starting strength gym
Page 319 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2192693093173183193203213293694198191319 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,190 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You may be a good disciple, but you really don't know what you're talking about. Like that "overwhelm the health care system" bullshit in your earlier post, you look really ignorant to those of us that have been following this closely.
    "Learn how to quote, so people know what you're typing about." So says the wise sage.

"It's the pig-headed attachment to the supposed details of the disease that pisses us off."

I deduce you're answering darrowdisciple. Talk about pig-headed! So if I follow your "logic," you're dismissing his reasoned argument - doctors wear masks for an actual reason (which echos your friend Dr. Sully's exact argument) -because it doesn't fit your one-dimensional narrative? I agree with your base argument that businesses (and therefore, the economy) have been unduly affected, especially low-incidence places like Wichita Falls, TX. I agree that closing the entire country makes no sense. But are you now a denier that surgeons should wear surgical mask, and that inferences can be made from there? And if an older person or someone in lesser health wants to benefit from your training, but is worried about not taking COVID seriously, are you going to refuse their money? If so, maybe just stick to "hip drive," which is why I've been coming to this site for four years. You're good at that and I respect it. But your proclamations on health policy deserve the same ridicule you regularly give to people whose squat depth is an inch too high.
    Anyone with an education knows that "supposed details" of a disease deserve attention. Funny how you and the other non-experts already have it all figured out, while the actual experts says "there is so much we still don't know." But you've lived in your personal echo chamber so long you've convinced yourself only you have the answers. You're starting to act like a cult leader.
    But you and some of your sycophants seem completely out of your depth with this.

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    I will be sure to ask my doctor to what he is being "obedient" the next time he wears a mask. Perhaps it signals the obvious idea that spreading the virus to others needlessly is not the right of any person. You want to smoke? Do so where your smoke does not affect anyone else. You want to breathe? Yes, breathe, in environments where transmission is likely? You wear a mask, even if you've tested negative, since false negatives are common, and since you can shed the virus even when you show no symptoms, unlike the often inappropriately cited influenza. Nobody says one has to care about their fellow man, but one doesn't get to ignore the basic right to be free of one's ignorance.
    So would you agree that having a gun on your person at all times also a good idea, even if you may not need it to protect yourself or others?

Maybe I’m late to the party.....nonetheless, I am curious if y’all have heard about the Salem, OR salon owner. Her story is outrageous. Long story short, OSHA (yes fucking OSHA) threatened a 70k fine for opening her doors, but then later issued her a 14k for operating an “unsafe work environment” for her employees. She was threaded with continued fines should she continue to operate. She was on record stating CPS (child protective services) came to her house, searched her home, and interrogated her children with out her present. WTF. This is indeed 10000000% times more terrifying than this virus. Seriously.

From a voice of reason since the out set Knut Wittkowski, just throwing another log on the fire:

Epidemiologist slams coronavirus lockdowns: 'We could open up again and forget the whole thing' | Just The News

sb

Quote Originally Posted by TDinBristol View Post
    doctors wear masks for an actual reason
    Only in some circumstances, and recommendations against surgical use of because the benefit is not there are not new. Your doctor is pretty unlikely to be wearing random scraps of cloth salvaged from the back of his closet.

Quote Originally Posted by TDinBristol View Post
    Funny how you and the other non-experts already have it all figured out, while the actual experts says "there is so much we still don't know."
    Apparently you've managed to ignore this entire thread examining the current state of conflicting claims, studies, assumptions and reports. We're questioning because of the unknowns and asserting that allowing dictatorial powers to those who don't bear the consequences is both morally wrong and counterproductive.

Oh wait, you can't have missed that, so you're just a liar.

