starting strength gym
Page 251 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1512012412492502512522532613013517511251 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    1 case per million? So what else only strikes 350 people in the US?

I'm guessing more people drown taking baths per year. Your Chances of Dying & Other Health Risks
    Typo, I assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Have you ever traveled in a motorized vehicle? If so you are by your definition an asshole.

A dire economic outlook based around US oil production, and no, renewables will not be the savior:

The Death Of U.S. Oil | OilPrice.com
    Thanks for the link, great piece. This is pretty fucking dark. Shiva will not understand.

There are few moments when we may truly say that things are different now. This is one of those moments. We do not know what awful form the future may take, what rough beast slouches toward Bethlehem to be born.

The game is over for oil. We should place all of our attention on saving the economy.

I hope that we learn to view what is happening as a chance to simplify and to learn to be satisfied with no more than what we need. It is unlikely that we will have much choice.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

If we all know it's dangerous, we wouldn't need men with guns preventing us from gathering.
    I honestly appreciate your input over the course of this conversation but your questions about what role the government has in suppressing individual liberties for the greater good just aren't interesting or germane to this situation because the virus isn't dangerous to the vast majority of us. The data continue to show that it is dangerous only to a very small segment of the population - those who have serious preexisting health issues and the elderly. 99% of the population is protected from COVID19 by their well-functioning immune systems, not by forced isolation. So how do these measures that may protect 1% of the population constitute the "greater good"?

Quote Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
    . So how do these measures that may protect 1% of the population constitute the "greater good"?
    It’s a very fair question. Up until a few months ago, the pro-quarantine-for-all crowd, masks for everyone crowd, better safe than sorry crowd, wanted pure democracy. One person one vote. They wanted to abolish the electoral college. People supported a system where everyone votes for everything.

Now they support the idea that their safety and freedom can only be provided by a tiny minority of people backed by law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Real time BBC news:

Lead government scientist just said right now on the national press conference:

“COVID-19 is a mild illness for the great majority”

CASE CLOSED, SO WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE STILL DOING ON LOCKDOWN THEN?!
    If it turns out that we get another wave, or it turns out that destroying the economy was an ever so bad idea, then holding the same course would be politically expedient. Therefore they now revert to talking about R. Somewhat similar to inflation, in which the BOE claims the magic of 2% and everyone can therefore rest easy knowing the Government has the economy under control. It's all a big illusion, but the majority bend over and take it and the Government relies on that ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    What do you think a reckoning will look like? I am hopeful that a tide can change and make sure this crap doesn't happen again, but I am failing to come up with how that might play out.

I'm afraid that most peoples' apathy will slowly seep in and we'll be right back where we were before all this mess.
    A convention of the States is the only option that doesn't involve blood for lasting, permanent change. This isn't going to be fixed at any ballot boxes, it is systemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    If it turns out that we get another wave, or it turns out that destroying the economy was an ever so bad idea, then holding the same course would be politically expedient. Therefore they now revert to talking about R. Somewhat similar to inflation, in which the BOE claims the magic of 2% and everyone can therefore rest easy knowing the Government has the economy under control. It's all a big illusion, but the majority bend over and take it and the Government relies on that ignorance.
    It's only been about preventing absolute pandemonium, and NOT the virus, since about three days into the lockdown: change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    We'd be on the brink of collapse before they put boots on the ground.
    I've always believed in the right to bear arms as one of the largest deterrents to invasion by a foreign entity. If we as a society however are so weak as to let a disease we understand that has overall fatality rates on par with a severe seasonal flu and that attacks the weak and elderly (not the young and strong!) what are we saying about our resolve to resist anything??!!

If Integrity is " doing the right thing, even when no one is watching" What's it called when you are doing the wrong thing while the whole world is watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    Lets flip this on its head with a hypothetical. Say a foreign power was going to invade. You have two options:
    1 surrender early - accept 70k casualties, mass economic shut down, mass lockdown and curfews for a couple of months, then return to a new world
    2 fight - risk a (much?) higher level of casualties, have some unknown economic impact (unknown to be better or worse), but be sure that your political system and liberties have not changed.

Which would you do?
    I'd have to follow the current advice from the British Police on dealing with foreign invaders i.e. terrorists - "Run, Hide, Tell"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    Lets flip this on its head with a hypothetical. Say a foreign power was going to invade. You have two options:
    1 surrender early - accept 70k casualties, mass economic shut down, mass lockdown and curfews for a couple of months, then return to a new world
    2 fight - risk a (much?) higher level of casualties, have some unknown economic impact (unknown to be better or worse), but be sure that your political system and liberties have not changed.

Which would you do?
    We have a saying in this country: "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by CFinAK View Post
    A convention of the States is the only option that doesn't involve blood for lasting, permanent change. This isn't going to be fixed at any ballot boxes, it is systemic.
    I agree. My state has passed the resolution.

starting strength coach development program
    Another interesting way of looking at Covid-19 vs. other infectious diseases, specifically the flu. I did a quick check of the math (Disclaimer - I'm not a mathematician.) and the numbers in the article seem to align with the data provided by the CDC. I didn't want anyone to accuse me of blindly accepting information from a single source without checking other sources as well.

Flu deaths vs. coronavirus deaths: These reasons show why Covid-19 can be more dangerous than the flu - CNN

"From October 2019 to early April 2020, the flu killed an estimated 24,000 to 62,000 people in the US, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Those numbers are preliminary, and the CDC said it stopped updating its preliminary estimates for this flu season on April 4.

If 62,000 people died from the flu between October 1 and April 4, that means the US had an average of about 331 flu deaths a day.
    By contrast, coronavirus killed more than 62,850 people in the US from the first known death in February through the end of April.
    So from February 6 through April 30, an average of more than 739 people died per day from coronavirus in the US."