starting strength gym
Page 355 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2553053453533543553563573654054558551355 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,550 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrfunk View Post
    What do you mean here? Is it because a lot of people would switch to even worse regular cigarettes and cigars? Thanks.
    Yes, this is absolutely correct. It is not merely my opinion, but one voiced by countless medical experts the world over.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    The question now is, will other groups start to rebel against their tyrannical governors after seeing this shit? It would not be far fetched to say that there are groups of pissed off people out there waiting for an excuse to escalate protests against the lockdowns and this may be it.
    Let this forum serve as historical evidence, that you and I, dear friend, have predicted the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    As it is right now, the 3 cops left loose there in town should probably think about turning themselves in to avoid being lynched. Lynching is not just something done to black people.
    You are correct that lynching is not something unique to black people. The great irony, however, is that the last time white folks fought back against the tyranny of a corrupt government, and literally sought out to lynch the police, was in Tennessee during the famed battle of Athens. In 'civilized' territories, like the proud Northern states (minnesota especially), lynching is uniquely reserved for innocent black people whenever white people decide its time to remind them to stay in their place.

In New York, you people have a real piece of work for a governor. This is astonishing: Andrew Cuomo's deadly failures

The count matters because it otherwise obscures the real picture. On May 9, the New York Times reported that nursing home residents and workers accounted for one-third of the nation’s COVID-19 deaths but that only 11% of cases actually occurred inside those facilities. According to a new Associated Press count, at least 4,500 recovering coronavirus patients were sent to New York nursing homes.

Cuomo, for his part, is mostly satisfied with how his government handled events. “We now have a top priority, which we've had since day one — our nursing homes,” he said at a May press conference, in a particularly risible bit of gaslighting. “The one thing we need to be able to say at the end of this is ‘we did everything we could,’” Cuomo added. There is no way he should be able to say that with a straight face.

He also shrugs off blame and argues that “nobody” should be held accountable for the nursing home deaths: “How do we get justice for those families? Who can we prosecute for those deaths? Nobody. Mother Nature, God, where did this virus come from? People are going to die by this virus. That is the truth.”
    How do you get to be a Politician? The first and foremost qualification is that you have to be willing to say quite literally anything to get your agenda accomplished. And I mean absolutely ANYTHING, on the order of, "I have determined that the boiling point of water is far too low, so today I am taking steps to insure that the people of New York will enjoy the benefits of 250-degree boiling water. It's the right thing to do. It's time to get it done. We can do it, if we all work together. And together, we can make it happen. My administration stands shoulder-to-shoulder with all water boilers in New York blah blah blah..."

Watch live: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo gives coronavirus update - CBS News

He said that while he "figuratively stands with the protesters," he does not condone violence in protests. He also urged people to wear masks while protesting.

Cuomo mentioned violent clashes between police and civilians that occurred during protests in Brooklyn on Friday, saying that he had asked Attorney General Letitia James to review what occurred and report back to the public.

"The public deserves action and the public deserves accountability," Cuomo said. He added that he has asked James to review the matter quickly, and provide a report within 30 days.
    This piece of shit wins the Huge Piece of Shit Award for 2020.

And finally, someone rises to the level of obtuseness (obtusity? density?) as Muntz: Minneapolis mayor urges protesters to wear masks and practice social distancing

“The City encourages everyone to exercise caution to stay safe while participating in demonstrations, including wearing masks and physical distancing as much as possible to prevent the spread of COVID-19,” Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey’s office wrote in a statement addressed to individuals who took to the streets following the death of George Floyd while in police custody. “The City has made hundreds of masks available to protesters this week.”
    Just so's you'll know it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    Long overdue but thanks very much for this info, Robert. I've heard medical professionals allude to the fact that they know for certain which patients are non-citizens and always wondered how this was possible in California where citizenship status is virtually a protected category.

You are correct, Yngvi--I misspoke. What I meant to say was the United States has never had an official language.

Thanks for querying this point Rip and let me be perfectly clear that I agree entirely with what you've said. Also, full disclosure: I haven't seen the entire 8 minute video, only the clips that have circulated on the news wires. In case it wasn't clear from my original post, these scum deserve all the punishment that's coming their way.

However, proving malice on the part of a white police officer who murders a black man in an all white court in Minneapolis--one of the most systemically racist cities in the US--is likely not going to happen. As a reminder, when the Philando Castille case happened, police chiefs from all over the county almost uniformly condemned the actions of the piece of shit that shot Castille 7 times at point blank range in front of his girlfriend and infant child for no good reason at all. In that case, the white officer that shot an innocent black man was acquitted, because, well, racism. (Compare this to when the black Muslim Minneapolis police officer shot the innocent white woman a year later and got 12.5 years, lest anybody accuse me of race-bating).

To reiterate, I agree completely that what those cops did was inexcusable, racist, and unquestionably malicious. But how I feel about the world and what I know about it are two different things. Not only did I live in Minneapolis for 5 years, but I'm also the son of a deputy city attorney; I know both Minneapolis and the insidious and unrelenting racism of the criminal justice system intimately well. As unfortunate as this reality is, I simply don't see it as being very likely that these cops will get anything worse than a slap on the wrist when all is said and done.

Especially considering that so far, even after the city has been burning for three days, only one of the officers involved has been arrested and he was charged with murder in the 3rd degree, which is somewhere below involuntary manslaughter according to Minnesota law: "without intent to effect the death of any person, caus[ing] the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life". Like I said initially, if anything, they'll stick him with negligence and he'll get a unjustly light punishment, as unfortunate as this likely scenario is. As it stands now, the case against him does not look very strong, even on the watered-down charges that have already been brought against him, considering the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's autopsy has essentially exonerated him of any blame in Mr. Floyd's death.
    I don't want to derail the thread anymore either, except to say that Noah's background analysis is spot on (I'm not a native Twin Citizen but I've lived here for 20 years). Also, I guess I'll add that the outrage in the community (of all races) has been building for years and boiled over this week. BUT, I think the way things have turned over the last two nights has been largely the work of outside groups. It's insane here right now.

