starting strength gym
Page 345 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2452953353433443453463473553954458451345 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You mentioned some posts back that you have lived elsewhere than NYC and not always in highly urban areas. I guess you must have missed Bill Engvall in those travels. It's his signature line for jokes.
    You caught me! I am not a fan of Engvall, Cable Guy or Foxworthy.

I'm much more a fan of Patton Oswalt, Chapelle, David Cross, Larry David.

Its funny. I was in a, well really, THE bar in Claxton, GA. Some of the guys playing pool still had on their hunting cammo (or it was their saturday night outfit). One of them said to me - "if you gonna hang out with us, you are gonna have to like Steve Earle." I responded that I am a huge fan of his post-prison stuff and he now lives in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Name one that we've ever stopped in its novel year. Then, tell me the average time and amount of trials necessary to develop an efficacious vaccine.

Then list how many we've stopped compared to how many we haven't.

Now, justify closing the economy over it.
    I have no idea if we ever stopped a virus in its novel year. A guy said it's hubris to think we can stop a virus. I pointed out that we had mostly stopped several. If you'd like to move the goalposts, be my guest. But thats not my game. A guy made a point. I showed him he was wrong. Its that simple.

I really don't think I"ve made an argument about whether it is appropriate or not to "shut down the economy" as you say. All I say is, lets be honest with the data. There are PLENTY of good reasons to not shut down the economy. But, there may be some really crappy things that go along with that. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    I have no idea if we ever stopped a virus in its novel year. A guy said it's hubris to think we can stop a virus. I pointed out that we had mostly stopped several. If you'd like to move the goalposts, be my guest. But thats not my game. A guy made a point. I showed him he was wrong. Its that simple.

I really don't think I've made an argument about whether it is appropriate or not to "shut down the economy" as you say. All I say is, lets be honest with the data. There are PLENTY of good reasons to not shut down the economy. But, there may be some really crappy things that go along with that. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.
    I made the point. I'm not moving the goal posts. I'm clarifying my ENTIRELY RHETORICAL musings from earlier because you seem to be fully on the trend curve for assholes from NYC. ((HURR DURR CAMO HATS.)) Someone else said autists. Fucking on point, that...

But it's fine. Don't answer the questions. ((I know they were periods, but the questions where implied through rhetoric. I'll try to provide notes. Not because you need them, PER SE, but because you'll fucking act like you do.)) Also, that you don't understand shutting down the economy is intrinsically linked to everything everyone's done about this virus ((we both know you do, but YOU'LL FUCKING ACT LIKE YOU DON'T)), well, enjoy New York while you can. Maybe you'll get to vote for de Blasio and Cuomo one more time. ((You all deserve it, really, so stay strong through this... hashtag SeparateButTogether or some DUMB shit))

The longer I live around urban, erudite Leftism is another day I can't get home to the hills fast enough. It's not that I disagree with your politics or that I can't tolerate differing viewpoints. It's that you're so damn insufferable to deal with -- mostly the fucking hubris. ((You guys are ASSHOLES, and the only reason you get away with shit is because you live in the most advanced and free society humanity has ever created a thousand miles away from true suffering and poverty.))

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    It has only infected a maximum of 15%, maybe 20% in New York. Read Dr. Osterholm and try to focus. Besides, your feaux bravery won’t do any good for the pregnant mother your idiocy infects.

One (silly) man’s “cowering” is another man’s concern for his fellow citizens. No self-respecting soldier wouldn’t go to war with a selfish boob like you.
    English isn't this guy's native language, just like Bruno.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I will read it.

My belief is that:
    1. Universal suffrage does not work, which is why we were intended to have a constitutional republic with strong protections for civil liberties and restrictions on who could vote.

2. The system of checks and balances has broken down.

3. There is a massive amount of systemic fraud and abuse in our current iteration of the electoral system.

4. Most people are not smart enough, sufficiently informed enough, motivated enough or rational enough to demand accountability from corrupt or incompetent government officials. This effect is amplified by a mail-in balloting system,even if there were no fraud involved. The effects are very obvious in races for sheriff, judge retention and attorney general; Most people will usually just check the retention box without any knowledge of or care about what they are voting for. The others tend to do as they are told by the media or an authority figure. At least they voted, so they can virtue-signal about it to their friends, employers, neighbors.

I rarely vote, because the system has broken. I will vote for a select few officials in the hope that it matters and they can implement positive change.

I view the outcomes of most elections in modern day America as illegitimate.
    True, all true. I think you'll enjoy Moldbug

My belief is that the American experiment ended in the years leading up to the Civil War. Everything since has been New America to some degree or another. Failure to abolish slavery may have been the fatal mistake of the Founding Fathers.

