starting strength gym
Page 330 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2302803203283293303313323403804308301330 ... LastLast
Results 3,291 to 3,300 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by TDinBristol View Post
    So you missed all the parts where I support the ideas that a) Wichita Falls TX should not be given a "one size fits all" order that equates it to NYC, b) the approach may be different for an older clientele than a younger clientele, and c) there's still so much to know on the virus. Funny how people I mostly agree with, and actually sympathize with, go batshit crazy when I don't agree 100%. Their egos can't handle anything else.
    I ADMIT I object to Rippetoe's "I alone have the answers" tone, which long predates the "Wuhan Virus," and to the followers who "Rip" (get it?) anyone who's coming in from any different angle. One recent post described someone else's response as a "feminized argument" (Good Lord, is this the game now, all you manly men?) and one guy responding to my earlier post accused me of using "big words like they use in Reader's Digest" (a magazine that thrived on simplifying the work of others to a 6th-grade reading level). Seriously, you can't make this shit up.
    I actually responded to "XX's" unity appeal by agreeing. The problem is when I say, in essence, to Rippetoe, that I agree his business has been unfairly shut down (although he now suggests he just ignored the directives), and that there needs to be a middle ground, and that all parts of the country shouldn't be treated the same, he still can't hear any of the agreement, only the slightest whiff of argument. That's the essence of division. My only argument in this entire thread has been that wearing little paper masks for a few months aren't a big deal, aren't a sign of being animals driven off a cliff, aren't "cowing to illegal orders" and aren't a major abdication of personal liberty.
    I'll go a bit personal and mention my son. Former offensive lineman in the ACC, 6'5 and a playing weight of 310 in his day, could outlift at that time 98% of the Starting Strength folks, and also had a bout with cancer at age 28. He's on medication for the rest of his life. I am not going to tell him whether he should or should not wear a mask, as he is an adult. But if he does, I'd nearly dare you to say he's a pussy. He could easily stuff most of you (including the Almighty "Rip") in a trash can, but because he's a gentleman he'd just laugh you off, avoid the conflict, and walk on.
    And I'll quote a good friend of mine - USMC, Vietnam, paratrooper, Purple Heart - "if you're worried about wearing a mask because it inhibits your 'freedom,' remember those of us who were forcibly drafted into the military, gave up years of our lives, saw their friends die, and suffered psychological damage to protect your right to bitch about not wearing a f***ing mask."
    While I understand that this website is Rippetoe's ball, and he can run home with it any time he wants to, I do deeply appreciate the thoughts of about 90% of the people who come here, which is why I come here. But again, I gladly admit that I feel, and have felt for a long time, that Rippetoe is a weirdly angry man (maybe that's just some kind of Texas manly-man posturing) who (very understandably) is now angry his life's work has been damaged, but is using that anger to go all flat-earth on the factual realities of what's happening, because the facts don't happen to suit him. He just suggested in this thread that this is "the worst economic and social catastrophe in history." Only someone who is deeply, deeply ignorant of history, and deeply self-involved, and or for whom human history is inconvenient, can ever say such a patently ridiculous thing.
    But, no point going on with this. I'll opt out and leave "Rip" with the last word, because I've come to understand that's most important to him (unless he decides to have the last work by not having the last word). Or you, if you want it.
    It's hard for me to believe you are old enough to have a son, let alone one that is at least 28.

But I'll give you this, you are the KING of ad hominem on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    Except even with the lockdowns, in four months the COVID pandemic has made the flu look like....the flu. Keep trying. Actually, quit while you're not too far behind.
    This lock down nonsense bothers me to no end. Nothing started UNTIL the lockdown started. Look at this graph

us covid 19 deaths by month - Google Search

The lockdown began in NY on March 19th. The lockdown in the southeast started on the 26th. Nothing happened UNTIL the lockdown.

I'm an engineer, if there was a river flowing and I said to the village, "Hey, let's put a pump in this river and pump it into the village just in case rain comes and floods the village. Then I install the pump in the river, dewatering the river, turning it into a mud pit, all the fish are dead, flooding the village with all the water because I actually underestimated how powerful the pump was I installed, and then walked up to you, in your flooded home and said, "Man, imagine if we hadn't done anything how bad it would be!"

Would you with a straight face look at me and go, "Well yeah, I guess safety is just that important, time to rebuild I suppose."? Honest to God what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    You are a great point with the automobile metaphor, TD! What the phuck were my parents (and perhaps many of you; I'm in my mid-thirties)
    doing in the late nineties when all these speed and other cameras got shoved down our throats!?
    I was thinking if this last month when my sister-in-law tried to sneak is back into Moscow to get the rest of our things before the "pass" system was put into place, were relieved when we crossed the city lines only a little after midnight and didn't see any checkpoints, but then heard the next day about those cameras being used to cross reference license plates against travel passes that had been issued (Russia is admittedly much further along this path than we are, although in not as many ways, and not in the ways that our lying MSM would have you believe).

Then, driving to our new home in the regions (just as "locked down," but the voluntary involuntary Quarantine is much less policed), I was surprised that sister-in-law was crushing the speed limit at regular intervals - she by now knew where all the cameras were on the road to/from Moscow.

