starting strength gym
Page 429 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3293794194274284294304314394795299291429 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,290 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gleichauf View Post
    As in a Benedict Option?
    Benedict is an important tonic. But where will we get our iPhones?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    George, once again, tell us what you want the FBI and and HSA to do. The FBI shows up with Homeland Security. How many guys do they bring? What do they do when they get there? Do they surround the area, or do they penetrate it? Does it look like Fallujah? What are the ROEs? Who do they arrest? Where do they jail them? If they are attacked with bricks, how many do they shoot? Once the area is under control, how long do they stay? Are the arrested charged federally or locally? Who then tries the cases? If the locals refuse to police the now-orderly area, who does? What happens when the area is retaken by the mob?

This is what I mean by "work."
    I already answered this in previous posts. They do whatever it takes because that is the job.

This view, without any historical precedent, that you and others here have that these are just a bunch of kids who will wear themselves out and then encourage the locals who didn't like it, assuming they survive and can even get to the polls to vote, is delusional.

The tactical elements are worked out like any other situation. The difficulties presented now are because of years of neglecting to deal with the people properly. It is only going to get worse the longer it goes on. These are not people who just want to be left alone they are growing and spreading.

I'd prefer it not get to where I have to personally shoot people because it has spread enough to require it, but that is what will happen if federal law enforcement doesn't deal with it. And what do you think that will lead to? You think they'll just run back to their "autonomous" zones and settle there?

There's no appeasing or being reasonable with these people. The only thing that makes people like this stop is the fear of violence.

There is no scenario where this ends without some horrible stuff happening....or really just more of the same, but it is better to deal with it sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You and others here have bemoaned what you call "cop shit" in this thread. What you are advocating is cop shit on steroids. Be careful what you wish for or be consistent in your thinking. Because having it both ways is mutually exclusive.
    Umm...no. The "cop shit" I don't like, which I am pretty sure I have not mentioned in this thread at all, has nothing to do with the tactics of doing their actual job. I have never bitched about choke holds or no knock warrants or anything like that.

My complaints with law enforcement are primarily the laws they are told to enforce and evil shit like civil forfeiture and relative immunity from prosecution

But you're 100% wrong. You can have it both ways. I carry a gun everywhere and manage to not use that power or the power that I have because I physically intimidate most of the population with just my size, and yet do not even bring either of those things into play in my day to day life. Yet if I have just cause I will unleash either or both of those things without apology. Likewise, you can be a cop who never abuses the position and yet does the actual job.

Quote Originally Posted by Willk87 View Post
    George, the Feds are investigating domestic terrorism during the riots, for example in NYC the FBI just arrested two for throwing a bomb at a NYPD precinct. In NJ HSI just grabbed someone for domestic terrorism. But remember Federal Agents are investigators and not Patrol Officers. They are not trained or equipped to handle riots. Nor do they have the holding facilities to hold onto a large amount of people. However, despite their lack of training and lack of equipment they are still assisting large cities with security during the riots. FBI, DEA, and HSI all have agents protecting police departments and “hot spots” in major cities.
    I get the fact that different agencies do different tasks. I don't expect investigators or even patrol police to be the ones to physically deal with certain arrests and such, but that is what SWAT and the federal versions of that are for.

That's great that they are making sure that cops can hide out in the stations without getting attacked. Meanwhile innocent people are being victimized all over these major cities.

The logistical excuses are a red herring. Just look at the crap thrown together to "fight" Covid and "flatten the curve". The logistics are not a problem. The fear of looking bad is.....which is ironic considering Trump has been "literally Hitler" since he started his first campaign.....and will be labelled as such no matter what he does here.

Whatever happened to doing the right thing regardless if it is perceive as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Willk87 View Post
    Sounds like George wants another Waco or Ruby Ridge. I’m sure that would fix all the issues....
    The obvious difference being that those were not justified and certainly were not violently aggressive. A few harmless nutbags don't compare to actual insurrection.

And, as you seem to forget: it did "fix" it. It worked. It might not have been right, but it shows that it is possible.

It is not only right now, but necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    This is precisely why ‘get out the vote' campaigns are a horrible idea. These are the exact targets of such campaigns.
    But people actually think that the whole country is going to go red over this stuff. These punk kids are actually going to vote, going to cheat, and going to prevent people from voting against them....but I'm sure things will be totally differnet than now in Trump's second term. No reason to expect this, but......

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    George's concerns are highly valid. Like many of us, he does not appear to have faith that the current voting and immigration systems are fair or legitimate. If either or both of those systems is not legitimate, the government of the country itself cannot be considered legitimate......

