starting strength gym
Page 300 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2002502902982993003013023103504008001300 ... LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Default P

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brothers View Post
    It’s wild for me to see this. In the last couple of days, I’ve noticed a rash of headlines about how estrogen is the key to protecting against COVID-19. As an example:

NYT: Can Estrogen and Other Sex Hormones Help Men Survive Covid-19?

Is someone lying to us??
    No.

Well, yes, if you are consuming news media or especially social media, and listening to politicians, odds are good someone is lying to you.

The testosterone/estrogen risks for covid, and the seeming contradiction, is not someone lying. It’s what happens when medical insights are generated and reported in real time. They sometimes seem self-contradictory and are sometimes just wrong.

Even for diseases and treatments that are well-established and have been exhaustively studied for years, we sometimes see that things are actually opposite to what we think we have proven.

This is why my primary contribution to the arguments over covid #s on this thread has been pretty unsatisfying: basically, in real time we don’t have good numbers, and have to work with shitty ones if we want to do anything. The corollary of this is that clinical insights generated during this phase are likely to miss the mark or be outright wrong (E.g. effect of ACE inhibitors, utility of hydroxychloroquine, how/when to ventilate). Testosterone/estrogen and the male/female effect on covid mortality may be one of these things that we misunderstand for a while before getting it right.

So you would be reckless to take estrogen or testosterone for covid purposes (unless you are enrolled in a clinical trial, in which case you are altruistic).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This guy has enormous balls. He's a good man, and we're seeing a lot of bad men recently. Bad women too: Gretchen Whitmer Targets 77-Year-Old Barber's Livelihood, Strips Operating License - American Priority

And things are about to get interesting in Washington: https://twitter.com/LynnwoodTimes/st...29498966847494

I knew this guy was a piece of shit, but I didn't figure that Civil War II would start there.
    He doesn't have enough cops to make it stick.

And things are about to get interesting in Washington: https://twitter.com/LynnwoodTimes/st...29498966847494

I knew this guy was a piece of shit, but I didn't figure that Civil War II would start there.
    I'm actually a little encouraged by this. It's such a bald-faced attempt to grab power that it might actually have a positive effect. If all the governors told their subjects that "if you test positive we'll lock you and your whole family in your house for two weeks", I would hope people would refuse to get tested thereafter.

Bam - new cases drop to zero overnight and now we can open back up.

Of course, I know that's naïve. They will just move the goal posts again or come up with a civil penalty for refusing a test. But at some point the sheep have to wake up, right?

Right guys?

Guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Hope not. I'd prefer people to stand up and say "fuck that" before it came to that. Seattle has a strong but silent more conservative/moderate undercurrent, so we'll see if that silent majority can assert themselves.

Of course, this once great city does mimic SF so we may be doomed until the big one hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Won't need cops. Just "scary" stuff on social media paired with shaming.

I mean, people really do wear their mask in the car. And the new greeting is not a hello and handshake but, "Maintain your distance."

It would be funny if you saw it on a TV show/movie 6 months ago. Hell, it would be funny in real life now, if it didn't ruin so many lives and turn neighbors against each other.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Hope not. I'd prefer people to stand up and say "fuck that" before it came to that. Seattle has a strong but silent more conservative/moderate undercurrent, so we'll see if that silent majority can assert themselves.

Of course, this once great city does mimic SF so we may be doomed until the big one hits.
    I think you're doomed, and then the big one hits. Inslee and the MILF Whitmer are in a contest to see which one can get assassinated first.

Irrefutable proof that the virus is not that scary.

Vaccine research: Thousands of people want to be exposed to Covid-19 for science

Wonder how many of these same folks would want to sign up for a "human challenge study" for Ebola.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Irrefutable proof that the virus is not that scary.

Vaccine research: Thousands of people want to be exposed to Covid-19 for science

Wonder how many of these same folks would want to sign up for a "human challenge study" for Ebola.

sb
    I'd be more apt to do a "human challenge study" (intentional exposure to covid19)

than to sign up for a trail-vaccine study.

("new" nRNA vaccines that were cooked up in a couple of months).

Permanent closure of 23 miles of city streets to cars necessary due to CCP virus: Seattle will permanently close 20 miles of residential streets to most vehicle traffic | The Seattle Times

I thought we were going to have at least 5 years.

There appears to be a strong correlation between low T and cardiovascular disease / increased morbidity. Chronically low T likely does cause endothelial dysfunction, increased risk of CVD and a correspondingly higher mortality due to CCP virus.

What has happened with hydroxychloroquine? Has anyone looked into the trials and data to see if they were set up properly? My suspicion is that they will treat with hydroxychloroquine only after the acute viral infection is transitioning to a bacterial or aseptic pneumonia that does not respond to antivirals. As a result of poor protocol, they will wrongfully determine the drug is ineffective.

Suramin/autism is interesting. If Suramin does effectively treat autism, it is possible that many cases of autism are being caused by an unknown/undetected zoonotic virus or parasite.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you're doomed, and then the big one hits. Inslee and the MILF Whitmer are in a contest to see which one can get assassinated first.
    I think you're right. And I'm saying that being ok with the big one...