starting strength gym
Page 339 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2392893293373383393403413493894398391339 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    I will be sure to ask my doctor to what he is being "obedient" the next time he wears a mask. Perhaps it signals the obvious idea that spreading the virus to others needlessly is not the right of any person. You want to smoke? Do so where your smoke does not affect anyone else. You want to breathe? Yes, breathe, in environments where transmission is likely? You wear a mask, even if you've tested negative, since false negatives are common, and since you can shed the virus even when you show no symptoms, unlike the often inappropriately cited influenza. Nobody says one has to care about their fellow man, but one doesn't get to ignore the basic right to be free of one's ignorance.
    None of this is necessary, for benevolence towards others or to protect oneself, unless the Wuhan Flu is deadlier AND more transmissible that the other SARS virus iterations, or, hell, even the common, yearly Flu.

Incomplete, shaky data from weeks ago showed this was possible, and [less] incomplete data today shows that this is incredibly unlikely.
    And yet we gave up our liberties then, and some continue to shame liberty-lovers now, over this ["well-intentioned"] lie.

Wew man are we all n00bz!

All of the fury at the "state" and the "government" should puzzle most people. Are we not a democratic republic, with the right to vote to choose our leaders, and to replace them through our votes when we see fit? Are not our laws, including those that wisely enable emergency declarations by the elected executives, passed by our legislators, upon whom we also vote by right, and who we have the right to replace as well?
    Everyday family people are too busy loving God, Family, & Country (in that order) to dedicate time to protests as often as would be required to "change" things, as demonstrated by the quality of people you see at the perpetually outraged protests, sponsored by groups such as MoveOn, MaryPIRG, A.N.S.W.E.R., Pink Pussies (or whatever their name is), and the like.

Do you doubt the veracity of my generalization? Look at the Tea Party protests, and today's shutdown protests, who was attending, and how clean the places were left when the protests ended, and draw your own conclusions.

I think our founders didn't want today's political environment, given the tenth amendment that they wrote, and the other power-limiting features of the government they created. But our clever federal leaders found an ingenuous way to neuter the tenth amendment, by tying federal monies to compliance by the States. Funny thing, how at the beginning we didn't have a federal income tax...

Here's a good one from Briggs: These Are The People Giving You Health Advice – William M. Briggs

This marks the stage where the elites that rule over us are giving up on appearances for the sake of form, and moving to open tyranny. Think about the petty martinets lording over Michigan and New Zealand. The attitude of both women is: I am in charge: Do as you are told and shut up. Neither will brook questioning their authority, or even the reasons for their decrees. You must obey, and that’s that.

Well, the oligarchy must come. Who could doubt it? It is here now, in many ways. The rich create the laws and direct allowable thought. We’re not a full oligarchy, of course. We still race toward limited-choice democracy, with the occasional tyrant outpost. There isn’t a arresting demarcation between any of these. The Empire is too vast for fully centralized control. Things will just gradually grow worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    This has also come at the moment of rising nationalism, populism and national consciousness - as seen all over the world at the ballot box and in culture. Trump is a failure for nationalism, but the spirit behind why people voted for him has only grown stronger. It would be better for neo-liberal system is this trend died off, otherwise you might get a society motivated by other things than materialism and bodily gratification, and that could be dangerous. Ironically, I think these measures will have precisely the opposite of a chilling effect on nationalism - especially once the working and middle classes start to notice the economic pain.
    Excellent post, Matt Jackson, thank you! 🙏🏻
    Isn't it also curious how these lockdown orders put an end (with no negotiations extracted from the government) to the Yellow Vest protests in France, Salvini's Surging populism in Italy, and the Pulsating Populism of Bernie Sanders in the States? That may all be coincidence but it seems too convenient to get those highly-desired Big Government victories simply as an accessory bonus to overestimating a particularly strong SARS/Flu virus, the Wuhan Flu.
    And anyone too trusting in coincidences hasn't paid enough taxes or voted in enough elections yet to understand Occam's Razor as it applies to our treasonous, corrupt Western politicians.

Close your eyes a national government in January, aware that a novel virus had started to spread, hadn't removed its epidemiologists from China, used the gene map published by the Chinese, worked with the WHO to implement a test, immediately began testing, tracing, and isolating everyone coming into the U.S., calmly informed the nation that certain temporary sacrifices would be necessary, but that they'd be supported financially, and personally, to protect each other and our health care system while we planned for the near, mid, an distant futures. Our economy would be affected until we had sufficient protective gear at least for health care workers, and we'd have a testing and tracing system to minimize reinfection when we reopened. Imagine we were told that our shared sacrifices, significant, though relatively minor in the overall scheme of things, were our commitment to one another as a nation, and that together we'd be stronger and more unified as a result.