....In America, strong nationalism, freedom of association and limited immigration to our now crowded country would alleviate most of the racial problems.

Difficult decisions are made when easy decisions become impossible.
    This is all true, but it is much worse than that. The milk toast limp wristed treatments of violent criminals and illegals who are violent criminals only encourages the take over.

We do need border security (Covid can only scare people away so long), but knowing that you will suffer for coming here illegally and even more so if you commit further crimes would be a huge deterrant. But this whole shit show shows that you can come here and get away with literally anything so long as dealing with you might upset a bunch of cucks and monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    And for all you conservatives: The notion that all you currently passive gun-owning conservatives have is that when the mob shows up at your door your AR-15 and 1000 rounds is going to protect you is preposterous, it won't work like that. The mob is organized, and many, without coordinated political (and other) action by people who wish to maintain America by the time you need your gun it will be too late for you. I am in this situation right now and I angst over what to do about it. I'm no activist.

So here we all are in this same situation: we don't like what's going on, but we are too happy in our lifestyles to throw them away for activism. In short, we have built so much on the generations of our previously hard working parents and fore-fathers that we don't want to just throw it away by going to stand in front of a Teddy Roosevelt statue. We have families to protect, work to do, we can't afford a misdemeanor or felony on our record (lest we be unemployable)... the Left is using our own civility against us. They have no civility, there are no rules when you have nothing to lose.

Where does it go if we all just watch, but what is the real alternative?
    Exactly. Our virtues (only the feminine ones, of course) have been used against us. Unfortunately, most people will not see this until they are alone facing a mob because they didn't want trump to look bad.

But at least we don't make the black kids mad or let them feel bad about themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    You all need to calm the fuck down. Gird up thy loins. The tempest swirls in the teacup. Democrat neo-Marxist policies, which have been churning away since the 60s, are bearing their fruit... yet again. The cities aren't even burning, yet. It's a few blocks here and there, and the actual interruption of economy is almost non-existent compared to the harrowing of COVID-19.

Draw your lines, but not around the statues. Let them burn churches and tear down pictures of Christ. They can burn all of the American flags they can get their hands on. They can call you whatever they want. It doesn't matter. It changes nothing. If it wasn't YOUR church or YOUR flag or YOUR city, then it is well outside of your control,and the men and ideas of the statues are dead to them and invisible to society at large.

Now is the time to prepare. The cities are beyond anyone's control, now. Be at peace. Eat well. Work hard. Lift heavy. Train your shooting and hand-to-hand. Keep you mind sharp. Pay attention. Sleep enough. Love your family and see that they prepare, too. Be a good neighbor. Be a good citizen.

When either the government or the mob crosses your line... that will be the time. They aren't that close, yet, but they also were never that far away.
    You drunk, dude?

Nobody is going to do anything except bitch on social media. Just like they did for Covid. For every Rip, who had the balls to keep his business open, there were thousands of people who just knew the man didn't have no right, but bowed anyway.

They bowed because unlike this mob, they were "above" identitarian politics and other such group think and therefore had nobody to support them when the man came around.

You are just fucked if your "preparation" doesn't include deliberate community.

You will shoot someone. The police will come take you guns away from you while you are under "investigation" and then either the mob (if you are then out of guns) or the police (if you happen to have a stash) will get you the next time.

The only way you are surviving is if you have a bunch of neighbors to protect you from both the mob and the police, but for reasons mentioned earlier, the "police" may just do what they should be doing now to actual criminals to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Mark, I appreciate your perspective that we may sound like Chicken Littles.

But are you really proposing that a second round of White Flight (this time, lets call it on the Lam from Leftist Lunacy) is the answer?

So sorry, I'm not buying it, flight in the 70s and 80s is what got us deeper into this mess, and another round of retreat into the exurbs probably won't solve anything for us, and definitely will only make things worse for our children.
    Don't you know?

We have to be good conservatives and let the Left dictate the game and the rules to it. We must appease the unappeasable and not do anything until completely backed into a corner with nothing but sporks to defend ourselves because we like to march of the State House and then get the very laws we marched against passed by fiat a week later.

But we'll get to die without making the black kids mad and with the proper pronouns on our lips.

“He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself."

Maybe China will rule us better anyway.

And FYI: I am not in some shithole city. I do have people who have my back, but I realize that we are a few Rips in a sea of Karens.

I'd be completely off grid though if my kids didn't require I not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    In that way, there is no end in mind for these deranged losers. There isn't even a rough sketch of an idea of the utopia of equality they may or may not be working towards. So there is no telling if this thing will ever "burn out" or come to a halt because it has no defined limits and isn't constrained by rationality. It could become the new normal for society and I would argue it already has. Now, we are just waiting for the next statistical inevitability to occur in the course of a white police officer doing his job under increasingly hostile and unpredictable conditions.
    This is completely wrong.

