starting strength gym
Page 438 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3383884284364374384394404484885389381438 ... LastLast
Results 4,371 to 4,380 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    There is a bit more to testing than this.

This is always possible. False negatives are a thing in testing. However there are simply too many questions around these cases to know what is going on. Were both tests PCR? Antibody? A mixture?

Testing is far to complex to type out on this board, but its always good to confirm test results. PCR tests are very specific and highly accurate (the same test methodology used in DNA testing) but if you do not have the virus, it would likely be negative (assuming the PCR test is highly specific to unique nucleotide strings.) Antibody tests have a lot of mitigating factors around what they mean.

Suffice it to say a test in and of itself, in general are very specific and generally highly reliable. There is a lot about CV19 that is misunderstood, outright BS and overblown, but testing as a clinical measure really is exempt.

I agree if you do not have the virus then a PCR test done correctly would show a negative result. The question is if you do have the virus will you test positive. Was the sample collected correctly? Was there enough sample, are the reagents decent? There is at least one study showing a sensitivity of 70% (done vs CT correlation with disease). Weilang is reported to have tested negative several times while hospitalized Prior to testing positive and dying. So to me if you test 1000 patients that are documented to have the disease by CT findings, and 300 initially test negative that process as a whole is “unreliable”.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    ...if you think that one race is more susceptible to learned helplessness, poverty and drug abuse. The distinction did not come FROM their race. It came from the government who subsidizes their misery and uses its "assistance" to "teach" them that they're victims BY their race. It's no coincidence that you can clearly map correlation between which communities are subsidized by the government more and which suffer more by measurable metrics...
    These are the questions we are not allowed to ask and should not ask. But, they remain questions.

We do know that addictive behaviours, like alcoholism, have a strong genetic component; Drug metabolism specifics and addictive behaviour in response to it can be observed in families. (As far as I know, we cannot, however prove it on a genetic level)

We cannot prove, but cannot falsify and can observe through medical imaging and logic that genetic differences are likely to cause a much higher activiation of the reward center of the brain in males relative to females, when playing video games or accomplishing mathematical or computer programming related tasks; These differences cause males to "work harder" at certain tasks, like video games.

If no component of poverty is genetic, then the Marxist equality of outcome argument wins; We all have the exact same genetic potential, the exact same desires, the exact same tastes in food, the exact same hormonal levels, the exact same athleticism, the exact same intelligence, the exact same musical talent etc; the only difference being that we were exposed to a different environment.

These are just concepts and observations to consider. They do not necessarily have a correct answer and I do not expect a response.

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    Are you guys really talking about different 'races' expressing different phenotypes as 'success' and/or 'intelligence'? No one publishes anything on this topic because there's no data, no clear definitions, and no way to conduct meaningful experiments. And thus the null hypothesis is assumed to be true, that there is no significant difference. Its not a conspiracy.
    Is it possible to break down your terms and questions into more simplistic, fundamental terms and questions? Do you believe heuristics is a valid approach for coming to conclusions about the world around us that are good enough? What do you think about Karl Popper's principle of falsifiability?

The colloquial definition of conspiracy seems to have recently greatly shifted from the traditional dictionary definition.

Again, no response expected. These are just questions to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbinck1 View Post
    I agree if you do not have the virus then a PCR test done correctly would show a negative result. The question is if you do have the virus will you test positive. Was the sample collected correctly? Was there enough sample, are the reagents decent? There is at least one study showing a sensitivity of 70% (done vs CT correlation with disease). Weilang is reported to have tested negative several times while hospitalized Prior to testing positive and dying. So to me if you test 1000 patients that are documented to have the disease by CT findings, and 300 initially test negative that process as a whole is “unreliable”.
    I get where you are coming from here. I'll add that using Weilang as an example of testing efficacy (hell, using his case as anything truthful about CV) is highly risky due to the uncertainty around his circumstances. I'm not saying what you heard was reported isn't true, I'm saying I need more reliable information and we are not going to get that about his case.

