absolutely.

Very sorry she was unable to be with her and sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    My great aunt died last night. She and her sister had lived together their entire lives. They were essentially a married couple. When the ambulance came at 2am, her sister asked to go to the hospital with her, but was refused because covid.

The sister who died had recently been in hospital for viral pneumonia and had tested negative for covid. Her death was unrelated to the pandemic.

In a situation where ICUs are overwhelmed and/or PPE is in shortage, I can perhaps see an argument for not allowing a loved one to be by the side of a dying person. But what if ICUs are not overwhelmed, there is no shortage of PPE, and the party takes full responsibility and agrees to isolate themselves for 2 weeks afterwards?

The only reasons I can see for not allowing this is:

1) The visitors would get in the way of the medical staff, and compromise their ability to do their job
    2) They could pick up the virus and harm others.
    3) They could pick up the virus and harm themselves.

These risks would be exacerbated in situations like peak New York, Italy, Spain, Iran, etc.

But in other places, I think there are measures that could be taken to reduce these risks. And 3) shouldn't count with informed consent and self isolation afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    Do what the government tells you. Stay inside. Stop lifting. And take estrogen

Doctors are testing whether estrogen could help men fight COVID-19 | Live Science
    I shall ponder this, not at all, as I don't take estrogen.

Really starting to think the tinfoil hat folks might actually by right.....NWO and Illuminati and controlling elites. Lizard people?

NO way I would have believed we would be here if you had told me this before spring break....now I am pondering if the Lizard people might be real.

I need to get out more.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Utah County, population 636,000, was not locked down with "Stay At Home" orders. Amazingly, our mayors resisted the urge to seize more power. Even without the orders we only had 828 cases and 7 deaths--not sure how either one of those numbers was actually figured--but do the math. Even if the numbers are off by a factor of 10 it is hard to believe this wasn't a bunch of kabuki theater.

We did, however, have mass economic death and destruction--ask any banker. Ask the families of those who committed suicide; ask those who lost an employee to stroke; ask those who delved deeper into drugs. Yes, I do think it is time to get back to normal before we cause any more economic death and destruction. The fading embers of this bonfire have certainly left a lot of ashes.
    If Utah County has only endured 7 deaths without without the same sort of restrictions that other places have endured, then communities similar to Utah County should pay attention and learn.

But what about high density areas? Do you think those areas should be allowed to have mass gatherings?

It does appear that much of the decision making thus far has been inordinately weighted by medical opinion. I'm pretty sure that if economists, philosophers, sociologists, child psychologists, and mental health experts had been an integral part of the discussion from the beginning, then things would have unfolded more sanely.

But here's another reality:

this pandemic has a lot of potential energy left to dissipate. It needs to be respected. And writing articles with "the pandemic is over" in the title is misleading, ignorant, and irresponsible.

starting strength coach development program
    Many of the folks I see with their masks and gloves on in their car.... I simply think they forgot they had it on and pull it off. But that's just a thought.

I also am assuming that these folks DO NOT think keeping a mask on in their car actually does any good.

And to Shea, hope your kid and parents are okay.