starting strength gym
Page 255 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1552052452532542552562572653053557551255 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    22% of 552 Iranians antibody-positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    carefully select the barbeque-ees for rationality, intelligence, and having passed differential equations
    I select my barbeque-ees based on marbling, but I may revise my criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    I KNEW you were going to say that. Fine. Take the midpoint of the other guys’ estimate. That’s about an IFR of 0.18% instead of 0.1%. Are the potential (or realized) harms large enough in your opinion to justify what was done? Or are they small enough to let me have some friends and family over this weekend for a bbq?
    Why are you attacking a strawman here? I'm specifically talking about large mass gatherings, not a bbq.

And assigning high confidence to the midpoint of an estimate with such large bounds is the exact opposite of rational, especially when dealing with risk assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Then from what base do you erect your absolute rational and moral platform from whence you so profoundly posit?
    I'm pretty sure we agree that it is not rational to believe the Earth is flat, given current evidence.

I'm pretty sure we can also agree that locking up and starving children is wrong.

I'm happy to drill down with you to see if we can come to an agreement of what "moral" and "rational" might mean, but I don't think that's necessary here.

I'm making a basic point here. I don't think all societies will thrive under equal levels of governance. And one of the things that distinguish societies here is the character of the individuals.

Surely wisdom and virtuousness play a role here, no?

Let me pose one for you:

Can you imagine a society that would do poorly if left completely to its own devices with minimal restrictions?

And can you imagine one that would thrive with minimal restrictions?

What are some properties that would distinguish these two societies?

This bullshit has to stop. There was an article in the local paper 2 days ago about a local barber that announced she was re-opening today. She had only $200 left in her bank. She called the state board and informed them that she had to work and rather than surreptitiously bring clients to her house, which is illegal, she was being up front with them. She stated that she planned to sanitize all capes and chairs between clients, wear a mask, and not allow people to wait in the shop. They did not provide her shop name in the paper, but I decided to try to find it to book an appointment. I told my wife at the time that I hope there are third party people there that can record any type of penalizing action. I was able to find her site but it said she is not taking new clients. Probably a wise move on her part. I found out today that a Barbour shop received a $1000 fine.

THESE FUCKING GOVERNMENT THUGS NEED TO BE VIDEOED AND SHAMED. IF YOU PLAN TO OPEN YOU SHOULD HAVE A PLAN TO VIDEO ANY INTERACTION WITH LAW OR BOARD MEMBERS AND POST THAT SHIT FOR ALL TO SEE.

All of these small businesses and independent contractors have been told to shut down and have received NO HELP. I know many tattoo artists, hair stylists, nail techs, personal trainers. They received no stimulus, no loans, no unemployment. YOU CANNOT TELL PEOPLE THAT THEY CANNOT PROVIDE FOR THEMSELVES WITH NO ASSISTANCE. Bullshit that people that are getting paid to sit on their couches watching this go down, many of them cheering.

She fucked up, Brian. She told the media. You might as well be challenging the Chief of Police to a fight. Keep your mouth shut locally. Never talk to the media, under any circumstances. It's not necessary, and it will bite you in the ass. Their job right now is to make anybody who is trying to work appear to be irresponsible. The Narrative must be preserved at all costs. She was merely a cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    I KNEW you were going to say that. Fine. Take the midpoint of the other guys’ estimate. That’s about an IFR of 0.18% instead of 0.1%. Are the potential (or realized) harms large enough in your opinion to justify what was done? Or are they small enough to let me have some friends and family over this weekend for a bbq?
    Make sure you contact trace every potential bbq attendee for a minimum of the last 2 weeks, then calculate a detailed risk analysis based on all findings while extrapolating for unknowns, before finally performing a weighted meta-analysis on the calculated risk vs. the level of enjoyment you would obtain from hosting a bbq with the attendees who would receive approval.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    She fucked up, Brian. She told the media. You might as well be challenging the Chief of Police to a fight. Keep your mouth shut locally. Never talk to the media, under any circumstances. It's not necessary, and it will bite you in the ass. Their job right now is to make anybody who is trying to work appear to be irresponsible. The Narrative must be preserved at all costs. She was merely a cost.
    This is obviously true and doesn’t make me any less pissed off.

I agree completely. But we have to be smart now. And we have to talk among ourselves about what we're going to do about it.

Surely wisdom and virtuousness play a role here, no?
    So who defines what is virtuous and wise? You? Me? Donald Trump? Kim Jong-un? Perhaps a committee of elected Representatives? The Bible? The Koran? The Talmud? Socrates? Plato? Daffy Duck? Bugs Bunny? Duck season? Rabbit season?

Here's an example of my relative moral and intellectual rationality:

When I'm cruising down the interstate everybody who is driving faster than me is an asshole, and everybody who is driving slower than me is also an asshole, and if someone pulls up next to me and drives the same speed they are the biggest asshole...

What are some properties that would distinguish these two societies?
    The observers relative definitions of “doing poorly” and “thriving”...

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    You can drive responsibly. You can't gather in mass gatherings responsibly, unless you quarantine yourself for 2 weeks right after attending the said mass gathering.
    Driving is a perfect comparison. No matter what I do someone else can crash into me faster than humanly possible for me to react and then my being on the road increases everyone else's risk of being crashed into.

How do we deal will concerts and such? Do we have to test everyone upon entering? What else should we test them for? Why haven't we been testing for flu?

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Then from what base do you erect your absolute rational and moral platform from whence you so profoundly posit?
    I have an idea of where he pull it.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Why are you attacking a strawman here? I'm specifically talking about large mass gatherings, not a bbq.
    Have many friends? I've been attending BBQ's every weekend during this BS began. 10-20 people each weekend and not all the same people each weekend. So let's say 30 different people combined in April that I spent more than a few minutes in contact with. That's MORE than I have ever had contact with at a concert. Most of the "contact" with people there would be the equivalent of sharing the Walmart. You never actually get close and certainly not for any extended period of time unless you're crowd surfing or something.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Driving is a perfect comparison. No matter what I do someone else can crash into me faster than humanly possible for me to react and then my being on the road increases everyone else's risk of being crashed into.

How do we deal will concerts and such? Do we have to test everyone upon entering? What else should we test them for? Why haven't we been testing for flu?

I have an idea of where he pull it.

Have many friends? I've been attending BBQ's every weekend during this BS began. 10-20 people each weekend and not all the same people each weekend. So let's say 30 different people combined in April that I spent more than a few minutes in contact with. That's MORE than I have ever had contact with at a concert. Most of the "contact" with people there would be the equivalent of sharing the Walmart. You never actually get close and certainly not for any extended period of time unless you're crowd surfing or something.
    How are you still alive? A miracle