starting strength gym
Page 272 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 1722222622702712722732742823223727721272 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Damn, that was among the most defiant responses to tyranny I have ever seen. Set this woman up a GoFundMe because I want to donate.
    Does anyone know the link to the real GoFund me page? Looks like there are quite a few and I don't know which one is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who are you talking about, Dave? Learn to quote.
    Sorry, I was referencing Mr. Kaul, ivory tower dwelling PhD candidate, entirely insulated from anything even remotely approaching the "real world".

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Damn, that was among the most defiant responses to tyranny I have ever seen. Set this woman up a GoFundMe because I want to donate.
    She was stupid and wanted attention....legally they could open Friday ...so she just had to wait 5 days...she could have spent that time calling her clients and setting up back to back to back appointments for the next couple months...get the place ready with supplies and all the stuff she'll need to have that place humming...she wanted to make a statement

Quote Originally Posted by VincePIC View Post
    Agreed. Apparently the name of her company is Hot Mess Enterprises--which is both one of the best business names ever and ironic considering it's the gov that has created the hot mess she finds herself in.
    The judge in Texas has created a very famous martyr. Very shrewd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainstream View Post
    She was stupid and wanted attention....legally they could open Friday ...so she just had to wait 5 days...she could have spent that time calling her clients and setting up back to back to back appointments for the next couple months...get the place ready with supplies and all the stuff she'll need to have that place humming...she wanted to make a statement
    Kinda like you, Mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAZ View Post
    Sorry, I was referencing Mr. Kaul, ivory tower dwelling PhD candidate, entirely insulated from anything even remotely approaching the "real world".
    That's what I thought, but we need to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Longley View Post
    I don’t know if you lot will care about the UK, but this is too good not to share.

The guy who was responsible for the 2.2 million and 500,000 USA/UK death figures has had to to resign because he broke the lockdown procedures so he could get his dick wet.

Coronavirus: Prof Neil Ferguson quits government role after 'undermining' lockdown - BBC News

He’s been wrong about every pandemic over the last two decades, yet still has his foot in the doors of power. He probably knows all the right pedophiles.
    He has a lot in common with our own Dr. Anthony Fauci. Corruption is the order of the day:

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/s...53844812120066

And this is fun: https://twitter.com/TheRealTypo/stat...970950/photo/1

You must know her personally to understand her personal finances and positioning in this economic disaster.

Otherwise, saying what she COULD have done totally ignorant of her ability to provide for her family or herself would just be silly.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
    I have been monitoring this thread and spot-reviewed for any discussion regarding the legality of cities and/or states forcing business to close. If anyone cares to posit their informed thoughts and argue either way, I would be interested in them and maybe others would. Of course, I may have forgotten or missed this discussion earlier; apologies if so. My own amateur search of the intertube has found little.

In other words, what is Shelley Luther's (God bless her!) legal defense?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I've thought about playing one on TV.

My Wisconsin cousins said that Gov. Evers' emergency order wasn't supposed to go past 60 days. He's extended it and now they're hashing it out in the courts. I tried to search for a link with info on this but I can't find anything.

Even Ted Cruz and AG Barr have said that government agencies have the right to issue emergency orders and shut down businesses. There's all sorts of precedence using them for natural disaster response. I presume there's some sort of time limit on emergency orders like that, but my internet searches have turned up nothing. Maybe somebody can direct me to some sort of online legal resource where a man can find that type of information.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, but I've thought about playing one on TV.

My Wisconsin cousins said that Gov. Evers' emergency order wasn't supposed to go past 60 days. He's extended it and now they're hashing it out in the courts. I tried to search for a link with info on this but I can't find anything.

Even Ted Cruz and AG Barr have said that government agencies have the right to issue emergency orders and shut down businesses. There's all sorts of precedence using them for natural disaster response. I presume there's some sort of time limit on emergency orders like that, but my internet searches have turned up nothing. Maybe somebody can direct me to some sort of online legal resource where a man can find that type of information.
    I think you're going to find that the legality is going to vary state to state depending on the laws in place for that particular state. With a quick search, I was able to locate the related laws in my state.

