starting strength gym
Page 307 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2072572973053063073083093173574078071307 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Thanks no doubt of all the academicians my alma mater, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, Jackson County is one of the few downstate blue counties here. So the sheriff, state's attorney, and other elective executive offices here aren't about to rock the boat. The sheriffs of Perry County, on the North border, and Williamson County on the East border have both declared they won't enforce the order.

I might ask you the same question about the other collar counties around Crook County. Besides Kane County, how many other sheriffs are pushing back? Because if it's more general than just Kane County, it doesn't bode well for dems keeping the governor's office on Team Blue in the next state election cycle. I doubt that it will shift the balance in the Illinois General Assembly enough to take the majority from dems. There are too many dead who still vote in Baghdad by the Lake, AKA, Shitcago.
    Kendall, DuPage and Kane have all announced that they won’t be enforcing, as well as some counties up by the Wisconsin boarder.

I’m surprised too that these counties aren’t playing along, they’re mainly blue.

Although Aurora has cancelled all of its summer events, closed the pools all summer, and all the parks are closed indefinitely. Since they’re the second biggest city in IL, I’m assuming they’re playing along and being a good little city, so they can get that federal funding.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Wrap your mask in tinfoil, wear a tin foil hat, only talk to the cashiers in beeps and clicks. If the stores are going to make people wear masks, at least have a little fun with it.
    On the one or two occasions there was absolutely no way around wearing a mask, I wore my ISIS-colored Keffiyeh. I sincerely doubt anybody connected the dots between the government forcing us to wear head garb in public and islamofascism, but it sure did freak those motherfuckers at gun store out. Yes Turner's, of all places, (the California retain chain equivalent of Bass Pro Shop) was forcing people to wear masks and even taking people's temperature using those cheap chinese forehead scanners before letting anyone inside the store in 100+ weather. I was the only one of the three of us in line that didn't have a temperature of 100 because I wasn't wearing pants and a baseball hat. Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    It doesn’t mean anything if they don’t know it.
    It's amusing that you think they don't know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Which is great, but it doesn’t mean anything if they don’t know it. Not that I’m suggesting you should want to put your head above the parapet, to do so is to invite all kinds of hell that most of us would run a thousand miles to avoid, but you aren’t really making a statement unless it’s done as a direct challenge. It was the look on your face during that interview which looked like you might do something to get justice for the SS gyms that are likely now out of business.
    I'm wholeheartedly behind this statement, but I think it's important to remember that once a person starts to go to mainstream news stations with things like this, that person has effectively moved the battle into enemy territory. As good and righteous as it feels to make a statement, in the long run it isn't always the most effective way to win the war.

The big advantage the media has is that they get to frame reality however they want, at least for the people who actually tune in to what they broadcast. As much as I hate them, millions of viewers watch the content the major media players produce. A dissenter can put out a very well intentioned, carefully thought out statement, but if the media gets ahold of it they can make that statement say whatever they want. The majority of the time it's better to not even play their game.

I applaud people like Shelley Luther and Karl Manke for doing what they're doing. If there were a way to effectively organize and reproduce their defiance I think the lockdowns would be finished. The cold reality of the situation is that they had opportunities, took them, and got lucky.

Plenty of people have stood up to these lockdowns. Some did it too early, and public sentiment hadn't swung far enough in a positive direction for their stand to take hold. Others did it in states where sheriffs and elected officials weren't willing to stand up and put their weight behind their stand. They got handcuffed and slapped around like those poor souls on the coasts. Shelley Luther had the good luck of getting the Texas supreme court on board with her, and Manke has a sherriff that refuses to enforce the governors decree. (As an aside, I used to live just north of where Manke is operating his barbershop. I'm extemely proud of the stand he and the Owosso official are taking)

Fighting the media is like a guerilla war. It's won by attrition, not by decisive victories.

I mentioned it a while ago, but I'd really recommend checking out thelastpsychiatrist.com and reading through his analyses on what's going on behind the scenes in the news if you haven't. He stopped updating years ago, but it's eery gow spot on he was. Marshall McLuhan, Bruce Charlton, and Neil Postman have also written extensively about how the modern media influence the world.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    I opine that those who have stayed open or re-opened did not do so "to make a statement."
    They were making the statement that they needed to open their businesses in order to survive, but doing so in a way that didn’t make them seem revolutionary. It’s a fine line.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    On the one or two occasions there was absolutely no way around wearing a mask, I wore my ISIS-colored Keffiyeh. I sincerely doubt anybody connected the dots between the government forcing us to wear head garb in public and islamofascism, but it sure did freak those motherfuckers at gun store out. Yes Turner's, of all places, (the California retain chain equivalent of Bass Pro Shop) was forcing people to wear masks and even taking people's temperature using those cheap chinese forehead scanners before letting anyone inside the store in 100+ weather. I was the only one of the three of us in line that didn't have a temperature of 100 because I wasn't wearing pants and a baseball hat. Go figure...
    Ha, that's a fantastic idea. I actually have one I bought for the boundary waters a few years back. I'll probably wear it to my gym once it finally opens.

If you put on a middle-eastern style robe when you go grocery shopping as well, it might make all the soccer moms think twice about whether masks are really a good idea. Throw some bulky "suicide-vest" sweaters on underneath as well for extra effect.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    It's amusing that you think they don't know it.
    They turn a blind eye, or they bust you. The fact is, as Rip rightly said, they are going to do it again and each time it gets that much more difficult to object. I’ve totally ignored the British edicts as far as I can and supported ‘Non essential’ businesses that are operating covertly, but I can’t think what else I can do. Everyone around me seems to be cheering on the lockdown like lemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post

The most vocal of the supporters of restrictions are motivated by (IMO based on living in a hot bed of new wave "liberalism") the following in order:

1- Free money for no work (i.e. one big giant paid vacation they deserve because life has been hard.)
    2- A devastating economy looks bad and negatively impacts Trump's chances at re-election. Its worth it to endure the bad economy for this (see #1.)
    3- People may get sick and its the right thing to do (this is a very distant third.)

Like you said, this is no longer about the virus and hasn't been for quite some time.
    Interesting. I actually think the first part of #3 is most important: the media has been relentless in creating hysteria. I've seen friends -- some of whom I thought were quite smart and evidence-based--do completely insane and ridiculous shit out of fear from this virus.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Ha, that's a fantastic idea. I actually have one I bought for the boundary waters a few years back. I'll probably wear it to my gym once it finally opens.

If you put on a middle-eastern style robe when you go grocery shopping as well, it might make all the soccer moms think twice about whether masks are really a good idea. Throw some bulky "suicide-vest" sweaters on underneath as well for extra effect.
    I have a full face balaclava in reserve with some mirrored aviator sunglasses in the event I absolutely have to get in somewhere and some overzealous gatekeeper decides they will insist on more than simply advising me to wear one. Looks sinister as Hell.

As an interesting aside, Gauleiter Pritzker informed us all this week that the laws for wearing a mask while armed as an offense were going to be suspended for those with concealed carry permits. Combined with my own CCW permit such attire just might test the limits of this suspension.

But as I have said, I simply avoid going into places where I know or think I might be required to don a mask.