Like any political movement there are plenty of folks just caught up in it, but this is backed by more than virtue signaling fools.

These people are heavily funded to the degree that one could easily identify it as a systemic effort. Some of the steps are virtue signalling, but none of them are just that.

They want what Che and Lenin and other monsters of history wanted. But done right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I cannot vehemently disagree more strongly.....

....Donald Trump did not leverage ethnic lines. He leveraged the anger that anyone who believes in Liberty and common virtues feels once they start paying attention to the hellscape of our society and its politics.
    You only think this because you refuse to see how the ideas fall along ethnic lines. What happens to Mexicans or blacks who admit that they voted for Trump?

They get disowned by their ethnic group. Being a Trump supporter is what I imagine it must have been like being gay in the '50's: You either keep it on the DL completely or you find a whole community where it is ok, but still generally on the DL.

Please give us a single example of a black majority anything that supports the ides of Liberty. I am all for living with like minded blacks, but only someone completely ignorant of history can miss how, as a group, they are never for liberty, fairness, and the rule of law. Every case, in the US or outside of it, with very very few exceptions (like Malcolm X) are for just having equal treatment. It is always a power grab (including MLK, but he's entirely white washed).

Hey, it's not all quiet here in the rural lands of Virginia. Why just two Saturdays ago, the county next to mine, held a Something/Whatever rally, out of a population of over 122,000, 200 people showed up, and last Saturday, some location, the Juneteenth celebration drew even less. Wait! Maybe it is quiet here.

Personally, I think our reactions to the protests are overblown. The numbers of people protesting are quite small... Actually I just changed my mind. After reading this article in the NYT:
    A Minneapolis Neighborhood Vowed to Check Its Privilege. It’s Already Being Tested.”
    I've realized there is something very wrong with urban people, some sort of virus that makes people delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Mark, I appreciate your perspective that we may sound like Chicken Littles.
    But are you really proposing that a second round of White Flight (this time, lets call it on the Lam from Leftist Lunacy) is the answer?

The first one arguably resulted in our parents, the Boomers, abdicating their responsibilities and ceeding control of our institutions, cities, cultural norms, and job centers to the Communist Agitators.

The problem then was, those White Flighters' children still had to return to those urban centers, to:
    go to school
    Find employment
    Sightsee / vacation
    And
    Pay taxes that ultimately support
    this Cultural Marxism

Aren't all the jobs in and near these Liberal hellholes, at least for people still in the first third to half of their lives, still building a career?

Wasn't that White Flight also hapless in that the danger and lunacy of our fellow citizen Communist Agitators continues to creep further outward from those urban centers?

I know I'd feel safer and smug for now, as a Patriot riding out the storm in our more rural counties. But those tax bills I'd still be paying to fund my own demise would drive me crazy!

So sorry, I'm not buying it, flight in the 70s and 80s is what got us deeper into this mess, and another round of retreat into the exurbs probably won't solve anything for us, and definitely will only make things worse for our children.
    I don't think he was suggesting anything like that. He's noting that in the rest of the country - the middle class American suburbs and rural areas - things have not really changed. I can attest to this. The media / new outlets are doing what they do best and hyping this into big dramatic play because ratings and money. Politicians play into it because power and money. But for most people who have jobs, homes, kids, hobbies, and lives outside of social media and other bullshit, this is another trendy play in the MSM that will die off eventually, and we all wish it was sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    I'd prefer it not get to where I have to personally shoot people because it has spread enough to require it, but that is what will happen if federal law enforcement doesn't deal with it.
    Why does it have to be federal? This became federal: https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/12...689409/photo/1

A total of 15 FBI agents were required to determine that NASCAR has not been infested by the KKK. Exactly how many people have been arrested for destroying federal monuments in the time this took? Seems like the local authorities are not any more incapable of getting the job done that these fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Hey, it's not all quiet here in the rural lands of Virginia. Why just two Saturdays ago, the county next to mine, held a Something/Whatever rally, out of a population of over 122,000, 200 people showed up, and last Saturday, some location, the Juneteenth celebration drew even less. Wait! Maybe it is quiet here.

