starting strength gym
Page 439 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 3393894294374384394404414494895399391439 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,390 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie Hartmann View Post
    But I could be wrong. After all, according to David, I'm an idiot.
    If you don't understand that there's far more variance within an "ethnicity" group from those studies than between the groups, then yeah. You missed the point.

Did you know that Africa is also the most genetically diverse continent? Oh, and I have stupid people in my family. And smart people. Weird, that...

You know what else? I've known a lot of people in my life, and I'll coexist with stupid nice person over a smart asshole any day of the week.

Perhaps the cotton industry will be next. No more 100% cotton T-shirts. How will the bar stay on my back while I squat?

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Rumor is the github will eliminate “master” branches.

It’s getting surreal.
    I wish I had a "facepalm" emoji available to use, but I'm afraid it'd be overused. I just updated some of my repositories last night, and the thought of "master branch" being somehow racist was the furthest thing from my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just to demonstrate that none of us are going to get out of this with our asses intact: Texas realtor group says it will no longer use the word "master" to describe bedrooms and bathrooms in its listings - CNN

God help you if you have a Masters degree.
    Wonder if Disney is gonna do a recut of the Star Wars films to get rid of all the bits where someone calls a jedi "master".

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    If you don't understand that there's far more variance within an "ethnicity" group from those studies than between the groups, then yeah. You missed the point.

Did you know that Africa is also the most genetically diverse continent? Oh, and I have stupid people in my family. And smart people. Weird, that...

You know what else? I've known a lot of people in my life, and I'll coexist with stupid nice person over a smart asshole any day of the week.
    Yes, I've heard your liberal trope about variance within an "ethnicity" group. It's meaningless. Comparing the variance between groups uses the average of said groups, while the variance within a group uses every member. The distribution curves overlap.

Do you think that I'm so simplistic in my thinking that I don't realize that traits exist on a spectrum within a group? Do you take offense when someone claims that men are stronger than women?

The problem with stupid people is that we live within a social structure where they have control over how I live my life. They can vote. And in my experience, they are far more likely to vote for piss poor policies/representatives than those of a higher intellect.

If we don't allow ourselves to accept that their are certain important differences between populations (like IQ) because it might hurt someones feelings, we cannot properly explain why these populations have different outcomes.

Just to demonstrate that none of us are going to get out of this with our asses intact: Texas realtor group says it will no longer use the word "master" to describe bedrooms and bathrooms in its listings - CNN

What about master cylinder for your brakes and the slave cylinder the operates the clutch? This shit is getting out of control.

Oh fuck.

What would be your opinion on the statement: "Men are genetically superior athletes to women"?
    How about the statement: "There are more male geniuses than female geniuses, but there are also more male retards than female retards"?
    Or "gender is a social construct"?

Nearly all of us have friends of all races and have known intelligent individuals of all races. The question is accretive and probabalistic; it is not binary or deterministic.

At this point, I have been lied to so much in my life that I feel highly obligated to ask the questions I was told not to ask.

Once again, no response necessary. These are just questions to be considered.

Relax, David, with your passive aggressive "idiots" and "assholes.". The whole of American culture, MSM, and institutions supports your opinion on the lack of correlation between race and anything other than skin pigmentation.
    You've simply found one of the few places left where people can at least openly debate the topic without fear of being called an -IST (!), and someone it seems that is causing you to feel threatened about the opinions that you hold (or you can explain better than me how thinking differently about race makes one an idiot, in your opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    These are the questions we are not allowed to ask and should not ask. But, they remain questions.

We do know that addictive behaviours, like alcoholism, have a strong genetic component; Drug metabolism specifics and addictive behaviour in response to it can be observed in families. (As far as I know, we cannot, however prove it on a genetic level)

We cannot prove, but cannot falsify and can observe through medical imaging and logic that genetic differences are likely to cause a much higher activiation of the reward center of the brain in males relative to females, when playing video games or accomplishing mathematical or computer programming related tasks; These differences cause males to "work harder" at certain tasks, like video games.

If no component of poverty is genetic, then the Marxist equality of outcome argument wins; We all have the exact same genetic potential, the exact same desires, the exact same tastes in food, the exact same hormonal levels, the exact same athleticism, the exact same intelligence, the exact same musical talent etc; the only difference being that we were exposed to a different environment.

These are just concepts and observations to consider. They do not necessarily have a correct answer and I do not expect a response.

Is it possible to break down your terms and questions into more simplistic, fundamental terms and questions? Do you believe heuristics is a valid approach for coming to conclusions about the world around us that are good enough? What do you think about Karl Popper's principle of falsifiability?

The colloquial definition of conspiracy seems to have recently greatly shifted from the traditional dictionary definition.

Again, no response expected. These are just questions to consider.
    No need for us to break it down, as others already have. The human genome project has been underway for 20 years and as a whole has failed to connect the lines between genes, expressed proteins, and disease. The entire scientific community has accepted the fact that we don't have the ability to go from genome to phenotype expect in a few examples. That's just the way it is, that is the current state of the science. Bioinformaticians continue to churn through billions of DNA sequences, attempting to dig out some correlations. And of course they look at different ethnicities since this can be issue an issue in clinical trials. There's a lot of money to be made. But it just doesn't work well (or at all)...and this is looking for simple things, like correlations to heart disease, alzheimers, or certain kinds of cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie Hartmann View Post
    I bit my tongue on this topic a couple times already, but this is ridiculous. Not only has there been scientific study on intelligence differences between the races, it's common sense. The Bell Curve was published in the mid 90s. This isn't new information.

Would anyone believe that border collies aren't more prone to herding than other breeds, that they're not smarter? Is it just the owners' teachings?

But I could be wrong. After all, according to David, I'm an idiot.
    The Bell Curve is based on IQ tests, which no one (expect you it seems) believes is an accurate measure of intelligence when testing across widely different economic and social groups. There isn't a trusted method of measuring intelligence which isn't polluted with environmental factors. That's why you need to dump your reliance on such tests, and go straight to genome-proteins-phenotypes. But that connection is too complex and isn't understand.

Regarding dogs. Yes, you could breed humans. We all know this. But the different ethnicities weren't purposefully 'bred' towards a certain phenotype. There has been evolutionary pressure, but we have no clue if that made some groups more 'intelligent' than others. It could have, but how would you measure it anyways, you can't strip away the environmental factors.

And back to dogs. You can sequence the parent's genome, and x-ray them...but you still won't know if your labrador (or shepard) will have hip dysplasia. Breeders can't even figure out how to predict that, and that's WITH DNA testing the parents. And dyslpasia is easy to diagnose, and dogs are purposefully bred, and you can breed through many generations quickly in a controlled manner. Its not simple stuff.

And back to the Bell Curve again. This is a purely correlational study. That's another red flag. This is not proven, accepted stuff, at all.

starting strength coach development program
    It’s extremely unfortunate this country is now at odds with American History.
    Trying to rewrite history is not needed.
    The current situation between Virus and Riots aka Protest is a political stunt to spin the narrative.
    Obviously something is going on with the Virus?
    Mark has mentioned that in his city Whitcha Falls Texas hospitals where sitting idle? No patients?
    Yet the state of Texas is on alert at the moment with Houston as a hotbed of spikes.
    What do you guys make of the current recent Huge Spikes ?