starting strength gym
Page 433 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3333834234314324334344354434835339331433 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,330 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Because it IS Federal. It is two international terrorist organizations operation across state lines in the US and overseas.. That makes it federal.
    George, you are finally right, to a degree. The Feds investigated that hoaxed noose, because it if it was race related then it is a civil rights violation. The FBI has primary jurisdiction over civil right crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    At the Texas Medical Center in Houston, 97 percent of ICU beds were occupied on Tuesday. Twenty-seven percent of those ICU patients have COVID-19.
    Playing Devil's Advocate here: from my understanding, ICUs and hospitals generally run about 70-80% capacity. Which makes sense, since excess capacity is a waste of resources. COVID patients may only make up 27% of the ICU, but if that is 27% over and above what is normal it could still result in overstressing the system.

That said, I have heard anecdotally that the surge in hospitalizations is due to people scheduling elective surgeries that they didn't get in the past few months. And since everyone who gets admitted is tested for COVID anyone who tests positive is now a "COVID hospitalization." I am pessimistic on the Texas situation though. Not because I think the virus is especially deadly (IFR now down to an estimated 0.2% and still dropping) but because I don't think the governor has the political courage to withstand the constant drumbeat of "NEW RECORD IN CASES/HOSPITALIZATIONS!!!" headlines. Many people I know who started to go outside are now hunkering back down and the Mask Gang are now back to clamoring for another lockdown. And I think they'll get it, maybe not from the governor directly but possibly if the governor allows cities to re-enter lockdown on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I saw that and live in Connecticut, I’m going to Florida in two weeks. What I don’t get is that you can get a covid test at fucking cvs, any walk-in, or any dr office pretty much whenever you want. So for example: I already booked a covid test the day after I get back from florida at the dr office, do I still need to quarantine? It’s all such a joke here.
    What I would like to know is how they're going to prove you were in one of those super dangerous shitholes like West Palm Beach or Ft. Lauderdale (just eww), came back to CT, and then didn't do your mandatory 14-day quarantine? I guess if you're flying, that's one thing, but driving?

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Think they’re running a Kalman filter with, say, hypothesis testing?
    They're running whatever the hell they can to make things look like a catastrophe. I think the original projection was simply e^x.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
    Playing Devil's Advocate here: from my understanding, ICUs and hospitals generally run about 70-80% capacity. Which makes sense, since excess capacity is a waste of resources. COVID patients may only make up 27% of the ICU, but if that is 27% over and above what is normal it could still result in overstressing the system.

That said, I have heard anecdotally that the surge in hospitalizations is due to people scheduling elective surgeries that they didn't get in the past few months.
    Precisely.

I am pessimistic on the Texas situation though. Not because I think the virus is especially deadly (IFR now down to an estimated 0.2% and still dropping) but because I don't think the governor has the political courage to withstand the constant drumbeat of "NEW RECORD IN CASES/HOSPITALIZATIONS!!!" headlines.
    A lot of people have made this observation.

Many people I know who started to go outside are now hunkering back down and the Mask Gang are now back to clamoring for another lockdown. And I think they'll get it, maybe not from the governor directly but possibly if the governor allows cities to re-enter lockdown on their own.
    This is a society now based on fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    This is not surprising or contradictory in any way. Deaths lag behind cases .... as bad infections take a while to progress to the critical phase and then a death is counted. Maybe something like 3 - 4 weeks lag.

So the reopening happened, sure it might take a month or so for the shit to spread around. Delays in testing and getting results, and the reporting to go into the State health dept.

Then, it'll take a while for it to feaster in some people with weaker immune symptoms.

The death rate will creep back up for sure. Give it time.
    Reopenings started May 25, if I recall correctly. So there’s been time: one month. The excess death profile appears undisturbed by that event.

But yes, we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Yeah, but these folks are DANGEROUS! Requiring the full force of superior rough men standing ready to do violence. At least according to some.

It's worth saying again:

Thing 1 - These are a disorganized grabasstick bunch (as R. Lee Ermey used to say) who couldn't get a clusterfuck together.
    Thing 2 - This is happening in a handful of counties out of 3000 or so in the US on a few main streets and blocks of some cities in those counties.
    It is hard to make an evaluation on exactly how dangerous these groups are.
    Many an enemy has been underestimated in the past with catastrophic consequences.

But it seems as it happens, these marches generally revolve around a couple of loud and aggressive black people with a megaphone, who are then followed by a crowd of timid and half committed white people. They appear to be very confident from a distance, but back down extremely quickly when confronted with advancing police or any form of violent confrontation and are terrified to appose anything their "leaders" say. Heck, on one stream there was a calling for all the white people to line up and form a human shield to protect the black people behind them. You could almost hear the "fuck that, i'm going home" in the air.

