starting strength gym
Page 332 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2322823223303313323333343423824328321332 ... LastLast
Results 3,311 to 3,320 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Both Matt and Hurling have valid points. I'm not going to wear a mask into a retail store, but if a really need something in the store, and a clerk asks me to put one on, I will. It's their store, and I need their products, so I'll only be an asshole up until they have the balls to call me on it. Now, if another customer says something to me, that's an entirely different matter, but it's been my experience that mask-wearers are either displaying their compliant personalities or are virtue signalling, neither of which are compatible with confrontation.

Yet more evidence that fear, lockdown, and appropriation of hospital resources (rather than COVID-19 itself) are causing excess mortality:
    The difference between the assumed number of ACS patients and the observed number in our study, i.e. 725 ACS patients in calendar weeks 10–13 is 275. According to these assumptions, 275 patients were not treated in March 2020. Based on data showing that the cardiovascular mortality of untreated ACS patients might be as high as 40% (as it was in the 1950s), we can theoretically estimate 110 ACS deaths during this time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by TDinBristol View Post
    "the worst economic and social catastrophe in history."

But "Rip's" gym gets a little less business.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...0-jobs-report/

Approximately 15% unemployment in the United States. 2.4 million newly minted unemployed last week. Over 20 million newly unemployed in April alone. This is not about Rip's gym, or any other gym, except those people that lost their livelihood as gym employees/owners. 36.5 million without a job. That is up from just 3.5% unemployed before the over-reaction.

Granted there may have been some contraction and increase of unemployment without the lockdowns, but no where near this level. When was the economy last in this sort of free-fall?

JC Penny (29% of stores), Victoria Secret (251/900 stores with more to come), Pier 1 (ALL gone) are all GOING AWAY as we know them for the most part. Not exactly the backbone of our economy, but nobody works for them. So, a cursory look at the lockdown results will show more than this, I would bet.

This is not me looking for evidence, wife just was talking about it.

The response from the herd will be: "...but millions would have died if WE have not shut all this down." Well, we will never know, but we DO know about the unemployment and collateral damage in health care.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    BTW: My response wasn't to you, Rip. It was to the person who ridiculously compared COVID to the flu. I hadn't planned to respond to you at all. But I was interested in the specific prescription you had for the future, which you neglected to say. I'm sure it is some form of "do nothing," which might actually make sense since the administration's fact-free ignoring of the experts has made things essentially irretrievable.
    Goddamn son, you just don't understand how the place works, do you? The Federal Government operates under this thing called The US Constitution, and the 10th Amendment is still in operation, especially now. You have demonstrated with this post that this is all about Donald Trump as far as you're concerned, and we kinda already knew that. Now, again, go away.

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    I ain't your son, and I will accept your surrender, evidenced by your anger and frustration, and gladly move on. After reading your response I concluded that there will always be people who will look at a set of facts and conclude the exact opposite of what they would imply to a sensible, logical person. And that's even before they start distorting the facts, shading them, mischaracterizing them, and simply making them up. I'd like to continue thinking that your work on strength training outweighs what I read in your response about the federal government, but I probably should have told you that I could have written that for you long before you started, even before I asked you the questions. I've dealt professionally with many people who think as you do, and the convenience of their arguments is regardless of how outrageous they are, they can simply select facts to fit the argument. Libertarians do that to a fare-thee-well, and "sovereigns" take it to the stratosphere. Neither kind persuades very many people, however, since facts are pesky, stubborn things.
    Writing like this is not helping your case. This is 9th grade work at best.

I mean that as an insult, but I'm also kind of trying to help, in the hope that if you start writing better maybe your thinking will improve as well. I'm certainly no Hemmingway, but a large part of my job is writing so I do know at least a little about how to put thought into print.

Paragraphs, proper sentence structure, understanding different types of clauses and conjunctions; these things and more will all help you process the world around you more accurately.

Dr. Peterson wrote a really good guide for writing that I think every single high school student ought to be forced to read (at gun point)

Essay_Writing_Guide.docx

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    The problem I'm pointing out is that local officials, like in my county, are trying to pass a law where businesses face a fine if they don't mandate customers to wear a mask. I see the people on this forum advocating for a "free market" approach much more than a mandate. I've seen Rip say something to this effect at least 5 times on this thread, if not more. If he wants everyone to wear a mask in his gym, let that be up to him and not some public policy maker. Likewise, if he doesn't care that you wear a mask in his gym, and you feel scared, you have the option not to train there. It really is that simple. To force someone to wear a mask because of hamster studies though... Come on...