I remember in my younger years, in the early-2000s, hearing about Europeans fire-bombing and otherwise destroying these money printer boxes, and thinking that that was a bit....extreme (young and not a liberal, no heart, blah blah blah).

We used to be able to determine for ourselves how safe we could drive, and evaluate the risk ourselves of whether we'd see the cop in time.
    Now, speed cameras have solved all of that, and why the hell did we ALLOW (there's that word, only in it's correct, patriotic usage!) then to be installed throughout our land of the free and home of the brave!?

You can similarly see how with some of these Wuhan Flu measures (since government always creeps forward in rescinding liberty- it never recedes back) there is a strong risk of them being "normalized" and becoming permanent, especially since I have no doubt that our politicians (and especially bureaucrats!) do NOT have our best interests at heart!!

Lest I be accused of whataboutism, you decided to make the automobile metaphor, TD, and Bravo! It's quite a good one when discussing the likelihood of "mission creep" as the government "returns" (lovely use of that verb!) our liberties to us.

***On a side note, any student Veterans out there? I used to work in higher ed with the GI Bill and I know how needed those monthly stipends are; I hope they weren't reduced because everything moved online (through no choice of your own) during this involuntary voluntary lockdown. Thank you for your service, and stay strong and optimistic during this whole mess!! There ARE people out here on our great country who treasure the liberties you fought to help protect!
    To quote "Bull Durham," I'd say "you're like a Martian talking to a fungo." Do you have a clear point?

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewG View Post
    Here's another brilliant interview from the UnHerd series that's worth watching.

YouTube

It doesn't look good for the scaremongers as Professor Sunetra Gupta, a Epidemiologist at the University of Oxford, claims the IFR is only 0.05%. Puts it bang in the ball park of the flu.
    I just finished watching this one. I think I have step away from these videos with experts who the media continues to blatantly ignore. It's some seriously spectacular bushwa (I wanted to use a new word for this) and it's making me want to smash my head into the ground. To pieces.

Around 2 o'clock today, I watched my neighbor get something out of her car with a mask on and promptly go back inside. The Sun was shining. It was the second day in a row to hit 80. She's in her 70s. The even funnier part, she routinely sees her granddaughter (who works at the hospital) and babysits her baby. Along with visiting the rest of her family. Her reasoning is that her granddaughter is regularly having her temperature taken at work and so it's safe to see her. This neighbor is also a minister. It's heartening to know there's such strong leadership in the world, at all levels.

that Rippetoe is a weirdly angry man (maybe that's just some kind of Texas manly-man posturing)
    This is a side effect of being hyper-aware of the world around one's self. Haven't you noticed how angry the best comics are? And I'm not talking about the ones that routinely get away with fart jokes and obscene noises.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Ok, let's discuss SCIENCE.

1. What do you assume their hypothesis was prior to setting up the experiment?
    2. How did the hamster experiment (as designed) validate/disprove their hypothesis?
    3. How did they interpret the results & what conclusion did they draw from the experiment?
    4. How were the results of the experiment translated into a practical conclusion?
    Really. I assume you could infer the following:
    1) that masks reduce spread of the virus.
    2) hamsters separated by partitions made of surgical masks resulted in less spread of the virus. (77% of hamsters with no partition became infected vs 17% with the partition did. This neither proved nor disproved anything. More study needs to be done for "proof." It did INDICATE that masks help reduce the spread.
    3) That masks might be helpful to humans in reducing the spread. Here's the quote: “In our hamster experiment, it shows very clearly that if infected hamsters or humans – especially asymptomatic or symptomatic ones – put on masks, they actually protect other people. That’s the strongest result we showed here,”
    4) People should wear masks.

So, pure, absolute, 1000000% proof is almost never available, but some things are indicative and this study is indicative. To be clear - i think it is an incredibly flawed study for reasons that are not relevant to this conversation.

The point is This. Is. Science. I think you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's fine, son. Keep repeating your bullshit. But do it somewhere else.
    Says the open-minded man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Yes. Agreed. This is a good first step towards scientifically investigating the spread of a disease. What it’s not, is an excellent way to determine what public policy should be.

Maybe we should start resolving election disputes with the descendants of Paul the Octopus next?
    Lets assume the study is accurate (I do not), but public policy is an entirely different question. Assuming the study is correct, I would think that it should go into the discussion in deciding what public policy should be.

What I'm really waiting to hear is someone who will say: Yes, wearing masks and and taking other precautions can save 10s of thousands of lives, but I don't think we should have any policy to reduce the spread. What I usually hear is: It isn't dangerous. Anyone who self-isolates or wears a mask is a sheep and what they are doing will have no effect.

Says the open-minded man.
    Who said I was open-minded? Like I'm supposed to listen to your argument for 2+2=5? These guys must all be on a conference call with each other.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who said I was open-minded? Like I'm supposed to listen to your argument for 2+2=5? These guys must all be on a conference call with each other.
    At least you admit it. But I give you the last word...