A lot of these brainwashed college kids (who ARE mostly white) have never committed fully to anything substantial in their lives, not a job, not an education, not responsibility of oneself or their community. I don't see them being committed to this movement when things really get ugly, especially not if they are in the direct firing line. To truly stand for something means you are willing to defend it with your life, this takes courage, on both sides.
    Unlike past generations who fought in the trenches, or stormed the beaches of Normandy, I do not believe that this courage is commonplace amongst many of those we see marching around the streets today.

I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by strongmonkey View Post
    It is hard to make an evaluation on exactly how dangerous these groups are.
    Many an enemy has been underestimated in the past with catastrophic consequences.

But it seems as it happens, these marches generally revolve around a couple of loud and aggressive black people with a megaphone, who are then followed by a crowd of timid and half committed white people. They appear to be very confident from a distance, but back down extremely quickly when confronted with advancing police or any form of violent confrontation and are terrified to appose anything their "leaders" say. Heck, on one stream there was a calling for all the white people to line up and form a human shield to protect the black people behind them. You could almost hear the "fuck that, i'm going home" in the air.

A lot of these brainwashed college kids (who ARE mostly white) have never committed fully to anything substantial in their lives, not a job, not an education, not responsibility of oneself or their community. I don't see them being committed to this movement when things really get ugly, especially not if they are in the direct firing line. To truly stand for something means you are willing to defend it with your life, this takes courage, on both sides.
    Unlike past generations who fought in the trenches, or stormed the beaches of Normandy, I do not believe that this courage is commonplace amongst many of those we see marching around the streets today.

I guess time will tell.
    Almost everything you described is exactly the way these reborn morlocks acted in the 60's and 70's. Except the number of black people were even less then. It fizzled out then and it will fizzle out now. Despite the lack of will of executive political actors for Team Blue. If Bidet wins in 2020, this will all vaporize. God help us all in any event. If Trump wins in 2020, more active measures will be taken against the remnants of these clowns, since he would have 4 more years.

Here's another item that the fear of the corona virus has swept under the rug. “No Cash Accepted” signs at stores.
    Before the Time of Fear, the great cry against not accepting cash, was it unfairly targeted minorities and the disfranchised (illegals) because many didn't have credit/debit cards. Now the signs are back and being accepted as a rational act, I guess fear trumps equality.

“Scott Alexander” is the pseudonymous of author of a popular blog which has occasionally expressed non-progressive views. The NYT threatened to reveal his true name, so the blog has been deleted. Many prominent signatories stand against this attack on intellectual freedom.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Maybe you missed it, but this part right here is what a lot of people are pissed off about.
    So? Most people are idiots.

Like all the ill informed morons who want choke holds banned, but are also going to bitch when cops have to then punch people in the head a few dozen times to replace using a choke hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How peaceful and cooperative! How is that murder investigation coming along?
    A social worker has been sent to the family of the victim to help them grieve properly.....and to direct their outrage towards the appropriate dead white guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    I'm not saying there's not money power behind it, but I simply don't see how this is a communist revolution. The critical race theory and cultural Marxism aspect, used by these losers as justification for their violence, doesn't make this a communist revolution.
    Their desire for this to end in a communist utopia does. Of course certain people are using anything as an excuse to loot and such, but that is also communism 101. The mobs are always mixed in intentions and the people who lead are never actually communists themselves. They just use the ideology to obtain power for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Willk87 View Post
    Mark, I was thinking the same thing and thought Border Patrol to an extent could handle riots. But, I’m sick of people like George who over estimate what LEO can do in these times. LEO, State, Local, County, and Federal are handcuffed by the liberals who run these cities. Just seeing what happened in NYC makes me sick, letting these people destroy hard working people’s stores in the name of “racial justice” drives me nuts. As much as I and other LEOs would like to go out in full force and stop the crime, we can’t. For example, NYC put out a curfew to which the ADA said “we will not prosecute any curfew violations.” So now you arrest someone, they are automatically bailed, and face no repercussions. It is sickening and motivates the criminals.

Sending in the Feds, who have very little if any jurisdiction, wouldn’t solve any issues. In fact it would probably make it worse, because people would say President Trump sent in an army and blah blah blah. The Feds are investigating and arresting who they can and they will also continue to assist PDs as needed.

George needs to stick to whatever it is that he does.
    Then quit. WTF are you doing? I can at least respect the Atlanta police that walked off the job when they were punished for doing it.

I get it. It's hard and presents bad optics. I guess we do nothing then. That should go well. When do we get our tax dollars refunded?

I bet the police will be right there with the flashing lights should a person actually defend themselves. We've already seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willk87 View Post
    George, you are finally right, to a degree. The Feds investigated that hoaxed noose, because it if it was race related then it is a civil rights violation. The FBI has primary jurisdiction over civil right crimes.
    As it does to crimes committed across state lines, inciting riots, domestic terrorism and numerous other federal crimes being commuted with impunity....including the numerous race based attacks happening to whites during all of this.