starting strength gym
Page 250 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1502002402482492502512522603003507501250 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    If we all know it's dangerous, we wouldn't need men with guns preventing us from gathering.
    I think we're talking past each other on this. You first said:
    "We know enough about this virus to know that mass gatherings are a terrible idea" - then I said:
    "If we all know it's dangerous, why do we need men with guns preventing us from gathering?" - now you're saying:
    "If we all know it's dangerous, we wouldn't need men with guns preventing us from gathering."

Do we or do we not know that "it's dangerous"? Or is it the case that you have a different threshold for/interpretation of the danger so you need people with guns preventing me from going out to enforce your threshold/interpretation on me? Do you perhaps see how I might consider that problematic?
    A viral epidemic that spreads through respiration is a decidedly communal phenomenon, and as such, is a rather interesting test of your above-stated principle.
    It's not all that interesting. Influenza is usually pretty boring and it doesn't result in placing millions of people under pseudo-house arrest.

"Innocent until proven guilty" by design weighs the harms associated with depriving freedom of an innocent person more greatly than the harms associated with letting a guilty person go free.
    Correct

The harms associated with letting unwitting people mingle in large crowds may, in some cases, outweigh the harms associated with restricting their freedom to assemble in large groups.
    Sure, anything is possible. However, the IFR of COVID19 looks to be around 0.1% (1M cases * 55 under-ascertainment rate from the Stanford paper / 55K fatalities). I do not believe the harms are sufficient to begin restricting freedoms. Lots of people disagree with me though.

You'd be an asshole to do something that you knew put others at risk.
    Have you ever traveled in a motorized vehicle? If so you are by your definition an asshole.

A dire economic outlook based around US oil production, and no, renewables will not be the savior:

The Death Of U.S. Oil | OilPrice.com

You'd be an asshole to do something that you knew put others at risk. I'm assuming that the assholes are less prevalent than ignorant people.
    I take it you don't drive, or are you admitting to being an asshole? Your best path toward intellectual consistency would be to kill yourself, for the Greater Good, of course. Gotta keep the risk levels low.

You are an unethical, pompous, hypocrite. You, and those of the same feather, are pushing the boundaries of what free men will accept. There will be repercussions if you persist.

Real time BBC news:

Lead government scientist just said right now on the national press conference:

“COVID-19 is a mild illness for the great majority”

CASE CLOSED, SO WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE STILL DOING ON LOCKDOWN THEN?!

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    That train sailed about fifteen years ago. Cell phones have always tracked you, but it did get better with GPS sensors. The whole big brother fight is over and done with. Your information is out there, and it's for sale. Snowden is a traitor. Facebook maintains profiles on people who never even register an account. Alexa and Siri are always listening and always learning.

May as well move on from that one. Time to stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.
    Explain this to me. Snowden is a traitor because he told us about what you are lamenting to be true? You didn't want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by DanaWhicker View Post
    This is either trolling or a serious case of head-stuck-in-sand.
    He doesn't want to believe this. He is willing to ignore lots of shit so that he doesn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Oh my god. I guess you and SD are well along the spectrum. It's the only explanation.
    I don't know what that means.

This paper has custom statistical analysis, which could serve as a template for ongoing seroprevalence surveys, and in turn end the lockdowns (in NY and NJ, at least). Instead, it is casting doubt on all the surveys, in the mind of the public.

Also, one of the authors has a top-10 citation count. Such is the value of experts, at least according to conventional metrics.

See what I mean? He doesn't get it. Never will. Well, maybe eventually.

In Texas, for example, 1,555,995 jobs have been lost, while 782 have died of COVID-19 (allegedly). By this count, each life has cost 1,989 jobs. For each death, 1,989 jobs have been vaporized in order to “flatten the curve”. Does protecting old guys like me warrant destroying the livelihood of almost 2,000 people? I don't think so. But in the meantime, watch the effects of totalitarianism upon a society. Pay attention to people's attitudes toward other people, towards government, and towards law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Explain this to me. Snowden is a traitor because he told us about what you are lamenting to be true? You didn't want to know?
    This is incredibly difficult for me to answer sufficiently without getting into a world of shit. I wish I could tell you because it's important to be honest, but I can't because of oaths sworn (that I actually take seriously). So, let me put it this way: I think Snowden is an absolute traitor for what I know he did that you don't know. Adm. Michael Rogers is a patriot for what he did. The government is light years BEHIND tech for any apocalyptic big-brother scenario you can think of, and everyone's dying to throw AI on top of that.

Accepting that is not the same as accepting defeat.

Also, I'm sorry this is cryptic. I'm not trying to be an annoying shit. I really can't and WON'T disclose things.

Nuff said.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    Just noticed the IHME site now has recommended safe dates to ease social distancing based on date for the model to reach 1 case per million! Shows Texas recommended not to ease until 14 June! Good Grief!

COVID-19
    1 case per million? So what else only strikes 350 people in the US?

I'm guessing more people drown taking baths per year. Your Chances of Dying & Other Health Risks