Then open your eyes, and compare it to what you see. And try to keep your fingers out of your throat.

In your thought experiment, Darrow, all that needed to happen was for the USA to close it's borders to China and halt European inbound flights much sooner.

But that didn't happen; we've become far too PC to enact proactive measures that protect our citizens and/or that are the simplest, most-common-sense, CHEAPest policy solutions.

One side (let's simplify them to "lockdown-lovers") values immigration more than protecting Americans' interests, so no way they'd allow our borders to be shut, even with the COVID Trojan Horse at the gate.

And the other side (Liberty Absolutists?) value protecting individuals' sovereignty, so long as the inaction is Constitutionally-aligned, over following illegal orders in an attempt to [squints at jargonistic Facebook memes] "save lives."

The former would rather keep borders open at all costs and the latter, protect individual liberty (in accordance with the Constitution) at all costs.

Which opinion sounds more common-sensical, more pro-American, better for the Every man? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by TDinBristol View Post
    So you missed all the parts where I support the ideas that a) Wichita Falls TX should not be given a "one size fits all" order that equates it to NYC, b) the approach may be different for an older clientele than a younger clientele, and c) there's still so much to know on the virus. Funny how people I mostly agree with, and actually sympathize with, go batshit crazy when I don't agree 100%. Their egos can't handle anything else.
    I ADMIT I object to Rippetoe's "I alone have the answers" tone, which long predates the "Wuhan Virus," and to the followers who "Rip" (get it?) anyone who's coming in from any different angle. One recent post described someone else's response as a "feminized argument" (Good Lord, is this the game now, all you manly men?) and one guy responding to my earlier post accused me of using "big words like they use in Reader's Digest" (a magazine that thrived on simplifying the work of others to a 6th-grade reading level). Seriously, you can't make this shit up.
    I actually responded to "XX's" unity appeal by agreeing. The problem is when I say, in essence, to Rippetoe, that I agree his business has been unfairly shut down (although he now suggests he just ignored the directives), and that there needs to be a middle ground, and that all parts of the country shouldn't be treated the same, he still can't hear any of the agreement, only the slightest whiff of argument. That's the essence of division. My only argument in this entire thread has been that wearing little paper masks for a few months aren't a big deal, aren't a sign of being animals driven off a cliff, aren't "cowing to illegal orders" and aren't a major abdication of personal liberty.
    I'll go a bit personal and mention my son. Former offensive lineman in the ACC, 6'5 and a playing weight of 310 in his day, could outlift at that time 98% of the Starting Strength folks, and also had a bout with cancer at age 28. He's on medication for the rest of his life. I am not going to tell him whether he should or should not wear a mask, as he is an adult. But if he does, I'd nearly dare you to say he's a pussy. He could easily stuff most of you (including the Almighty "Rip") in a trash can, but because he's a gentleman he'd just laugh you off, avoid the conflict, and walk on.
    And I'll quote a good friend of mine - USMC, Vietnam, paratrooper, Purple Heart - "if you're worried about wearing a mask because it inhibits your 'freedom,' remember those of us who were forcibly drafted into the military, gave up years of our lives, saw their friends die, and suffered psychological damage to protect your right to bitch about not wearing a f***ing mask."
    While I understand that this website is Rippetoe's ball, and he can run home with it any time he wants to, I do deeply appreciate the thoughts of about 90% of the people who come here, which is why I come here. But again, I gladly admit that I feel, and have felt for a long time, that Rippetoe is a weirdly angry man (maybe that's just some kind of Texas manly-man posturing) who (very understandably) is now angry his life's work has been damaged, but is using that anger to go all flat-earth on the factual realities of what's happening, because the facts don't happen to suit him. He just suggested in this thread that this is "the worst economic and social catastrophe in history." Only someone who is deeply, deeply ignorant of history, and deeply self-involved, and or for whom human history is inconvenient, can ever say such a patently ridiculous thing.
    But, no point going on with this. I'll opt out and leave "Rip" with the last word, because I've come to understand that's most important to him (unless he decides to have the last work by not having the last word). Or you, if you want it.
    TD, this is a fair, well-thought-out reply, except for the last part where you "take your ball and go home" rather than continue the hard work of debating and arguing (so Facebook-esque!!); thank you! 🙏🏻
    I don't see much here to respond to, I guess because you're trying to find middle ground, except for your point about mandatory mask-wearing being a minor inconvenience to perhaps "save lives":
    Have you considered the concept of slippery slopes, and how acquiescing on this "minor" mandate might prove dangerous (to our liberty) in the future?
    If you think honestly about that, I think you'll find many recent, post-9/11 examples of such slippery slopes gaining traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Several of them are deserving of far more than meanness. What do you deserve when you destroy a person's life work, savings, property, and mental health, and then, when presented with evidence that your actions were both unnecessary and harmful. you double-down to keep from having to admit you were wrong? I ask you in all seriousness, what does that deserve?

