starting strength gym
Page 349 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2492993393473483493503513593994498491349 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,490 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    thats not what he's saying at all. He's saying he wears a mask "not only to protect himself and others" but also to set an example. Basically he's trolling any leaders who aren't wearing masks.
    Yeah, but you need to read between the lines. If the life saving benefits of general mask-wearing were obvious, you wouldn't need to enlist other things like manners into your service. Like it's probably enough to tell people "don't let your kids stick forks into electrical sockets" without further appeals to manners and appearances. And as is always the case, it's what comes AFTER the "but" that matters, and the preceding clause is just rhetorical boilerplate.

Many people seem to deny that:
    -COVID is highly contagious and deadly to a large percentage of the population.
    I do not think this is true. Please prove, with statistics that it is true. Thank you.

Large percentage, to me, = 2% of the population. 330M x 2% = 6.6M dead. 1% = 3.3M dead. .5% = 1.65M dead.

To further my point above, look at this bizarre piece of "journalism" from Time: Study: Up to 80% of COVID-19 Infections Are Asymptomatic | Time

In one cruise-ship coronavirus outbreak, more than 80% of people who tested positive for COVID-19 did not show any symptoms of the disease, according to a new paper published in the journal Thorax.

The research shows just how prevalent asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19 may be—a reality that both suggests official case counts are drastic underestimates, and emphasizes the importance of practicing social distancing even if you feel healthy. (Emphasis mine)
    Is a disease that is perhaps 80% asymptomatic a big enough threat outside the very narrow demographic in which it is a problem that it constitutes a justification for "social distancing" and all the silly bullshit and economic destruction we've seen? I'm telling you, this kind of propaganda is the reason we're in this position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But only one of them is actually true. And I think the anger here is rather tightly focused. I think you are being rather obtuse, and I can't figure out why. You don't seem to be a dense as you're pretending to be, but you're so convincing that maybe you really are. COVID-19 is demonstrably NOT deadly to a large percentage of the population, so it doesn't matter how contagious it is. Your typing of the words does not make it so. I've presented the data several times, and I'm not going to look it up again. And since it's not deadly, "social distancing" and these sillyass masks worn by people on the street signal compliance, virtue, and a either a quasi-intellectual or very subservient personality. They show what Good Boys and Girls you are, and what you're willing to do to be perceived as going along to get along. And that is all they do. But they are absolutely accurate indicators of people I'm not going to have a conversation with, so maybe they are useful after all.
    Tough to find the data, actually, but i do see a source that says through May 13, 22% of COVID deaths were among 45-64 year olds in NYC. Im SURE that rate is skewed older, of course, as ~75% of deaths are among those 65-and-older.

I'll still socially distance and wear a mask as I don't want to me an asymptomatic spreader.

Tough to find the data, actually, but i do see a source that says through May 13, 22% of COVID deaths were among 45-64 year olds in NYC. Im SURE that rate is skewed older, of course, as ~75% of deaths are among those 65-and-older.

I'll still socially distance and wear a mask as I don't want to me an asymptomatic spreader.
    I'd like to apologise for my earlier behavior. I didn't know you were differently-abled. Dear God, don't let it be terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I do not think this is true. Please prove, with statistics that it is true. Thank you.

Large percentage, to me, = 2% of the population. 330M x 2% = 6.6M dead. 1% = 3.3M dead. .5% = 1.65M dead.
    If that is your definition, then yeah, its not contagious, nor is it deadly. Nor is heart disease, cancer, or anything else.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US and less than a million people die of it every year.

I say COVID is contagious. It also kills a lot of people. 100k deaths, with 25% among those under 65 seems bad to me.

If it were to stop at 100k deaths, it would be among the top 10 killers in the US this year.

No point, guys. He has his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    The paper surgical masks DO reduce the spread of germs from the wearer to others. That is their primary designed purpose. That’s why you should expect your surgeon to wear one. They do also, to a lesser extent, protect the wearer from the germs of others. This is not worth arguing about.
    What about these meta-reviews which claim otherwise? These reviews seem more dubious than N95 respirators, but I am currently too busy to investigate.

-COVID is highly contagious and deadly to a large percentage of the population.
    What is your definition of highly contagious and LARGE percentage (deadly)? That's what I want to know. I'm not even arguing...I just want to know your definition of a large percentage of death.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I'd like to apologise for my earlier behavior. I didn't know you were differently-abled. Dear God, don't let it be terminal.
    It's funny. I was always taught that name-calling meant you lost the argument. No worries.