starting strength gym
Page 387 of 3021 FirstFirst ... 2873373773853863873883893974374878871387 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 30206

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you guys enjoying darrow's trolling? Aren't I being a good tolerant moderator?
    It’s late. Might be drinking alone.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Category — Corona

Cribbing from another site, quoting Lewis about a pandemonium of his time.

Lewis:

In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. “How are we to live in an atomic age?” I am tempted to reply: “Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.” In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestors—anesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty. This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.— “On Living in an Atomic Age” (1948) in Present Concerns: Journalistic Essays.
    What an excellent post.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Now would be a good time to watch this.

YouTube
    I watched this recently, and how right you are in bringing it to this boards attention.

“Useful idiots” is such a sublime term and I was enlightened by his assertion that there are no “grassroots revolutions”.

It was also harrowing to hear the correct explanation of the terms normalisation and social justice, especially in the current context of language use such as “The New Normal” and “Alone Together”, “Shielding”.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    George, you came to that conclusion without looting anyone's home or business, setting fires and rioting, or mob-assaulting anyone. It's almost like because you weren't conditioned throughout your childhood and adult life to embrace victimhood and a massive conspiracy theory that your government, society, and fellow citizens are all plotting against you with racist hearts, you were ably to analyze the facts of the situation and come to a rational conclusion.
    (Note, this man being "cop shit" could also be a rational conclusion, but the decisions to loot, riot, and assault ipso facto cannot be based on rational analyses of this situation - they can only be the conditioned, Pavlovian response to perceived, life-threatening conspiracy theories.
    I thought I was black until 7th grade and was taught all the same BS about the systemic abuse of blacks and poor whites that the scumbags rioting and the idiots protesting have been taught. Unlike the middle class punks in Antifa, I actually had experience growing up with the "poor oppressed" folks they are "fighting" for which cured me of blaming much besides those people themselves. There are outward contributing factors for sure (that affect more than just them), but blaming them for why your community sucks as horribly as it does is like blaming bad genes on why you never even go to the gym. I may never have a 500lb squat because of genetics, but the reason was as weak as i was when I started SS was not genetics, but lack of any real training.

I would never loot or riot. Because I am not a complete piece of shit like the Antifa scum and hoodrat thugs doing so.

I am not against violence being used when necessary, but it should be discriminate and brought to the bad actors themselves with the least collateral damage possible. It might prove wrong to do so (because his guilt is, contrary to knee jerk reactions to optics), but you bring it to the cop himself and then those who defend him IF you are so allegedly pissed at injustice. You don't steal TVs from Target, much less some mom and pop store.

I initially jumped to the conclusion that the cop was guilty of wrongful death or something along those lines based on the brief video. But the fact that the mainstream news has lied literally every...single...time about these cases to the point of deliberate editing of video, left my skepticism intact.

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    Attorney General Barr's secret, nameless, armed federal officers, outfitted in battle dress, put to the private, personal service of the occupant of the walled-in the People's (White) House, are nothing new, except in the United States. They have a long history in regimes such as the Shah's Iran (Savak), Saddam Hussein's Iraq (Mukhabarat) and Mussolini's Italy (OVRA) whose name includes a resonant phrase "repression of anti-fascism" and of course, the secret police employed by that other right-wing fascist member of the European Axis. Each of the many countries that have used such forces were dissimilar to the United States in many ways, but mostly because we have a genuine constitution, nearly every word of which disallows what Barr and his master did.
    This is hilarious!

I am not of the "our government doesn't do that" mind and I am so disappointed in many of Trump's failures and antics (who I unapologetically voted for) that the idea of him being a sort of Manchurian candidate has crossed my mind numerous times, but you have to have gone full retard to think that a government that thus far doesn't have the balls to label Antifa as a terrorist organization and is hunting imaginary white supremacists in the midst having the most Leftist make up ever is doing covert ops to destroy this movement. If there is anything being done, it is most certainly for that cause, not against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Now would be a good time to watch this.

YouTube
    A concise guide to understanding the Leftist:

1-All of these accusations are projections of their own sins.
    2-All their ideas are self contradictory and self defeating.

They claim an infrastructure in place to squash something about rights while actually being that very thing.

They are winning because conservatives generally want to mind their own business.
    Radicals also want to mind our business.

Radicals will not settle for anything short of utopia....no matter the hell getting there causes.
    Conservatives don't expect Utopias and know that slow change/small tweaks are generally the best way forward without doing more damage than good.

