starting strength gym
Page 241 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1411912312392402412422432512913417411241 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

What they'll say, and what might true to a sense, flu cases have falling off due to the lockdowns/social distancing.
    The mitigations put in place for C19 would have the same effect on the regular flu.
    Maybe moreso because we have some immunity and vaccines for the flu.
    So add social distancing, not being allow to work, and/or don't go to school and flu cases will plummet off the bottom of the chart.
    Flu season is essentially over early this year .... "lockdown for the win !". That's what they will say.
    hmm, good possibility. Of course, they could just report 0 (zero) cases until the usual stop date (may 19). Zero is a useful number in analysis too, I'd think.

I wonder how cases would be reported if the hospital had received $39,000 for each Influenza case that they vented?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It appears as though Maine's dental community thinks they have to go to work if they don't want to, unless the governor gives them permission to stay home.
    That's my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Ok. Math errors....point is LOTS AND LOTS of people are infected by the virus. It is NOT an automatic death-sentence for the VAST majority who encounter it. Or is that an example of bias?
    Which throws us down the worm hole of statistical noodling doesn't it ? I prefer the moral argument that people are entitled to decide their own degree of risk once they are given the facts. The WHO, the scientists and the Government, are responsible for getting those facts circulated rapidly amongst the population - they aren't responsible for determining individual risk aversion. The statistical argument is playing ping pong with a Government which has a super sized bat and a million arms. Making simple mat maths and statistical errors is a multiplication of the Governments advantage in winning the argument. Simply put, the pen may be mightier than the sword, but not if the writer is illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    But what about high density areas? Do you think those areas should be allowed to have mass gatherings?
    Yes. 100% yes. It is the up to individuals to responsibly determine their own level of risk tolerance. You already should have known our answer.

Quote Originally Posted by jklymus View Post
    For those of you who liked part 1, check out part 2:

YouTube

My favorite person speaking on this topic, Knut Wittkowski.
    He is a very likeable person. I wish we could see more from him on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    If you haven't already, now is the time to go full Dave Ramsey and start living like your depression-era grandparents. The next 12 months or so are going to be rough for a lot of people.
    One thing I am having problems with is protein costs. I began buying near-expiration discounted meats to cut costs.... but, then I just ended up eating 3-4lbs of meat per day. Positive effect on my training, but the cost ended up being the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Youtube has taken the video down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    Perhaps more people will start using alternatives to YT. I doubt it, but it'd be nice.
    The first and most basic step we can take is to demonetize Youtube; Make sure you have basic ad blockers that remove 99% of the ads on YT.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Annino View Post
    Don't worry all you newly unemployed folks, the Gestapo is now hiring "social compliance" officers!
    404 Not Found
    Your link has been censored. Did you archive it?

My infallible county health department police have just released their rules for reopening gyms. The rules will likely ensure many more gyms are forced out of business.

Among the rules:
    Face masks at all times. Mask can be removed temporarily while engaging in "heavy" physical activity.
    10 feet distance at all times during workouts.
    No use of electronic card or kiosk systems
    Workout equipment must be rearranged to place at least 10ft between each item of equipment
    Physical barriers and or floor markings must be present in check in or lounge areas to ensure 6ft spacing between individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    The first and most basic step we can take is to demonetize Youtube; Make sure you have basic ad blockers that remove 99% of the ads on YT.

My infallible county health department police have just released their rules for reopening gyms. The rules will likely ensure many more gyms are forced out of business.

Among the rules:
    Face masks at all times. Mask can be removed temporarily while engaging in "heavy" physical activity.
    Workout equipment must be rearranged to place at least 10ft between each item of equipment
    Physical barriers and or floor markings must be present in check in or lounge areas to ensure 6ft spacing between individuals.
    1) any ad blocker recs for YT?

2) gym limitations... An open gym with those restrictions is better than a closed gym.

Unrelated to the above... FL Gov is talking right now about opening up the state. Hope he gives us good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    One thing I am having problems with is protein costs. I began buying near-expiration discounted meats to cut costs.... but, then I just ended up eating 3-4lbs of meat per day. Positive effect on my training, but the cost ended up being the same.
    Are you still training? I have no access to barbells in my area. I tried to do the push up/assistance style workouts, but I can't stand more than 10 reps of anything and there's no way for me to load any movements beyond the weight of a few milk jugs. Training is on hold until I get back in the gym. I switched to 1 meal a day to knock out as much bodyfat as possible, which also slashed my grocery bill by about 50%.

Among the rules:
    My gym was shooting for May 1, but Gov. DeWine of Ohio axed that. Retail stores will tentatively open May 12 with similar social distancing guidelines, and then "we'll see" about recreational facilities and restaurants.

Amazingly, there are commentors on my gym's FB page scolding members for asking the gym to open back up. I'm still in shock about how many people have wholeheartedly embraced the panic.

Just a thought... If low income people have poor health care and lifestyles, and subsequently fare worse in a pandemic... The solution is to put 30 million people out of work, right?

Better read before it gets taken down

Delaying herd immunity is costing lives - spiked

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    1) any ad blocker recs for YT?

2) gym limitations... An open gym with those restrictions is better than a closed gym.

Unrelated to the above... FL Gov is talking right now about opening up the state. Hope he gives us good news.
    AND.... FL is phase one opening, which does NOT include gyms. They are not yet opening. So, be grateful you get to go somewhere.....

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Better read before it gets taken down

Delaying herd immunity is costing lives - spiked
    It is truly amazing to me that we are 6 weeks into total lockdown and ideas like this are still batted down and subject to outrage.