starting strength gym
Page 292 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1922422822902912922932943023423927921292 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Not because I'm a thoughtless sheep...
    You are, and this must be one of the most pathetic things I've ever read. Your poor girlfriend.

No more piling on Spacediver. He's one of these rare people who was born a slave, who knows it, and aspires to nothing better than slavery. He will be ignored, and I hope he stops posting -- he's made himself a punching bag, and he doesn't even understand how.

Switzerland fully reopening today.

Their death rate is essentially indistinguishable from ours (Swiss have 213 deaths/1M pop. vs 245/1M pop. for us).

I'd just like to say that spacediver's views do not represent those of all Torontonians, let alone all Canadians.

To spacediver: If you genuinely believe that following these particular laws to the letter is essential for protecting the health and well being of others, then do you man. However, if you're just doing it because the man said so, or you're worried about getting caught, I'd advise lightening up a little. You can both bathe in Purell afterwards if you think it's necessary, but barring any factors you haven't shared here, I'm pretty sure you could hug the kid without being responsible for the downfall of society.

We live in the same city, and I wasn't even aware of the "laws" regarding social distancing because besides having to stand in some lines and availing myself of the provided hand sanitizer at stores, they haven't really stopped me from going about my day sans mask and gloves. Hell, I saw my first bylaw officers down at the beach yesterday, where my girlfriend and I visited my folks, and went out for a walk with my dog. The bylaw officers seemed more interested in keeping gawkers from hassling the suddenly famous family of foxes that have taken up residency under the boardwalk than handing out tickets for violations of social distancing.

All this is to say that the legal consequences are on par with J walking or not picking up after your dog. Obviously you have to make your own decision about how much riskier noncompliance is, and that's your right. Just saying "it's illegal" is a cop out, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    From what I have seen, the data actually suggest that the top-tier candidates almost never will get hired. I will try to dig up the articles/data if you are interested.

]
    Sure!

My observation is that in order to prevent nepotism, the good ‘ole boys club, and to promote diversity, fairness and justice, we’ve created consensus thinking. Additional departments with their own special interests are often involved in deeply technical disciplines of which they have no knowledge. They all get a say or veto power in things like hiring committees and making policy.

The result is unqualified managers hired by lowest common denominator.

My claim is the lowest common denominator is often a very risk adverse personality. This explains global shut down for a minor contagious disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No more piling on Spacediver. He's one of these rare people who was born a slave, who knows it, and aspires to nothing better than slavery. He will be ignored, and I hope he stops posting -- he's made himself a punching bag, and he doesn't even understand how.
    But let me say one more thing: SD is the kind of people who have enabled this situation to destroy our economies. The government has and continues to focus on the virus as the excuse to seize and exert this power. The virus is bullshit, merely the tool they are using, most of us know this, but the farm animals that comprise the general public -- the 25-year-old people walking around in masks (which have turned out to be a handy identifier) -- are continually made afraid by the media and quasi-scientific types like SD. They have been given a new religion: SCIENCE, which is to be believed without question exactly like every other religion in the world's history. Faith in Fauci is the new test of your commitment to the cause. Poor little Greta Thunberg, largely forgotten in the recent and more urgent plea for SCIENCE, is a perfect example of what is expected of its acolytes.

The only remaining question as they slowly remove the heel from our neck is what will we do next time this is tried. There will be a next time, maybe as soon as October but maybe a couple of years from now if we get too testy with them this time. You know this, so you'd better make your plans now. Next time they decide to shut us down, what will you do? What will we do? A sufficiently large minority of us can lend a spine to the rest, but Spacediver is a threat, because he is intelligent, he sounds reasonable, he's an obedient slave, and he is what they must have if they are to win this contest. The stakes are very high, ladies and gentlemen -- higher than they've ever been.

We have suddenly become willing to commit suicide on the alter of government. Hawaii, with a stay at home order: 1.4 million people, 10 million visitors a year, 629 COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths for a RDC19 of 0.0013%, and 34% unemployment. For comparison, during the Great Depression unemployment was 25%. This is nothing other than suicide.

But let me say one more thing: SD is the kind of people who have enabled this situation to destroy our economies. The government has and continues to focus on the virus as the excuse to seize and exert this power. The virus is bullshit, merely the tool they are using, most of us know this, but the farm animals that comprise the general public -- the 25-year-old people walking around in masks (which have turned out to be a handy identifier) -- are continually made afraid by the media and quasi-scientific types like SD. They have been given a new religion: SCIENCE, which is to be believed without question exactly like every other religion in the world's history. Faith in Fauci is the new test of your commitment to the cause. Poor little Greta Thunberg, largely forgotten in the recent and more urgent plea for SCIENCE, is a perfect example of what is expected of its acolytes.

The only remaining question as they slowly remove the heel from our neck is what will we do next time this is tried. There will be a next time, maybe as soon as October but maybe a couple of years from now if we get too testy with them this time. You know this, so you'd better make your plans now. Next time they decide to shut us down, what will you do? What will we do? A sufficiently large minority of us can lend a spine to the rest, but Spacediver is a threat, because he is intelligent, he sounds reasonable, and he is what they must have if they are to win this contest. The stakes are very high, ladies and gentlemen -- higher than they've ever been.

But we have suddenly become willing to commit suicide on the alter of government. Hawaii, with a stay at home order: 1.4 million people, 10 million visitors a year, 629 COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths for a RDC19 of 0.0013%, and 34% unemployment. For comparison, during the Great Depression unemployment was 25%. This is nothing other than suicide.
    Unlikely anything different given the nature of this situation. They pushed pretty hard and the majority complied even if they did not agree. One answer is for people to choose who they want to take money from. In a prior post I stated that far too many people rely on the government or entities spawned from the government to earn an income. As long as this continues to be the case, the majority will always comply.

The product of the media is not information, but fear: Study: Virus death toll in NYC worse than official tally - ABC News

Meanwhile, the NYCHD data as of today: COVID-19: Data - NYC Health

Still aren’t opening the gyms in the UK. Looking at “the plan” it looks like probably not until August :-/ Appears they are going to open pubs before gyms. I’m not getting caught in that trap again. As soon as equipment becomes available I’m buying it and cancelling the gym membership. To an extent business owners have to make the move first and customers will crowd around to support them, if they go along with the a government and refuse to fight, then they are going to lose customers.

I’ve recently pledged money to pay for a court case against the Government as my contribution to doing something, it’s not much, but at least it seems to me like I’m not totally cucked by the state. At this point, I will carry on pledging more cash as things progress.

starting strength coach development program
    The product of the media is not information, but fear: Study: Virus death toll in NYC worse than official tally - ABC News
    Indeed, this "excess mortality" is an estimate, not actual data. This defeats the whole purpose of looking at excess mortality. The report acknowledges the possibility that the lockdown, rather than COVID-19, is causing death:
    social distancing practices, the demand on hospitals and health care providers, and public fear related to COVID-19 might lead to delays in seeking or obtaining lifesaving care.
    Of course, the news article does not.