starting strength gym
Page 377 of 3021 FirstFirst ... 2773273673753763773783793874274778771377 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,770 of 30208

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Looks like we'll see a tenured faculty fired. Yury Besminov's prediction looks awfully strong right about now.

UCF professor compares black people to Asians in controversial tweet
    Note the bullshit headline: UCF professor compares black people to Asians in controversial tweet. Because this is now Racism:

Sincere question: If Afr. Americans as a group, had the same behavioral profile as Asian Americans (on average, performing the best academically, having the highest income, committing the lowest crime, etc.), would we still be proclaiming "systematic racism" exists?
    Here's a suggestion to those who think they are being "screwed" and oppressed in the U.S.: Stay in school. Be the best student possible. Avoid crime. Avoid gangs. Avoid unwanted pregnancy. Avoid drugs and alcohol. Amazing what a little common sense can do you for your destiny
    He's merely suggesting that behavior controls the outcome. And there I was, thinking behavior was not dependent on race, that behavior was a choice, because behavior is not controlled by race.

The opposing argument is that it doesn't matter how you behave if you're the wrong race, that African Americans are the wrong race (in the country that elected Barack Obama twice), and that Asian Americans are ... the right race? We are being asked to pretend a lot of bullshit things are true this year, and there will be a point at which we get tired of agreeing with the media that up is in fact down.

The media is responsible for this heinous destruction. They should all be tried for treason, convicted, and executed for what they have done to this country.

The media is the true global pandemic. The destruction which it sows globally is real.

Category — Corona

Cribbing from another site, quoting Lewis about a pandemonium of his time.

Lewis:

In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. “How are we to live in an atomic age?” I am tempted to reply: “Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.” In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestors—anesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty. This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.— “On Living in an Atomic Age” (1948) in Present Concerns: Journalistic Essays.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Looks like we'll see a tenured faculty fired. Yury Besminov's prediction looks awfully strong right about now.

UCF professor compares black people to Asians in controversial tweet
    These people are evil.

I personally don't even care one bit about racism in terms of wrongthink (and honestly don't know who is doing more wrongthink the racists or the egalitarians) because I believe in freedom of association and justice for people who have suffer damages at the hands of others, but it is funny to me that here the approved narrative is a bunch of genetic freaks telling everyone, not only that they are just like all black people, but that all black people are the same.

(And I am a bit concerned if they are actually like most of the names they use.)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Rich View Post
    They should have followed the driver to her home, spray painted "BLM" and "FTP" all over her house, and then told her to not touch it, otherwise she is a racist.
    Burn.jpg

Another gym owner being sued for opening their gym.

DuPage Health Department suing Wheaton gym owner who reopened fully

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Both of these claims are ridiculously misleading.

The master/slave dialectic bears no meaningful difference to the oppressed/oppressor one when applied politically and the latter is the driving narrative for pretty much all Marxist thought today, regardless if Marx thought it himself, which he did.
    This is plain factually incorrect. Nowhere in any of Marx's writing do you find either of these couplets, outside of his very narrow and focus discussions of the history of slavery in the US. You may be confusing either or both of these with the bourgeois/proletariat dialectic, which is something Marx discusses at length.

As a student of David Harvey's, I'm duty-bound to take issue with what you think 'the driving narrative' of Marxism is (perhaps you've conflated any form of oppression with class struggle?). Marx was an economist and that's it. The half dozen or so living scholars that call themselves Marxist in today's academic context are also economists (e.g. Harvey). Generally speaking, they are not any more interested in social or cultural oppression than a physicist is (indeed, Marxists recieve much criticism from the left for precisely this reason). You cannot take issue with how liberally I understand the term "white supremacy" while also painting anything left of center as "Marxist".

Furthermore, Mr. Jackson understands this and doesn't disagree with either of these points (see his response below), so why you should is an indication of either ignorance or willful misreading.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    When every public voice that calls themselves a Marxist runs with something it is really nothing more than a no true Marxist argument to claim, rightly or wrongly, that Marx didn't endorse the idea. At some point in history we'd have to at least admit that Marxism parted ways with Marx himself.
    On the first point, I would challenge you to name a single public voice that calls him or herself a 'Marxist'. As any student of history modern American history knows, the residue of the McCarthy era runs strong in public discourse, such that even college professors in the State of California, to this day, must take an oath declaring themselves to never have been members of the Communist Party before they can be hired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    You're right, I'm sorry about that. I should have added the prefix "Cultural" to the word "Marxist". "Critical theory" would do, too, but it's a bit less commonly known and didn't see the need to get into the weeds to make my general point. I wasn't referring to Nietzsche at all. Instead Adorno, Horkheimer, and of course Marcuse and his mates in US intelligence. I thought this board was mostly full of right wingers and libertarians and wasn't expecting a gentleman of such Los Angelan persuasion to so savagely pounce and hit me with the sperg. Apologies for the confusion.
    The problem is, old chap, that none of the three academics you've named discuss the master/slave dialect to any great length at all (full disclosure: one of my advisors was a student of Marcuse). There may be a very brief discussion of the idea as it pertained to Hegel in the work of Adorno, but this is a not a concept that Marxists tend to trade in at all. What's curious to me is how the conflation of master/slave and Marxism ever happened in the first place. Apropos of this idea, please don't take my criticism personally! (Also, I had to look up the word sperg and found nothing. Is this a Britishism I'm not priivy to?) This confusion is somehow rampant (e.g., see Mr. Christansen's comments above) in the US and I find it a bit disconcerning. If we must continue to vilify Marx in the West, let's at least give the man the decency of seriously understanding his ideas.