I don't have a problem with the media and health officials suggesting wearing a mask as long as they're honest about where they're basing the evidence. "Hey guys, some hamster study in Hong Kong suggests we should wear a mask," sounds a lot less convincing and scary than, "Hey guys, this is incredibly serious. You all need to be wearing a mask despite us initially not telling you to wear a mask."

At least the former is honest, if not a little absurd sounding. The latter, despite probably being rooted in good intentions, feels underhanded and sneaky. If you couple that with a general distrust of the government to handle situations like this and the media to report on it accurately, it really shouldn't surprise you. You never gain back what is taken from you. We'll be forced to wear masks on airplanes for the next 50 years if you let the government have their way. We won't even know why we're doing it anymore. Does anyone even remember the justification for 3 oz. of toothpaste on airplanes?
    So, do you think the disease is highly contagious and deadly? If it isn't then masks and social distancing is idiotic. If it is highly contagious and deadly, wouldn't you want to try to help stop the spread?

I keep hearing people on this board making 2 arguments: It is NOT highly contagious and deadly AND there's lots of bad reasons to wear masks....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Both Matt and Hurling have valid points. I'm not going to wear a mask into a retail store, but if a really need something in the store, and a clerk asks me to put one on, I will. It's their store, and I need their products, so I'll only be an asshole up until they have the balls to call me on it. Now, if another customer says something to me, that's an entirely different matter, but it's been my experience that mask-wearers are either displaying their compliant personalities or are virtue signalling, neither of which are compatible with confrontation.
    I wear a mask when i go outside so that I can help to slow the spread. I'd hate for someone to become seriously ill or die because they caught the virus from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...0-jobs-report/

Approximately 15% unemployment in the United States. 2.4 million newly minted unemployed last week. Over 20 million newly unemployed in April alone. This is not about Rip's gym, or any other gym, except those people that lost their livelihood as gym employees/owners. 36.5 million without a job. That is up from just 3.5% unemployed before the over-reaction.

Granted there may have been some contraction and increase of unemployment without the lockdowns, but no where near this level. When was the economy last in this sort of free-fall?

JC Penny (29% of stores), Victoria Secret (251/900 stores with more to come), Pier 1 (ALL gone) are all GOING AWAY as we know them for the most part. Not exactly the backbone of our economy, but nobody works for them. So, a cursory look at the lockdown results will show more than this, I would bet.

This is not me looking for evidence, wife just was talking about it.

The response from the herd will be: "...but millions would have died if WE have not shut all this down." Well, we will never know, but we DO know about the unemployment and collateral damage in health care.

sb
    Sean,

Agreed. it’s a VERY difficult time. I took a huge pay cut and may lose my job.I’m not sure anyone has the right answer. I certainly don’t know. I wish you and the family the best. Be well, my friend. I believe if we all support each other, we will prevail.

TD

Soon, NYC professionals, who comfortably plead, in their pajamas, for slower reopening (a month [/i]after[/i] the greatest economic damage in history) will be unceremoniously fired via email and Zoom, as they realize that remote work rendered them utterly expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Yet more evidence that fear, lockdown, and appropriation of hospital resources (rather than COVID-19 itself) are causing excess mortality:
    Thanks Shiva. This is what people actually need to think about.

I've saw a similar letter a group of doctors and nurses wrote to The Orange One warning of all the screenings, etc, that hospitals have not performed, and the resulting implications.

"Mass casualty incident": 600 doctors sign letter to Trump calling for end to lockdowns over health concerns | Disrn

The damage from the lockdowns is the actual threat, not the virus.

Anyone who thinks that 36 million umemployed citizens and trillions of dollars injected into the economy are nothing to get angry about is a damn fool. If you're one of these people look into how fractional reserve banking Federal Reserve operate. Shit is about to get wild.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    I wear a mask when i go outside so that I can help to slow the spread. I'd hate for someone to become seriously ill or die because they caught the virus from me.
    I don't wear a mask when I go outside, because
    1. I don't currently have the virus,
    2. Masks don't work,
    3. The virus is a mild infection for everybody except the frail elderly,
    4. I'm not around the frail elderly anyway, and
    5. If I were around the frail elderly with a viral respiratory infection of any type I'd be a sorry sack of shit. I am not a sorry sack of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Soon, NYC professionals, who comfortably plead, in their pajamas, for slower reopening (a month [/i]after[/i] the greatest economic damage in history) will be unceremoniously fired via email and Zoom, as they realize that remote work rendered them utterly expendable.
    What a delicious day that will be!