starting strength gym
Page 323 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2232733133213223233243253333734238231323 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,230 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If the grocery store wants me to wear a mask, and I want to shop in the store, I will wear a mask -- it's the grocery store owner's store, not mine, and it's my decision about how important it is for me to shop in the store. But 25-year-old kids driving down the street by themselves in a car with the windows rolled up are fucking pussies. Binary? I guess so. Some things are arithmetical like that. But the actual problem is the illegal orders from local government that mandate masks. Obeying illegal orders has gotten a lot of people in a lot of trouble over the years. But you go right ahead, TD.
    I don't follow your statement about 25-year-olds. They're pussies for driving with their windows rolled up? Did you mean they're driving with masks on? Maybe they're going from one store to another and just leaving it on for the duration. Or maybe they have a condition 25-years-olds can have (asthma, diabetes, cancer) and choose to be extra cautious. I mean, who knows or cares? Wearing a mask in the car is their choice, for whatever reason, and not a mandated behavior, so why are you so certain of them being pussies? But your judgmental nature seems to show itself at every turn, almost reflexively. No doubt lawsuits will ensue about masks and other restrictions, which is how "illegal orders" get invalidated, fairly quickly, by process. If my law books are still correct, we follow these until such time they're declared illegal, or we risk penalty. If masks are declared "illegal orders" a lot of people will probably opt to keep wearing them, based on the advice of health experts. But my government says I have to wear my seatbelt when driving (even though the only person harmed would be me) and my government won't let me drink while driving or use my phone (on the grounds doing so may bring harm to others), and I haven't heard those are "illegal orders" even though they limit my choice and freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    The GoFundMe raised $40,000 in two days.

The campaign has been reported for violating GoFundMe’s terms. One person who reported says he did so because the campaign supports “illegal activity.” GoFundMe has yet to publicly issue a ruling.
    ~100 NJ gyms are moving to open June 1st. This situation is going to escalate:
    To all members of this group: I just got word from a close friend and gym member who’s a member of the local police department in our town. He let me know of an email from the State AG that went out last night to all local police stating clearly that the state will take all steps to make sure gyms don’t reopen before the emergency order is lifted.
    If local PDs refuse to act, the state will order the County Sheriff or County Prosecutors office to do so, and they will.
    I also need to remind everyone that opening illegally will void your insurance policies for personal injury or illness EVEN IF gym members sign new liability waivers, and that monetary risk is far greater than any fines the police will impose.
    I’m not taking any position on this other than to inform group members of the significant risks of opening early. But on a personal note I’ll say this situation really sucks.
    Some independent gym owners may be abstaining from this effort due to their use of illegal drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    Great point Mark, that’s a huge one as urban voters with different needs, seem to trample on rural ways of life.
    Urban voters seem to be especially needed. Something, something... a country boy can survive.

In the context of these two things:

Study claiming new coronavirus can be transmitted by people without symptoms was flawed | Science | AAAS

https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*f...nABXIlwpRw.png

and keeping in mind that the death coding is skewed heavily in favor of COVID-19 for various reasons, who needs to wear masks (actual N95 masks, not colorful/newly fashionable pieces of cloth) and where do they need to be worn? Further, are you of the opinion that we can stop this disease from following its normal natural progression, and thus we should interrupt our normal herd immunity response to it by having everybody wear a fucking mask? You don't want us to be immune? Stupidass earlier suggested that I said doctors do not need to wear masks, and this does not merit a response. Please do not insult my intelligence by jumping on this reddit-level bandwagon and mischaracterize my argument. Reddit is where you three got organized, right?

Hah...Not on Reddit......I saw that study, from Feb 3 about the previous study. I've also seen studies that disagree. My point is there are legitimate reasons to believe that masks help and its not about blind obedience.

Re: Herd Immunity. Polio, Diptheria, Smallpox, Pertussis, Mumps, Measels, Rubella were mostly eliminated due to vaccines. I'd much rather get a shot than have a repeat of the Spanish flu where over 500,000 Americans died.

If it is as deadly as you seem to believe, I suggest that you assume some modicum of responsibility for the older people in your life -- the only ones at actual risk of death -- and stay out of my gym and hamburger joint. Like you've always done before, like a responsible adult, and stop making me responsible for your problems.
    Hah...Not on Reddit......I saw that study, from Feb 3 about the previous study. I've also seen studies that disagree. My point is there are legitimate reasons to believe that masks help and its not about blind obedience.

Re: Herd Immunity. Polio, Diptheria, Smallpox, Pertussis, Mumps, Measels, Rubella were mostly eliminated due to vaccines. I'd much rather get a shot than have a repeat of the Spanish flu where over 500,000 Americans died.