Personally, I think our reactions to the protests are overblown. The numbers of people protesting are quite small... Actually I just changed my mind. After reading this article in the NYT:
    A Minneapolis Neighborhood Vowed to Check Its Privilege. It’s Already Being Tested.”
    I've realized there is something very wrong with urban people, some sort of virus that makes people delusional.
    See? Once again Boggsy is making much the same case. I can only quibble that rather than a virus, it's proximity to large bodies of water. Like the coasts, major rivers, the Great Lakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why does it have to be federal? This became federal: https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/12...689409/photo/1

A total of 15 FBI agents were required to determine that NASCAR has not been infested by the KKK. Exactly how many people have been arrested for destroying federal monuments in the time this took? Seems like the local authorities are not any more incapable of getting the job done that these fools.
    And now that whiny wuss is claiming it was STILL a noose even if not directed at him. We got us another Smollett.

Does Bubba actually win races? I don't NASCAR, so I really don't know.

You drunk, dude?
    Nope.

Nobody is going to do anything except bitch on social media. Just like they did for Covid. For every Rip, who had the balls to keep his business open, there were thousands of people who just knew the man didn't have no right, but bowed anyway.
    Yep.

They bowed because unlike this mob, they were "above" identitarian politics and other such group think and therefore had nobody to support them when the man came around.
    If they bowed, they did so because courage, like physical strength and character, must be built iteratively through practice and struggle. Anger is not courage. Anger is a biological response.

You are just fucked if your "preparation" doesn't include deliberate community.
    Maybe you can't fucking read, George.

You will shoot someone. The police will come take you guns away from you while you are under "investigation" and then either the mob (if you are then out of guns) or the police (if you happen to have a stash) will get you the next time.
    Maybe. It might come down to that one day, but I certainly hope not. I do draw my line around my immediate community and family, though. My friends and neighbors. I will absolutely defend them.

The only way you are surviving is if you have a bunch of neighbors to protect you from both the mob and the police, but for reasons mentioned earlier, the "police" may just do what they should be doing now to actual criminals to you.
    Are you talking about your problems? Because these are not mine. I have community. In fact, it is filled with veterans, military and police. Of all ethnicities, religions and backgrounds. And if you come for one of us you WILL face us all.

Just because the police, populace and politicians in heavily Democrat urban areas suck shit... doesn't mean it's the same way elsewhere.

You only think this because you refuse to see how the ideas fall along ethnic lines.
    No, I refuse to structure my thinking around it. Because the way you structure your thinking leads to how you act. I've also learned, through my service in the Marine Corps, that it's fucking unimportant. Race meant nothing to me and to the soldiers and Marines I served with in Afghanistan. I would die for them, and they would die for me while fighting to our last. And that wasn't some fucking haughty philosophical platitude -- it was THE reality we faced every fucking day.

What happens to Mexicans or blacks who admit that they voted for Trump?

They get disowned by their ethnic group. Being a Trump supporter is what I imagine it must have been like being gay in the '50's: You either keep it on the DL completely or you find a whole community where it is ok, but still generally on the DL.
    The same shit that happens to white and Asian people who admit they voted for Trump, but with different words. You're really not taking this problem seriously enough, George. It goes far, far past just ethnicity.

Please give us a single example of a black majority anything that supports the ides of Liberty. I am all for living with like minded blacks, but only someone completely ignorant of history can miss how, as a group, they are never for liberty, fairness, and the rule of law. Every case, in the US or outside of it, with very very few exceptions (like Malcolm X) are for just having equal treatment. It is always a power grab (including MLK, but he's entirely white washed).
    I'm not going to give you an example of how any majority thinks because they don't think. The INDIVIDUAL thinks, George, and if they choose to NOT think then there's sweet-fuck-all that you, me or anyone else can do about it. How generous of you for living with someone like-minded. You're the fucking problem. You have to be willing to live with people who AREN'T like-minded, but agree to let you hold your own differing opinions and beliefs. You have to talk with people you disagree with, and they have to be willing to talk to you. Because when we stop talking, even in utter disagreement, there WILL be blood.

And if you continue to divide the world up into groups instead of dealing with the actual individuals in your life at arms' length... you're going to become the same murderous tyrant that the Marxists are. And when you cross my line I will resist you in exactly the same way.

Whatever the personal cost.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post

Rural people have a virus too, but this virus goes dormant for decades until awakened by sufficient stress...much like Chicken Pox awakens as Shingles.

This rural virus is best described by Dean Aflange's "My Creed":
    I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon-if I can. I seek opportunity not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me.

I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia.

I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any master nor bend to any threat.

It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act for myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say, “This I have done.”
    The stress this country is undergoing right now will awaken this virus.

NOTE: Dean Aflange was a "liberal". His prose was read into the congressional record twice in the 1950s. These words are a threat to today's power structure....and thus, The Rural Man is a threat.