Also, more to the topic at hand, cloth masks aren't very effective against tear gas, either.

Listened to a podcast a week ago which likened American and British economies to Ford Mustang muscle cars -big engine, fast, fun, but no airbags-and Europe as a Volvo, crash mitigation, pretty slow and lots of airbags.

Turning off the economy for Covid was compared to those two cars hitting a wall. The Mustang hits the wall hard and fast with no survivors; in the Volvo the passengers get to walk away.

He pointed to the vast lines of Americans queuing for food banks and a collapsing economy which would lead to repo of the cars they were queuing in. He said America was going to explode into civil disorder first, followed by Britain. So what’s happening in your country might soon be in mine.

If you take away people's jobs, bankrupt them, and lock them in their houses for 3 months, don't be surprised when they misbehave.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Listened to a podcast a week ago which likened American and British economies to Ford Mustang muscle cars -big engine, fast, fun, but no airbags-and Europe as a Volvo, crash mitigation, pretty slow and lots of airbags.

Turning off the economy for Covid was compared to those two cars hitting a wall. The Mustang hits the wall hard and fast with no survivors; in the Volvo the passengers get to walk away.

He pointed to the vast lines of Americans queuing for food banks and a collapsing economy which would lead to repo of the cars they were queuing in. He said America was going to explode into civil disorder first, followed by Britain. So what’s happening in your country might soon be in mine.
    Despite the havoc this has wreaked on so many fronts and despite the market volatility, I am surprised at the partial recovery so far this week. On a personal front, when this began our nest egg dropped 15%. It has recovered so far to being down 8%. I am not so foolish to think it's over yet, and it may get much worse, but I would think the drop would have continued unabated at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Despite the havoc this has wreaked on so many fronts and despite the market volatility, I am surprised at the partial recovery so far this week. On a personal front, when this began our nest egg dropped 15%. It has recovered so far to being down 8%. I am not so foolish to think it's over yet, and it may get much worse, but I would think the drop would have continued unabated at this point.
    Those who had their ducks in order before this started will not be affected much in the long run. Smart people know unforseen things happen and plan accordingly.

But, unfortunately, lots of people (the ones rioting) don't do that. They live day-to-day and paycheck to paycheck. I saw a lot of it when I was working construction. Guys would run out of money by Thursday morning. If they didn't get their check by the end of the day Friday, they were screwed.

A lot of tragedy has been caused by the riots, but the people who really got screwed in the ass are the people who were already barely getting by. I think it's safe to say that these riots are a direct result of the lockdowns. What happened to George Floyd was sad, but he was ultimately just a catalyst for something that was probably bound to happen one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In New York, you people have a real piece of work for a governor. This is astonishing
    Andrew Cuomo is America's most prolific serial killer. The basic concept of forcing nursing homes to accept Covid infected patients is insane!

It defies common sense. It defies reason. The idea should NEVER have been broached let alone enacted upon. For the first time in his tainted career... Cuomo needs to now be held accountable. He has shown that he has absolutely no logical answer or response to this absurd decision that led to a needless tragedy for over 5,000 families.

I hope that the lawsuits from the now grieving soon turned angry begin to fly right in this tin plated phoney's face.....as they should.....the guy truly needs to feel the sting of serious consequences for the first time in his silver spooned well stained life. Enough of his pompous lectures. In this time of crisis he has repeatedly shown his inept hand....and for the sake of what's left of this dying bankrupt state stuck "On Pause"....he really needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    Long overdue but thanks very much for this info, Robert. I've heard medical professionals allude to the fact that they know for certain which patients are non-citizens and always wondered how this was possible in California where citizenship status is virtually a protected category.
    However, proving malice on the part of a white police officer who murders a black man in an all white court in Minneapolis--one of the most systemically racist cities in the US--is likely not going to happen. As a reminder, when the Philando Castille case happened, police chiefs from all over the county almost uniformly condemned the actions of the piece of shit that shot Castille 7 times at point blank range in front of his girlfriend and infant child for no good reason at all. In that case, the white officer that shot an innocent black man was acquitted, because, well, racism. (Compare this to when the black Muslim Minneapolis police officer shot the innocent white woman a year later and got 12.5 years, lest anybody accuse me of race-bating).
    I didn't read the article you posted, but other sources have said Castille was shot by a Latino man named Jeronimo Yanez.

Our past experiences and biases influence our views of these situations. It is very easy to be offended if you are looking to be offended; likewise it is easy to view almost every action through the lens of racism.

This is the central issue and one that has repeated itself; Was Floyd/Castille/Australian woman murdered because of racism or a government that has become overbearing, heavy-handed and unaccountable?

Certain demographics will always accuse racism. Other demographics will ask where the protests were when white people were murdered and mistreated by police. The truth does not necessarily matter to either of these groups, especially when charged with emotion and large-scale propaganda.

With the two groups divided and manipulated, the police state persists and we move closer to yet another of the historical civil wars where people are forced to choose between the communists and the nationalists. I don't want to choose, but I will never be a communist.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    The consensus (god do I hate that word) amongst the more bearish investors is something of a set of small pump and dumps getting more to the downside on every dump, finally one almighty big dip somewhere around 2022. The expectation is for in-deflation, so deflation in some goods/assets and more rapid inflation in others. I think we can all pretty much figure out what’s going to be clobbered-free 737 with every box of $100 cornflakes. In the UK the haulage industry is teetering on the edge of going under. Commercial property, particularly office space is going to get clobbered and that will hit the lenders.