starting strength gym
Page 258 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1582082482562572582592602683083587581258 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Rip actually squatted one guy out of the cave, but he ran back in and screamed....

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    To be clear you are a fucking idiot.
    sat back down and again stared at the moving shadows on the cave wall (the virus)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You guys do manage to elect some really good people up there.
    Dems manage to elect some real scum. Given the population of Chicago and Crook County (living and dead) compared to the rest of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by jklymus View Post
    As long as JB has illinois closed and in a state of emergency, hes open to potential funds from the federal government. They just so happen to be asking for 41 billion dollars, which ironically would really help the bankrupt pension program, that corrupt politicians have been kicking down the road for decades.
    McConnell quashed that attempt to bail out the non Kung Flu looming pension debt by saying "Declare bankruptcy. We will not bail states out of long term fiscal mismanagment." Even other Illinois dems were chagrined by the suggestion from the dem state senate president to get the skids greased for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dbm77 View Post
    Interestingly enough, 5 million of my ancestors, 2 million roma gypsies, and 3 million polish nationals were murdered in the Holocaust.
    You faggots who think that this is a mathematics game have no idea what is in store for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    My great grandfather was a gypsy, so where does that put us?
    That puts you in the same position as any of us who have read the stories of our ancestors. Learn your family history and you will find vivid accounts of the same murderous tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    This bullshit has to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by CFinAK View Post
    I am beginning to no longer recognize the country I grew up in.
    Yes. We must be very smart, but not overly careful or fearful.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Surely wisdom and virtuousness play a role here, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    So who defines what is virtuous and wise? You? Me? Donald Trump? Kim Jong-un? Perhaps a committee of elected Representatives? The Bible? The Koran? The Talmud? Socrates? Plato? Daffy Duck? Bugs Bunny? Duck season? Rabbit season?
    Ideally these things evolve through experience and reflection on a societal level, and are encoded in norms, laws, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    What are some properties that would distinguish these two societies?
    The observers relative definitions of “doing poorly” and “thriving”...
    We can use metrics such as the distribution of (physical and mental) health and wealth, the quality of infrastructure, the maturity of political discourse, the prevalence of crime, etc.

Take starting strength, for example. I personally believe that if more people took a rational approach to their physical health, and took strength training seriously, then they, and society by extension, would be doing better, or thriving more.

Surely you're not going full postmodern on me, are you? If you are, we have a lot more work to do before we can reach common ground.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Driving is a perfect comparison. No matter what I do someone else can crash into me faster than humanly possible for me to react and then my being on the road increases everyone else's risk of being crashed into.

How do we deal will concerts and such? Do we have to test everyone upon entering? What else should we test them for? Why haven't we been testing for flu?
    As I've stated, the only way to responsibly attend a large mass gathering is to self isolate for 2 weeks after the event. So sure, you can make the comparison to driving if you're willing to entertain those measures. This is, of course, contingent upon the assumption that large mass gatherings greatly increase the risk for others without self isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Have many friends? I've been attending BBQ's every weekend during this BS began. 10-20 people each weekend and not all the same people each weekend. So let's say 30 different people combined in April that I spent more than a few minutes in contact with. That's MORE than I have ever had contact with at a concert. Most of the "contact" with people there would be the equivalent of sharing the Walmart. You never actually get close and certainly not for any extended period of time unless you're crowd surfing or something.
    It surely depends upon some key variables, such as crowd density, closed vs open spaces, are people singing/yelling/etc.

As for the cut-off, I have no fucking clue. But can we assume that 5 people is probably fine, and 50 thousand people in an indoor mosh pit is not?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    You avoided both of my questions. I’m not assigning any level of confidence to the midpoint of the estimate. I just picked a number in order to frame a question to you. Let me try again without using numbers to distract you:

Was destroying the world’s economy worth it given the risk presented by COVID19?
    I personally don't think so. And I think Sweden proves that. In fact, Sweden could have probably gotten away with even looser restrictions than it did if they had done more on the nursing home front.

And I don't think it's just the economy we're destroying. What we are doing is society destroying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Also since I’m now curious: how many people do you believe I should be ALLOWED to have at MY HOUSE for ribs today?
    See my reply to George.

This whole thing is an exercise in controlling people, the dems love it!

Towards the end of January my wife and 3 kids were all sick. My wife was the worst. She had all the symptoms of covid19 before we ever suspected that there were any cases in the states. It came to a point where I thought that we were going to have to go to the emergency room because she couldn’t get enough air. She did recover at home and is fine now. During this I got a sore throat for a day and then it was gone. For reference I am 52 and my wife is 51. I am also the only one in my family that gets regular exercise and the only one with type O blood which may be a factor. My kids symptoms ranged from a 3 day cold for the youngest (10) to flue like symptoms for the oldest (14). At that time schools around here closed for a few days because everyone was sick. There were not enough teachers to man the classes. I work at a college and this sickness was going around there to. Lots of people were sick and the illness would put the students down for a couple of weeks.

Now a few months later and they are pretty sure that it was covid19 that hit our area back then. In fact it probably hit our country sometime late last year. Everything was all well and good when it was thought to be just a severe flue season, but now that we know it is covid we shut down the country. The system was not overwhelmed then but now that we have a name for it…….

The US needs to get back to work, NOW! Trumps gut in the beginning was right, “the cure is worse than the disease”.

...we have a lot more work to do before we can reach common ground.
    You’re assuming that is a goal of mine, which it’s not. I just enjoy reading my admittedly self-amusing and overly clever responses to your similarly psuedo-intellectual musings...

Speaking of Illinois politicians, a congressman is investigating antibody manufacturers, such as Premier Biotech. He is concerned that false positives will "mislead" people into "false hope".

The Premier Biotech test clearly has tremendous utility. Pessimistically assume a specificity of 0.99, COVID-19 prevalence of 0.05, and an IFR of 0.01. Consider an average ($30K/year) worker, who would rejoin the workforce just a month earlier, if they test positive. To (rationally) deprive them of the test, their life would need to be valued at over $24M. This doesn't seem congruous with existing legal and social norms.

You’re assuming that is a goal of mine, which it’s not. I just enjoy reading my admittedly self-amusing and overly clever responses to your similarly psuedo-intellectual musings...
    Well, aspiring to common ground is a fundamental virtue of good conversation. If you don't see it this way, or you'd rather not engage in conversation, then I understand.

starting strength coach development program
    Whoops.

YouTube