starting strength gym
Page 359 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2593093493573583593603613694094598591359 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Call me crazy, but suddenly I feel like they're AREN'T anymore COVID-19 factors to consider. Is that weird?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    These are PAYtests...not protests. There's nothing organic about it. It's astroturf.
    Covid Factors to Consider 2, Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    ...I was careful to call out Yngvi's sources and not Yngvi him or herself...
    Now, you are clearly trying to offend me; Yngvi is obviously an alpha male name.

Column: White America, if you want to know who’s responsible for racism, look in the mirror - Chicago Tribune

But you are wrong. White people, you are the problem.

Hey, lets fight racism with.. Racism!

American racism is a uniquely white trait. Black people cannot be racist toward you. Racism, by definition, is “prejudice, discrimination or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.”

Wait never mind they're good. Apparently the author cant be racist. And the definition of racism that I looked up: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized

What the fuck is going on? I thought the annoying ads kept saying we're all in this together? I can't believe this trash was written in the freaking Chicago tribune.

If making a generalized assumption about me based on the color of my skin isn't racist.... then what the fuck is?

Meanwhile people are looting stores just up the street from me, because of something that happened hundreds of miles away from us. And that's not even to mention the senseless violence inflicted on some chicago police officers:

Video Shows Chicago Cops Dragged, Then Protected By Protesters | Chicago, IL Patch

Have we collectively lost our damn minds? Would this played out the way it did if we didn't have people going crazy from being locked in their houses for 3 months?

Quote Originally Posted by jklymus View Post
    Column: White America, if you want to know who’s responsible for racism, look in the mirror - Chicago Tribune

Useful. It will continue.

American racism is a uniquely white trait. Black people cannot be racist toward you. Racism, by definition, is “prejudice, discrimination or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.”

Wait never mind they're good. Apparently the author cant be racist. And the definition of racism that I looked up: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized

What the fuck is going on? I thought the annoying ads kept saying we're all in this together? I can't believe this trash was written in the freaking Chicago tribune.

If making a generalized assumption about me based on the color of my skin isn't racist.... then what the fuck is?
    Maybe the MSM was always this bad and I just never noticed, but it's gotten to the point of campy, cringey WWII level propoganda. I don't know how the people who write this stuff can take themselves seriously.

I know it's real because I have a few acquaintances who basically self-flagellate on social media for being white. One guy I went to school with unironically apologized for his 'white privilege' over Facebook. I don't know what to do with these people except ignore then...

Meanwhile people are looting stores just up the street from me, because of something that happened hundreds of miles away from us. And that's not even to mention the senseless violence inflicted on some chicago police officers:

Video Shows Chicago Cops Dragged, Then Protected By Protesters | Chicago, IL Patch

Have we collectively lost our damn minds? Would this played out the way it did if we didn't have people going crazy from being locked in their houses for 3 months?
    The police could end the looting real fast if they wanted to. They have access to the proper equipment. The only thing saving the protestors is that they're going after commercial businesses, and no store wants the "racist" label attached to it.

If the looters try and take this to the suburbs like some of them are threatening, they're going to find out normal people aren't so passive when an angry mob threatens their actual homes.

The most amazing thing is how fast The Pandemic was resolved. Anyone who takes the media seriously tomorrow has failed the IQ Test.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post

I know it's real because I have a few acquaintances who basically self-flagellate on social media for being white. One guy I went to school with unironically apologized for his 'white privilege' over Facebook. I don't know what to do with these people except ignore then...
    Ah yes, the guilty white person. I see many guilty white people on my social media groveling and virtue signaling to placate the angry mob.

People who are being gaslighted by bullies, made to believe they are guilty of oppressing minorities solely by virtue of their skin color.

Racism is sick, and the last thing we need is for it to drive a wedge further between us.

I don't know what to do with the guilty people either. I assume they're made to believe they are racist for even questioning what "white privilege" even means, therefore they're scared to say anything that even remotely veers from the socially accepted narrative of terms such as "I'm sorry, I'll check my white privilege"

This is a dangerous, dangerous thing that we're dealing with here. Manipulating people into believing they are inherently bad because of the color of their skin. Similar instances in history have not gone well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The most amazing thing is how fast The Pandemic was resolved. Anyone who takes the media seriously tomorrow has failed the IQ Test.
    I don't see these people staying 6 feet apart as they blow up target and autozone! Shit most of them don't have masks anyway.

Remember when the media was reprimanding the mean old Libertarians and Republicans for protesting without masks?

I wonder how many poor grandmas will die from covid because of the riots? Hopefully they steer clear of the rest homes. But of course, CNN won't make a peep about bare faced protesters in a glorified mosh pit, Spitting, breathing and shouting all over each other.

I’m very curious to see what the covid case numbers look like a week or so from now after all of these mass gatherings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a silly article, because it completely ignores the individual personalities involved, and it assumes that all Policemen are just empty vessels waiting to be filled with the latest LE Psychology wisdom emitting from some bullshit Criminal Justice professor operating under a federal grant. Here's the actual deal: if you look at the totality of police relations with the public, you will see that the most dangerous situation a law-abiding citizen will ever find himself in is a Law Enforcement Contact. Doesn't matter if the cop is white or black, or the contact is white or black (Australian women get murdered too), the issue is what we call Cop Shit. Not Racism.