If Elon Musk can get his weirdly named love-child to Mars there may be chance for another experiment, but I suspect that the flaw is with man, not the method.

One of the things that dumbasses can't understand: Where You Can Buy Hertz Cars At Huge Discounts | Zero Hedge

The next brilliant economist is Governor Cuomo, who says here, the economy won't recover on its own because too many small businesses have closed... Ladies and gentlemen, get on the Cuomo 2024 train right now! The man clearly knows his shit!

Also, I thought this might get a good laugh. My buddy sent this today. Confucius is indeed quite the philosopher:

IMG_4087.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    The next brilliant economist is Governor Cuomo, who says here, the economy won't recover on its own because too many small businesses have closed... Ladies and gentlemen, get on the Cuomo 2024 train right now! The man clearly knows his shit!

Also, I thought this might get a good laugh. My buddy sent this today. Confucius is indeed quite the philosopher:

IMG_4087.jpg
    YouTube

Safety third, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    One of the things that dumbasses can't understand: Where You Can Buy Hertz Cars At Huge Discounts | Zero Hedge
    Yeah, but non essential. Y’know, cars bad, petrochemical bad, oil companies evil, personal transport is oppression of the public transport masses, too much materialism, carbon dioxide....

It’s only going to hit home when they can’t get a Soy latte or a avocado and falafel sandwich from Pret. These are the people who preach tolerance, then fight you to the death for the last pack of baby wipes.

I’ve told you already. You can’t argue with these people. They are intolerant, bigoted, racist, sexist assholes who will force you to ride a bicycle for the good of the planet whilst they drive around in a Range Rover. Total hypocrites who have one thing in mind, to stop everyone but them from having a good time and tell you what you should do. Like Colonies of bacteria they move to a nice area, demand every dead beat and undesirable gets a big welfare cheque and a home, then complain it’s too crowded and move out to another area. They are almost invariably highly paid public sector employees with perks and pensions who try and justify their status as welfare recipients by demanding more welfare recipients. They never produce much except well separated garbage and compost.

The problem for us on the capitalist side of things is that we give leftists the benefit of the doubt, we pander to their false altruism and we try to meet their arguments with facts. What we have to realise is that they don’t actually believe anything they say, it’s all moralising and justification for their guilt and terror in a world they are incompetent to deal with without producers to feed on. They hate being dependent on capitalists and they want to exact revenge for their lack of independence. They are essentially bullies. There is only one thing to do to bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    YouTube

Safety third, at best.
    Did he suggest that I’m responsible for my own safety? This is an interesting concept, but I’m sure it’ll never work in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    Might as well throw human waves at a heavily armed enemy. Not all the good guys will die, but who wants that kind of war?
    Good lord, please stop the war-analogies already. Every once in a while when you seem to start making sense for a second, representing the mainstream belief almost reasonably, you come up with a phrase like that, and that's when I'm reminded again that you're the guy who claimed a few days back that Covid-19 has become the number one cause of death in the USA...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, we've laughed enough. He's done.
    Thank you. You have been patient and demonstrated that you don't censor idiocy "just because he has a different opinion".

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    Hmmmm Sweden? Did someone mention they were doing a good job?

Total confirmed COVID-19 deaths per million people - Our World in Data
    Assuming those numbers are correct, that graph shows that Sweden has more corona deaths than countries in lockdown (a whopping 0.04% of the population). They're having more corona deaths NOW, and will have less later, when they're immune, all the while their economy is still running.

In contrast, I picked a few other countries to compare on that website:
    Total confirmed COVID-19 deaths per million people - Our World in Data
    I chose USA, Germany (out of interest, where I live), Italy and China, and let Sweden stay for comparison. Sweden is the only country of these that didn't lock down. (Chinas numbers are obviously missing.) See what I mean?

starting strength coach development program
    At this point I'm more disgusted with the response from the general public than the top-down tyranny from state and local officials. I can bear the economic ramifications from this insanity for years before it starts to become an inconvenience to me, yet people who's livelihoods are being destroyed are simply rolling over and taking it. My immediate needs are simple; I just want to train. Yet, not a single gym within a 50 mile radius of me has had the balls to open their doors. Moreover, they're all virtue signaling through their social media channels as they hemorrhage money. Priorities, right? At this point I'm not planning on returning even when they are "allowed" to open their doors. I simply can't support a bunch of spineless pussies. I have a contractor scheduled to build an additional shed on my property which I will promptly outfit with the necessary equipment once it becomes available again. In the meantime I guess I'll walk my dog more.