I certainly do understand the demography of America at the time of its was 99.9% ethnic white European, the implications of this for society and I also understand the context in which the Naturalization Act of 1790, and its later revisions, was written. This really is pilpul, chap. It is indeed a statement of historical fact - very clever. It is also clearly being employed as politically loaded language by the left to describe your nation as inherently exploitative and evil today specifically due to its whiteness. It is being recruited as justification for dismantling the whole system through policy change, or failing that, just good old fashioned anarchy. This is what has whipped up the mob, not historical demography stats from 200 years ago.
    To be clear, when we're speaking in the context of the historical roots of American and European liberalism, I understand the term "white supremacy" in its textbook definition: "The term is also used to describe a political ideology that perpetuates and maintains the social, political, historical, or institutional domination by white people"

Granted, this is a secondary definition to the blatantly racist ideology espoused by a minority which posits that white people are simply superior to other races based on patently false claims of genetic or biological traits. In this context, I don't use the term in the way you describe as "politically loaded language". I don't disagree with your claim that the media frequently abuses the nuances of meaning (intentionally or otherwise) attached to many facets of language.

This is an idea I am strongly opposed to, not least because nobody seems to have a good idea about what kind of model they plan to replace outmoded America with, or even do with the people who resist this proposed change.
    The importance of this dilemma cannot be understated. We are at a important historical moment where the fissues of our flawed system of social organization are being exposed, yet we have no real tangible alternative. Your countryman perhaps said it best when he explained that, "[n]o one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

They tell us Brits we basically only continue to exist in the world, as a folk, due to our appetite for the exploitation of others.
    To be fair, you did do this better than any other empire in the history of the world.

The only difference is we're not being murdered and burned out of our homes and places of work in our cities tonight for this reason, unlike yourselves. Our military is not being ordered by their higher-ups to kneel and submit before a crowd of baying leftists and instagram teenyboppers role-playing having opinions. No British government officials are publicly celebrating their progress in actually divesting our police force (whether symbolic, or not).

To see your cities on fire, and people injured and killed by the mob, and to then hear how your government actually thinks the left's proposal to gradually dismantle the police is a pretty good solution to police violence... it's like they've just everyone a free 12-day sneak-preview pass of the future they have in store for America, just so you can get comfortable with the idea.
    Not sure what lies they're feeding you on the other side of the pond, but nothing of the sort has happened here. Not a single innocent bystander has been murdered, by police or the masses, and no residential building has been destroyed or even defaced. No police have been forced to do anything, which hasn't stopped them from their usual jack-booted thuggery.

As to your point about divesting your police, British government officials would be silly to do so, as your police already exist in the 'defunded' state that people are calling for here; you have a plethora of mental health professionals and training there that simply don't exist here, the result of which is that our police act as mental health and social service providers in far too many circumstances. This situation is fair neither to the police nor the public. What is the budget of the the police in metro london? Is it anywhere close to $2 billion? I'll bet the farm on a wild guess and say its nowhere near even half that amount.

It's funny how, when words had meaning, a white supremacist used to be someone who openly said they hated non-white people. Tonight, in America, someone will be labelled a white supremacist and a brick will be put through their window, or skull, for simply not stating they hate white people when commanded to do so, and with a suitable level of deference.
    Again, this is pure nonsense. Nothing of the sort has happened here, ever. This sort of fantasy rhetoric is what makes people think the far right is attempting to incite riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Twitter: NC Racetrack fully operational...as protests

A gym that doesn't hold daily peaceful protests of injustice and inequality is...racists. Just sayin
    Nah, you've got it backwards. This is a brilliant inversion of the race rhetoric.

The Texas Tribune reports: "Harris County GOP chair-elect Keith Nielsen announced Saturday he will not take office as planned after coming under fire for posting a Martin Luther King Jr. quote — 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere' — on a background with a banana." Nielsen initially defended his post, by saying “I wanted to speak out against the ensuing violence, burning and looting of small businesses across the nation. I simply wanted to say that it’s bananas to act this way and that peaceful protesters have shown us a better way forward."

Grammarist.com explains the origins of the term "going bananas" as follows: "It is believed that the term going bananas is a term that evolved from the idiom going ape, which also means to go crazy, to explode with anger or to erupt with enthusiasm. The close association of apes and monkeys with bananas in the Western imagination probably gave rise to the term going bananas."

Sometimes the defense is worse than the crime.

And sometimes our confirmation bias is on display for all to see, counselor.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And sometimes our confirmation bias is on display for all to see, counselor.
    Fair point, but many Texas Republicans condemned Nielsen's post, and the Republican governor has denounced other Republicans for their own posts, saying through his spokesman, "These comments are disgusting and have no place in the Republican Party or in public discourse." Two other state Republicans were asked to resign by Governor Abbott.

As to me, please don't be so quick to accuse. I had expected Nielsen to defend himself by saying he was only promoting a healthy diet.