I read each post carefully, and I cannot thank you enough. I felt like an archeologist who, after decades of futility, unearths an ancient, glowing (maybe it's just my computer screen) tablet containing all of the mysterious wisdom of the universe. I immediately emailed a friend at Johns Hopkins, and she's already tendered her resignation, along with colleagues at M.I.T., U of Washington, the CDC and NIH. Osterholm at the University of Minnesota's CIDRAP (that's cidrap.umn.edu for those still foolish enough to pursue obsolete notions like science) hasn't come over from the dark side, but he's always been a prig, what with his spot-on predictions, and reliance on data and all. We'll probably just have to forget him. We're planning daily incantations to the glowing, almost-humming (2001 A Space Odyssey was a hell of a picture, wasn't it?) collection of pristine, serenely worded genius.

Then we're going to prove once and for all that the moon landings WERE filmed in a studio in Burbank, and there WAS a shooter on the grassy knoll, and there ARE black helicopters waiting at the UN to capture us all and put probes up our keisters, and... well, don't even get me started on Roswell, and Big Foot, and Lock Ness, and....

I've come to believe that the whole situation is very reminiscent of experiences I had throughout my K-12 education. It's the whole "if none of us do the assignment, the teacher can't fail all of us" proposition. But instead it has morphed into, "if we all stay at home and don't work, the government will have to meet our needs." It's as if there is a fear that if I go to work and provide for my family that people might expect everyone to go to work and provide for their families. It seems so selfish and cowardly.

I can honestly say that this experience, even more that my multiple tours as a Soldier, has destroyed my faith in my fellow man. I knew that most people are soft and want to be sheep. I never knew the extent that emotional and intellectual laziness could rule their decisions.

It's 1030 and I'm drinking Weller Antique 107 and working spreadsheets. Cannot imagine many things less inspiring.

All of the fury at the "state" and the "government" should puzzle most people. Are we not a democratic republic, with the right to vote to choose our leaders, and to replace them through our votes when we see fit? Are not our laws, including those that wisely enable emergency declarations by the elected executives, passed by our legislators, upon whom we also vote by right, and who we have the right to replace as well?

Most of us, if we understand our country, internalized Lincoln's words sometime around the 4th grade, that we have a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people." And we also have learned, through years of covering our ears at the howls of frustration from those too lazy or uninterested to invest in the hard work of genuine citizenship, that the loudest and angriest voices are seldom the wisest ones.

I remain waiting patiently for a fact to support your invective. Your writing on strength training suggests you know the concept well. I have learned a lot from your writing, and am hopeful that facts will enter your discussion. If I want angry, fact-free abuse, I imagine I can find it on any street corner, usually from someone waving a bottle.
    So if the majority of people want the lock downs to end, a small minority of emotionally-stunted tyrants won't let them, that's "rule by the people"?

I've never seen someone drink the kool-aid like this before. Not even Bruno was this bad.

Perhaps it signals the obvious idea that spreading the virus to others needlessly is not the right of any person.
    I hear variations on this line quite often. I think it represents a fundamental misunderstanding of what a right is. Do you actually believe that people don't want to wear a mask so they can exercise their right to infect you with a respiratory disease?

You wear a mask, even if you've tested negative, since false negatives are common, and since you can shed the virus even when you show no symptoms, unlike the often inappropriately cited influenza.
    Did you read the sciencemag article posted in this thread? This one.

All of the fury at the "state" and the "government" should puzzle most people. Are we not a democratic republic, with the right to vote to choose our leaders, and to replace them through our votes when we see fit? Are not our laws, including those that wisely enable emergency declarations by the elected executives, passed by our legislators, upon whom we also vote by right, and who we have the right to replace as well?

Most of us, if we understand our country, internalized Lincoln's words sometime around the 4th grade, that we have a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people." And we also have learned, through years of covering our ears at the howls of frustration from those too lazy or uninterested to invest in the hard work of genuine citizenship, that the loudest and angriest voices are seldom the wisest ones.
    Since we're tossing around Lincoln quotes, what are your thoughts on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution.

starting strength coach development program
    Bellmawr PD is now issuing summons, for violating the executive order, to all patrons of Atilis Gym. The gym owners vow to cover all legal costs.

People are trying to cancel one of the co-owners for his 2007 drunk driving accident. He deadlifts 600.