If cops pull over black people disproportionately, it can be more logically explained by the fact that young black men commit a higher percentage of crime than young white men in urban areas than it can be by Racism, and this is just the fact, sorry. The reason for that fact is largely cultural, i.e. a bunch of young assholes start hanging around together and encouraging criminal behavior. Like MS13 -- remember them? Not black, just vicious animals from a different culture. Different cultures generate different forms of behavior, and you know this to be true even if you have a political agenda that prevents you from agreeing with the observation. The Swiss behave differently than the Kosovars. This is merely Pattern Recognition, and is learned by everybody, cop or not, if they're paying any attention while they grow up.

Yet law enforcement as a whole has millions of productive contacts with taxpayers every year, because most of the cops are not prone to Cop Shit. Cop Shit is what happens when the wrong individuals become LEOs. Training is not the issue. If the kids we all went to school with -- the one who got beat up in gym class, and his buddy, the one who beat him up in gym class -- decide that they are going to get even by beating other people up, or that they really like beating people up, and they figure out that being on the Police Department is a perfect way to indulge themselves at very little personal risk, then that Police Department has a problem than cannot be solved after the guy is hired. They now have a Bad Cop. We all know them, we've all watched them operate: power mad and thirsty for blood, perfectly willing to shove people around who don't need shoving, the guy who writes you for 6 over, and the guy who beats your ass into the back seat of the car after you're already handcuffed. And they're not particularly concerned about your race.

That guy puts all the rest of the people in the department in a terribly shitty position, like the 3 guys who stood around watching Chauvin with his knee on the neck of a face-down handcuffed man for 8 minutes, doing nothing about an obvious problem. These guys may well have thought, "Fuck, Derek, do you need to do this to the guy??? We're on video, you know!" But they stood there anyway. They should have intervened, and that is a very bad problem, but Chauvin is the real problem. And he can't be trained out of that.

He should have been screened out. He wasn't. Screening procedures are flawed. He should have been fired after about the 5th complaint several years ago, but he wasn't. Personnel retention procedures are flawed. His fellow officers should have sorted him out with HR or the Chief of Police, ("He's gonna fuck us up, Chief. He's gonna kill somebody who doesn't need killing. The man is out of control. You gotta fire him!") but they didn't. Peer review procedures are flawed. In essence, the Bureaucracy under which Police Departments operate is the problem, because Bureaucracies are carefully designed to prevent accountability for bureaucrats.

But make no mistake: Cop Shit is the problem in this particular situation, and Racism gets the blame, because Racism is more useful across a much bigger political spectrum. Noah is right when he says that Racism is not just a Southern thing, but the United States is the least racist place on earth, and if you don't believe that you have not traveled and you don't know Asians, Blacks, Mexicans, or anybody different from you. You may have noticed that people like to be around people who are like them -- this isn't "Racism," the problem, it is human nature, the fact.

Now, imagine being a small business owner in a city where you were locked down for a couple of months, you lost your means of making a living because of your local government, your employees are suffering, your landlord is breathing down your neck. And now, Cop Shit in one fucked up metropolitan area triggers the frustrations of millions of people in a similar situation to yours, local government fails to control a riot (arguably one of the very few legitimate uses of force from government, and certainly more legitimate than measuring 6-foot spacing between people standing in line to pay for what little toilet paper they can find), even though they were perfectly willing to arrest a barber for cutting fucking hair, and what remains of your business is burned to the ground. Frustration is a woefully-ass inadequate term here.
    Ah, haven't been looking in on this thread for a few days, guess we're talking about the riots here now? All I can say is I second this post in its entirety. We have a problem with policing in this country, but it's not racism. It's a lack of accountability that is letting bad cops keep their fucking jobs. This riot shit is quickly looking to become an even bigger problem than bad cops, though. I heard there's a protest scheduled to happen in my town next Sunday. I'm hoping it's just some people with signs chanting. I really am hoping. But I suspect they will all be out-of-towners. Between their responses to covid and the riots, many state and local governments have shown themselves to be more inept than our famously inept federal government.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    And that's ludicrous, or disingenuous at best, because your equation omits other factors that have always been leading to rioting.
    What other factors exactly? There have been dozens of high profile killings of innocent, unarmed, black men by police that all got global media coverage over the last 10 years in this country. Why has this relatively mild case (all of the other men, and in some cases children, were shot dead in the street like dogs) of deadly use of force against a black man by a shitty cop caused the entire country to set fire? What "other factors" is my equation missing? To quote Mr. Carville, "its the economy, stupid".

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Or do you have examples of most communities responding to their chronically high unemployment with rioting?
    I cited no less than three examples in my previous post, but since you don't like reading my words, take it from Reason magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Covid Factors to Consider 2, Electric Boogaloo

Now, you are clearly trying to offend me; Yngvi is obviously an alpha male name.
    For the record, Breakin' 2 is perhaps the greatest movie of all time. My apologies for not assuming your gender. I'm a college professor, after all, so the PC police are on my ass 24/7 and I sometimes forget who I'm talking to.

Would this played out the way it did if we didn't have people going crazy from being locked in their houses for 3 months?
    Please explain this simple fact of economics that everyone who doesn't live in Russia inherently understands to Mr. Laureys.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I remember talking with my dad a few days after the lockdowns started. We both quickly came to the conclusion that if the economy didn't open back up in a hurry people would start rioting. If a couple simpletons like my dad and I could figure that out, Cuomo and Friends knew exactly what they were getting into. They weren't wrong or ignorant, they're just evil.
    Winner winner, chicken dinner!