I'm not making anyone responsible for my problems. My family and I all are assuming a tremendous amount of responsibility: Not seeing ANY relatives, having our nanny and housekeeper stay home (while still paying them), etc. Not blowing my horn here, there are plently of selfish reasons to keep them on the payroll. But we are in a situation where libertarian responses may result in a pretty terrible number of deaths. I would one day love to see WFAC, just not right now.

Still, I'm curious - do you think only the old and sick are at risk? If it were everyone from children to the healthiest of the healthy, would you then follow regulations? If you wouldn't then there's no need to make the argument about who is at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by heygoml View Post
    One word in your comment reveals the issue: "recommend". "Recommend" has become "required" by order from many mayors and governors. And we're being primed for compliance with statements like "mask wearing is the new normal." It's amazing how many people have quickly and willingly complied. See why this is a problem for many in this community?
    Yeah. It sucks to be told what to do. In fact, we know that lowering the speed limit from will result in fewer injuries. Yet we choose to have higher speed limits despite that understanding. Is it your understanding that masks are useless? Or have you decided that a few deaths are worth it for you to not wear your mask?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    I guess the RN wasn't good enough, so here's an authoritative source.

From the horse's mouth: Twitter: Fauci explains masks

"It might make people feel a little better"..."and their are unintended consequences"

You have to see the big picture to understand what is really going on here
    Not sure what you mean by "big picture." In any case Fauci updated his statements since then as more information became available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I dunno, from the posts of the folks from NYC here, it seems that the five boroughs have bigger problems in the consciousness of the occupants of those spaces far more serious than the mere Kung Flu. Blind obedience being foremost among them.
    Or....its because we all know previously healthy people who died from the disease. Or possibly its because we know doctors, nurses, cops and EMTs who have been witnesses to the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnygoldbear View Post
    Wow small world! I live in Elgin, bang centre of Moray/middle of nowhere.

Yup win win for Queen Nicola unfortunately. I do think it would be better for all parties if Scotland were independent, but that's another story.
    Can you wait until me and my girlfriend retire from the navy in a few years before going independent so we can get settle North of the border first. I love Moray. Fond memories, not just from spending time there with her, but from tearing Elgin up when at the RAF bases.

Not a good analogy. I have yet to hear of the negligent or intentional discharge of a COVID mask injuring or killing anyone. Have you? Besides, the mask is really not to prevent acquiring the virus, but rather to prevent spreading the virus. So, obviously, in order best to avoid shooting someone, don't carry a gun. Q.E.D.

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    Most of us, if we understand our country, internalized Lincoln's words sometime around the 4th grade, that we have a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people." And we also have learned, through years of covering our ears at the howls of frustration from those too lazy or uninterested to invest in the hard work of genuine citizenship, that the loudest and angriest voices are seldom the wisest ones.
    Protesting, civil disobedience, refusing to obey illegal orders, those are the hard work of genuine citizenship.

Maybe I'm weird, but the thing that scares me the most is all the mass marketing I'm seeing of fancy face coverings. THAT more than anything else makes me scared this shit is gonna be very persistent.

I think the issue with the idiot 20 something years olds embracing the mask and wearing it every chance they get is they think it's 'cool'. Just another accessory to help them fit in. There's probably also a lack of confidence that is exacerbating this cry for acceptance. And it doesn't help that the majority is about as smart as a rock, nay, pebble. I wish I was further removed from this demographic. Though, atleast I am removed.

Hope guy can get his knee fixed, my jaw dropped while reading that.

starting strength coach development program
    If the grocery store wants me to wear a mask, and I want to shop in the store, I will wear a mask -- it's the grocery store owner's store, not mine, and it's my decision about how important it is for me to shop in the store.
    I made an interesting discovery this morning. I had to pick something up at a Walgreens and the sign said masks mandatory. So I decided to see HOW mandatory. Not mandatory at all as it happened, since no one challenged my lack of a mask. I have resolved to test the mettle of the gatekeepers from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    Great point Mark, that’s a huge one as urban voters with different needs, seem to trample on rural ways of life.
    Even more than that, IMO. Because most of your other points on your list seem to me to fracture along the urban/rural divide. Self reliance in particular.

I'm a lot like Santana in my living and career experiences. I lived a rootless life with my parents from one construction project to another, all over rural and small town America, with a couple of layovers in Curacao and Venezuela where The Old Man was putting up oil tanks. Then from 7 on, rural in a village of 220 people. My working life took me to living in rural areas, as well as suburban areas and urban areas in Chicago and SoCal. I hated those-rural stints, but the money was good and the work was challenging in a good way for the most part.

Now I'm retired back in the rurals, but the differences between the people and the lifestyles are stark and often antagonistic. People in the rural areas generally just want to be left alone to live their lives, raise their families, and do their work. Which is not to say that urban people dislike those things. But their political class is hell-bent on imposing whatever leftist agenda their marketing people in academe and the media find fashionable on any given month.