As with testing of any kind, yes, for the sake of discussing the methodology I am assuming the reagents are fine, etc.

It is important to note that a positive PCR test does not mean a person will present the disease. A positive PCR test will almost always mean the virus is present.

Again, talking about the complexity of diagnosing disease from testing (in this case, testing of CV), using CT as an adjunct of PCR tests is pretty damn reliable. But CT by itself is not at all (for diagnosing CV19.) CT of the chest shows disturbances in the upper respiratory tract, which could be caused by a myriad of things. Combined with a positive CV 19 PCR test, is a completely different story.

So given that, in your example, assuming you are saying that 700 of the patients who had a positive CT also had a positive PCR, then I would opine that the remaining 300 had a positive CT but tested negative and CV19 was not a contributing factor. Therefore the test worked as expected: 1K were tested with CT and PCR. Of that 1K, 0.3K tested positive on CT but negative on PCR. Therefore, 0.7K had an infection highly likely to be linked to CV19 and 0.3K did not have CV19 but had an unrelated UR infection.

Of course, this does not address the slim likelihood of false negatives. That is a much larger discussion, albeit an edge case as having multiple false negatives would be highly conclusive.

For those of you interested in the carnage here in SC. Whoa to us, who hath forsaken thee, Science, and they masks and the salvation of SIX FEET.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) | SCDHEC

Fuck, man. 881 people in the hospital WITH SARS-COV-2! Not necessarily FROM SARS-COV-2, but fuck me, man! I shall bravely report the ground truth from my station here at the end as is my duty.

In other news, the military just officially banned military members from attending church, and they REALLY, REALLY said I should, too, or I HAVE to stay at home and telework. I can't actually telework fulltime, but I have to. Because SCIENCE. I'm going to sell t-shirts and bumper stickers and masks, instead. They'll say "Six feet away or six feet under!" I'm going to make a fucking killing, you guys.

In all seriousness, I have never been more ashamed of the United States military leadership than I am at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    Are you guys really talking about different 'races' expressing different phenotypes as 'success' and/or 'intelligence'? No one publishes anything on this topic because there's no data, no clear definitions, and no way to conduct meaningful experiments. And thus the null hypothesis is assumed to be true, that there is no significant difference. Its not a conspiracy.
    I bit my tongue on this topic a couple times already, but this is ridiculous. Not only has there been scientific study on intelligence differences between the races, it's common sense. The Bell Curve was published in the mid 90s. This isn't new information.

Would anyone believe that border collies aren't more prone to herding than other breeds, that they're not smarter? Is it just the owners' teachings?

But I could be wrong. After all, according to David, I'm an idiot.

Just to demonstrate that none of us are going to get out of this with our asses intact: Texas realtor group says it will no longer use the word "master" to describe bedrooms and bathrooms in its listings - CNN

God help you if you have a Masters degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just to demonstrate that none of us are going to get out of this with our asses intact: Texas realtor group says it will no longer use the word "master" to describe bedrooms and bathrooms in its listings - CNN

I guess MasterLock will be going out of business as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

In computers and many other technological fields, there is a euphemism to refer to which device is in command: Master Device / Slave Device. I've always wondered when the PC Police were coming for it.

I remember the time the military tried to discourage us from using the term "cockpit" for the more politically correct "flight deck." People started drawing very artistic penises in hidden places on the airplane and labeling them "flight decks." You'd pull a panel off to access something and there would be a big, giant flight deck staring you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    In all seriousness, I have never been more ashamed of the United States military leadership than I am at this moment.
    No families at boot camp graduations; currently, they’re closed ceremonies. Sounds like the guys will get some on-base leave (again, no families) in that final graduation week, then probably ship straight to MCT.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    In computers and many other technological fields, there is a euphemism to refer to which device is in command: Master Device / Slave Device. I've always wondered when the PC Police were coming for it.
    Rumor is the github will eliminate “master” branches.

It’s getting surreal.