Conservatives give radicals the liberty to be radicals. They are willing to give everyone enough rope to hang themselves.
    Radicals do not return the favor, but they have plans for the rope.

Conservatives need to finally realize that some ideas must simply die.

The current occupant of the barricaded People's (White) House and its underground bunker is saying that the 75 year-old man whose skull was fractured after being shoved to the concrete by police in Buffalo was part of an "Antifa setup." Should the officers who shoved the man be charged with a crime? No. But what to make of the man who whose opinion resembles that of someone for whom the first words he usually hears in the morning are "take your meds, it's time for group?"

Don't get me wrong, I hope your guy is correct but this sounds awfully Pollyannaish; akin to saying there's nowhere to go but up from rock bottom. Unemployment is still at 19%. That number will have to be at least half of that for Trump to have a chance at re-election.

Woodside, CA (aka The San Francisco Bay Area or as I like to call it, the belly of the beast)

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    Attorney General Barr's secret, nameless, armed federal officers, outfitted in battle dress, put to the private, personal service of the occupant of the walled-in the People's (White) House, are nothing new, except in the United States. They have a long history in regimes such as the Shah's Iran (Savak), Saddam Hussein's Iraq (Mukhabarat) and Mussolini's Italy (OVRA) whose name includes a resonant phrase "repression of anti-fascism" and of course, the secret police employed by that other right-wing fascist member of the European Axis. Each of the many countries that have used such forces were dissimilar to the United States in many ways, but mostly because we have a genuine constitution, nearly every word of which disallows what Barr and his master did.
    I don't know that Rip could have come up with a better nickname for darrowdisciple.

[QUOTE=Matt Jackson;1775513]
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrfunk View Post
    People are dead and severely injured. Video. Graphic. Etc.[URL]

I tried twice to make myself compile those tweet vids and pics in a reply. I book marked them but couldn't make myself do it. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Everyone here should force themselves watch those.

I am actively trying to put my feet up and watch all this play out in a more detached way. My current thoughts are consumed with the idea this is actually about race, and principals of nationalism vs. universal globalism and the new religion of equality. I honestly don't see what else this is all about, if not that.

It is easier to pretend this is about values and sleep soundly at night. I think I got a glimpse, over these 2 weeks, of how that ends up for normal folk. The conservative right has absolutely fucking nothing.

I don't know if this is the early stage of collapse, either. It's seeming more and more like a middle stage and it is palpable. Maybe this is what that looks and feels like when you're in it.
    I totally get you, Matt. For the first ten days or so of the visceral rioting & looting, it consumed me. I was getting so frustrated and angry, or maybe disappointed is the better word. Then I realized, I had chosen to move from America for some time to escape that mess, especially since I have children (especially a daughter!!). So why bring that mess with me over here; why let it occupy so much of my mind? Maybe, if you live in a more exurban suburb, or in a rural area, you could similarly leave this "mess" in the urban areas and cities, where it belongs. I know that's what many people will PHYSICALLY be doing pretty soon, when this latest experiment of the Democrats with "historical change" ends up with another round of White (really, middle class) Flight.

Apologies if already posted. But....

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is '''very rare,''' WHO says

So, to play devil's advocate...doesn't the WHO suck? They've been wrong with everything else up to this point.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    During the key election year of 1992, we had the LA Riots which prompted a national conversation about race. Again, during the 2008 election, candidate Obama addressed the nation on race. Now, in another pivotal election year, riots have forced America to again talk about race.

As children of the 60s, we were indoctrinated with some of the teachings of MLK. One of those teachings embraced by many Americans was "colorblindness". It was a goal.
    The other perspective at the time was that of James H Cone. Cone & MLK disagreed on key things, and Cone lost the battle at the time.

Today, the young people are indoctrinated with James H Cone's perspective. And THIS is has created a gap between our generations. How do we bridge this gap in order to move forward?

For your consideration, I present the great Dr Voddie Baucham about "Ethnic Gnosticism". At 50 minutes, it is an investment. In the least, watch the first 5 minutes, and then skip to 27 minutes and listen as long as you get something from it.

My family has watched this "sermon" twice. You do NOT need to be a Christian to benefit from Dr Bauchan's perspective:

Dr Voddie Baucham: Ethnic Gnosticism

This talk is for every person of every skin color.

If I were President Trump, instead of addressing the nation on "race", I would introduce Dr Baucham and step aside.
    First, watch this video twice.
    Then find this guy and clone him.