Everything in quotes is taken directly from the laws referencing a state of emergency (I cut out quite a bit for the sake of addressing the issues I think you and some of the others have been getting at.) -

"If the Governor finds that an emergency has developed or is impending due to any cause, the Governor shall declare a state of emergency by executive order or proclamation. A state of emergency may not continue for longer than 30 days unless the Governor renews the state of emergency. The General Assembly by joint resolution may terminate a state of emergency at any time."

So, here at least, the governor can continue the state of emergency indefinitely, as long as the legislature doesn't shut it down.

"After declaring a state of emergency, the Governor, if the Governor finds it necessary in order to protect the public health, welfare, or safety, may: suspend the effect of any statute or rule or regulation of an agency of the State or a political subdivision."

I'm not a lawyer, but to me, this reads as do whatever they please.

"Direct the control of ingress to and egress from an emergency area, the movement of individuals in the area, and the occupancy of premises in the area."

Since the "area" affected is the entire state, they can control the movements of all individuals within the state.

"Authorize the use of private property, in which event the owner of the property shall be compensated for its use and for any damage to the property."

In this case, not authorizing the use of private property (businesses). This may be a route for a business owner to take if they wanted to recover some of the money lost during the stay at home orders here. They could, if they had a really good lawyer, probably craft an argument that the ordered shutdown constituted "damage" to the property and they should be compensate for it, as required by law. Like I said, I'm not a lawyer, so that may be a really, really big stretch.

Breaking: Ken Paxton just ordered the judge to release Shelley Luther.

5 more days with no revenue. Do you own a business? My guess is no. I own a business and I know that 5 days is a crippling blow to most businesses, let alone the weeks this has dragged on. What makes you think she has the $$$ to get supplies ready when their children are hungry? Really? Oh my hell.

Have you ever seen a hungry child? My guess is no. God forbid I ever see another hungry child in my life--I have seen far too many picking through piles of garbage looking for something to eat. I have seen more economic destruction than I care to in my life (though certainly there are plenty who have seen far worse than I have) and I certainly don't want to see any more of it come here.

...she wanted to make a statement."
    No shit...and it was a damn fine statement that needed to be made--RESPECT.

I see the Texas AG has felt the public heat on this one and told that stinker of a judge to let her out. People really don't like it when men bully women and the Texas AG wants this fire put out before it turns into an inferno. The public is not on board any longer with these restrictive measures.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    In this case, not authorizing the use of private property (businesses). This may be a route for a business owner to take if they wanted to recover some of the money lost during the stay at home orders here. They could, if they had a really good lawyer, probably craft an argument that the ordered shutdown constituted "damage" to the property and they should be compensate for it, as required by law. Like I said, I'm not a lawyer, so that may be a really, really big stretch.
    Thanks for the info, that's interesting.

Again, no legal experience, but I see inconsistency and discrimination being the main avenues for filing some coronoa-claims. There's no precedent for what makes an entity or activity essential vs. nonessential, as Rip and others have mentioned, and no definition for what those terms actually mean, to say nothing of how they've been applied. Religious organizations in particular got thrown into the nonessential category, which seems ripe for for a lawsuit once some church or synagogue nuts up and hires a lawyer.

Hypothetical case scenarios: The location that cuts my hair also sold lots of hair care products. I can't walk in and buy those products at Great Clips, but I can buy them at Wal Mart. Why weren't hair salons at least allowed to maintain the this portion of their business? Restaurants deliver food, why can't Great Clips do curb side pickup for products? People bought protein bars and shakes at Target, why not allow my gym to at least sell those as well? Beer and liquor is sold at Kroger, why not allow bars to sale fifths of vodka and 12 packs of hard seltzer (I at least know the answer to that question in Wisconsin, and it's called the Tavern League). Smells like some flavor of discrimination to me.

There's my be some problems with these scenarios, but even if judges throw out 99% of the cases, at least a few will settle in favor of the plaintiff.

States are losing out on tax revenue, next on the agenda is class-action lawsuit payments and legal fees. Proxy wars, here we come.