starting strength gym
Page 242 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1421922322402412422432442522923427421242 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It is truly amazing to me that we are 6 weeks into total lockdown and ideas like this are still batted down and subject to outrage.
    The mass panic machine has done its job very well...

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    If you haven't already, now is the time to go full Dave Ramsey and start living like your depression-era grandparents.
    If you follow SS and aren't already living frugal aren't you kind of missing the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Youtube has taken the video down.
    I stopped listening to the Bakersfield docs after a couple minutes, when they made indefensible errors in "extrapolation". But I think the censorship of their video (and many other communications) is despicable.

The ACEP-AAEM offered a rebuttal, but only after the censorship.

Here is a defensible reanalysis of the the Santa Clara statistics, making the correct quantitative conclusions. Though, for a highly contentious topic, I prefer the frequentist setup of the original paper.

This is a couple days old so I'm not sure if it's been posted or discussed; but it's nice to see someone out there doing their job:

Barr tells prosecutors to look for coronavirus orders that violate Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Yes. 100% yes. It is the up to individuals to responsibly determine their own level of risk tolerance. You already should have known our answer.
    You speak for everyone on this board? The question was directed at David.

But I'm happy to engage.

I agree that individuals should be able to determine their own risk assessment and tolerance.

But this isn't about them. It's about the effect they have on the rest of the community.

More fundamentally (and I think this is the deeper issue where we disagree), I believe that it is sometimes necessary to infringe upon individual rights for the greater good. And if you disagree, I'm more than happy to have this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    It is truly amazing to me that we are 6 weeks into total lockdown and ideas like this are still batted down and subject to outrage.
    If this pandemic has done anything it has exposed that which has already been happening to those who were far too naive. May will be an interesting month for some of these states.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    But this isn't about them. It's about the effect they have on the rest of the community..
    Who specifically in the community?

I believe that it is sometimes necessary to infringe upon individual rights for the greater good. And if you disagree, I'm more than happy to have this discussion.
    One persons rights perhaps. If you are infringing on everyone's rights then there is no greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    If this pandemic has done anything it has exposed that which has already been happening to those who were far too naive. May will be an interesting month for some of these states.
    I don't know. The longer this drags on, the more I am convinced that, warriors and patriots there may reside, they are few and far between. I wonder if this is, instead, the age of decline and entropy. Because too many care too little.

I believe that it is sometimes necessary to infringe upon individual rights for the greater good.
    This leads to the core of the problem we face. Who gets to decide what is the "greater good"?

I was born and raised in the U.S., so I can't opine on other countries. In the U.S., at least, our country isn't a single, unified "American people" with shared values. There are very few historical exceptions where the entirety of the country has come together to pursue a common cause through a shared course of action. In general, the U.S. is a union of various cultural nations with their own identities, and values conflict between the nations. You won't find a peaceful consensus on what "the greater good" is.

I can understand the temptation to defer to the Federal Government to figure this out for everyone; that's the easiest course of action, and everyone supposedly has representation at that level. But, in my opinion, from a strictly practical standpoint, do we have any evidence to suggest the Feds will do this properly? Even if you turn a blind eye to the decades of corruption and jackassery that's come out of D.C., and you give them benefit of the doubt, assume noble intentions, etc..., you still run into the emotional and intellectual limits of human beings. The people in D.C. don't understand your interests as well as you do. They are keenly aware of their own interests, and their actions will be guided by those, whether they consciously realize it or not.

it's how you end up with situations like loved ones being left to die alone in isolation in a hospital because of "regulations", and Wal-Mart thrives under "essential only" business conditions while small retail outlets are suffocated.

starting strength coach development program
    Although I have been relatively unaffected by this, I know many people who have been. I live in a small rural county in MN with no reported cases. Although I hope no one believes there are no cases here just because there aren't any reported cases. My wife works for the local ambulance service, and the number of calls they have had has dropped immensely. She isn't a scheduled employee, she just works when someone else needs time off etc. Because of the reduced call volume, there is no paid time off, so the number of hours she is working has dropped to almost nothing. Good thing we don't rely on her salary.

I also work in the medical industry, as part of the IT department for a company that is a medical group for many small doctors offices. The number of patient visits our doctors have had is down, a lot. The one thing that is helping us it that we already had a platform in place to allow doctors to do virtual (remote) visits with their patients. Obviously the growth in that platform has increased by a ridiculous amount.

One more thing to worry about this, is what will happen to our health care system? What happens when a lot of hospitals are no longer able to operate, or at least keep operating at a rate to cover expenses and payroll due to all this? Will the government then swoop in and "help" the system? Just what I needed, one more thing to keep me awake at night.

This thread, and the knowledge that there are other people out there who are thinking this stuff also is a great help to me. That and my rack and weights so I can keep training. Although at this rate, I am going to hit a limit on what I can deadlift by running out of weight to add to the bar before I can find more plates to buy for less than my mortgage. Time to go down to deadlifting one day a week rather than two.

This podcast is a good listen for a someone who wants to know they are not alone in thinking this should be labeled as the great Covid-19 over reaction of 2020. But unfortunately we don't write the history books, so I am sure it will read that the over reaction was the savior of the human race and should be praised for all time.