Let's not forget this:

https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*A..._IPp_f3msg.png

https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*f...nABXIlwpRw.png

https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*C...fA2fa-hpCQ.png

And from The Epicenter: COVID-19: Data Summary - NYC Health
    Oh I am in complete agreement. They deserve far worse than meanness and I think at the very least, they should be voted out of office and/or recalled and then prosecuted with extreme prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by TDinBristol View Post
    To quote "Bull Durham," I'd say "you're like a Martian talking to a fungo." Do you have a clear point?
    TD, We're all busy men with work, weightlifting, children, and now this plandemic to deal with- THAT's why my post was full of digressions, as I tried to gather my thoughts while multi-tasking and typing on an Android- no sh*t, Sherlock! :P
    One of your earlier responses to me was also difficult to comprehend, because in a mealy-mouthed way it felt like you were trying to appease all parties rather than confidently stake out YOUR POINT; but OK, maybe THIS post of yours about Martians was a PMS-ing way of stressing that Brevity is the Soul of Wit!
    (I suppose I am not in the same age-bracket so I did not get your popuar culture reference!)

Here goes:

Paragraphs 1 & 2, about speed cameras: This is a perfect example of how our leaders take a "public safety" issue that we citizens are perhaps on board with, then slalom down the slippery slope we have acquiesced to them to exert AMCAP (As Much Control As Possible).

In paragraph 1 I also lament the weaknesses of our older Americans who did not push back against these speed cameras when they were being introduced in the late 90s/early 00s.
    Although Rip thinks the rolling-onto-our-backs CoVID response is relatively new, here I describe a situation where we Americans also accepted restrictions on our freedom that "make us safer" (while also being incredibly profitable for our governments!) without enough pushback.

Paragraph 3: I atone for being a "big-hearted, mindless, young" Liberal who thought in his 20s that the Europeans attacking the threats on their liberty (destroying speed cameras) were acting excessively extreme. (White Extremism, anyone? :P )

Paragraph 4: I explain (through my speed camera metaphor) how, while we used to individually be able to asses our risk-tolerance, and self-limit our actions to try to protect others, by giving up a "miniscule" amount of freedom to allow these speed cameras and not pushing back in time, this aspect of our lives is now fully controlled, monitored, and monetized (!) by our leaders.

Paragraph 5: I tie my (IMHO amazing, intersting, and accurate!) speed camera metaphor back into the Wuhan Flu debaTte: these "miniscule sacrifices" like mask-wearing will no doubt be slippery-sloped into permanent restrictions on our liberty, since I have no doubt that our leaders do not rule with OUR (Americans') best interests at heart.

Paragraph 6: I pre-emptively deflect Whataboutism critique of my post, by explaining that YOU were the first to introduce the automobile laws metaphor.

Paragraph 7: I worry that Veterans and their dependents studying in college under the Post-9/11 GI Bill may be another unintended causuality of this Plandemic, since their monthly living stipends get significantly reduced when they are enrolled solely in distance education (vs. in-person, traditional classes).

TD, I hope that was much clearer, and I expect a reasoned, respectful response from you, since I took the time to streamline my earlier post!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    TD, I hope that was much clearer, and I expect a reasoned, respectful response from you, since I took the time to streamline my earlier post!
    If it's okay with you, I'd rather not hear from him again. Do not feed the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Oh I am in complete agreement. They deserve far worse than meanness and I think at the very least, they should be voted out of office and/or recalled and then prosecuted with extreme prejudice.
    We all know exactly what they deserve. We are not necessarily allowed to say it, but we know.

Washington State bureaucrats fullfilled their directive and couned gunshot deaths as CoVid deaths, but this time they got caught! 😂

Washington officials admit to counting GUNSHOT DEATHS in Covid-19 tally, say virus death toll likely underreported despite lapses — RT USA News

Has anyone here ever heard of asymptomatic flu?

And and how many more people has Andrew Cuomo killed by seeding the nursing homes with Nursing Home Flu than I have by keeping my gym open to people training for strength?

And this guy has been pretty fucked by thugs with badges: YouTube

His follow-up: YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Has anyone here ever heard of asymptomatic flu?

And and how many more people has Andrew Cuomo killed by seeding the nursing homes with Nursing Home Flu.

It verges on the act of dropping zyclon B into a sealed shower room. It’s also worldwide. Strikes me that if someone wanted to create the maximum number of deaths for effect, that putting an infected patient into a closed environment full of the most vulnerable people is ideal. Terrorists choose busy market places, or stadiums for that very reason.