starting strength gym
Page 450 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3504004404484494504514524605005509501450 ... LastLast
Results 4,491 to 4,500 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    That Texas daily-death data should be viewed with the 3-day smoother disabled.

Also, why is there a large persistent oscillation in the data? Is this a processing artifact? I think I've seen it in other public health datasets recently.
    I’ve been reliably told that the predictable oscillation in the data (it’s harmonically perfect) is a reporting artifact. Details unknown, but probably something like all data is due on a fixed date, and it catches up periodically.

It bothers the shit out of me that it’s not explained or corrected for.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Masks aren’t the end all be all, they just help. Just because they don’t reduce your chance to practically 0 like wearing a positive pressure suit doesn’t make them moot. The vast majority of stuff leaving your mouth and nose goes into the mask and sure, a small amount will go outside through cracks. But it doesn’t have to be an all or nothing game. We wear masks at work when assembling things in clean environments, not because it’s required (only class 1000 for most stuff) but it’s easy and it helps and it’d be stupid as hell to waste 2 weeks finding out your parts are too dirty to use because someone was too lazy to wear a mask. Also yeah, I agree that people who wear them incorrectly are dumb and it’s pointless in that case.

I guess my point is: masks help. Do they help a lot? I don’t know. Should everyone be mandated to wear them while out in public? Nah. Will I wear one walking down my street, or driving my car? Lol no. Will I wear one if I’m going to a crowded place, like a store, or a park I know is crowded? Yes. Do I see this as a massive affront on my civil liberties? Nah. Personally I see the partisanship, fearmongering, and just general stupidity from both sides as a much bigger threat to the fabric of our country and to our society than masks.
    Do cloth masks and the like help with curbing or stopping the spread of this virus?

What kind of "dirty" gets on "things" that are assembled in "clean" environments that a mask stops? I am genuinely curious about this. What the fuck is coming out of your face?

Will you continue to wear a mask in a crowded place, long after covid19 is moot, to ward off other pathogens (pathogen=any foreign infectious agent) including the common cold (a corona virus)?

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    Personally, I can't say I feel strongly either way. But I can't help but assume that the CDC (which is directly over seen by the President and a Covid task force personally overseen by Pence) would be a more credible source than Dr Gold. I took a quick look, and I can't find any publications of any kind by Dr Gold, and I don't see any evidence of her having experience with this particular topic. I'm not sure why she's writing an article on it.

From Mike Pence “If your local officials, in consultation with the state, are directing you to wear a mask, we encourage everyone to wear a mask in the affected areas. And where you can’t maintain social distancing, wearing a mask is just a good idea,” Pence said. “And it will, we know, from experience, will slow the spread of the coronavirus.”

The CDC has several citations regarding the effectiveness (purported) of masks. Gold's article has no citations. A few abstract are pasted below. Some of these papers are new. Some are old (pre-covid). They are published by many different countries.

Abstract
    The surge of patients in the pandemic of COVID-19 caused by the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 may overwhelm the medical systems of many countries. Mask-wearing and handwashing can slow the spread of the virus, but currently, masks are in shortage in many countries, and timely handwashing is often impossible. In this study, the efficacy of three types of masks and instant hand wiping was evaluated using the avian influenza virus to mock the coronavirus. Virus quantification was performed using real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. Previous studies on mask-wearing were reviewed. The results showed that instant hand wiping using a wet towel soaked in water containing 1.00% soap powder, 0.05% active chlorine, or 0.25% active chlorine from sodium hypochlorite removed 98.36%, 96.62%, and 99.98% of the virus from hands, respectively. N95 masks, medical masks, and homemade masks made of four-layer kitchen paper and one-layer cloth could block 99.98%, 97.14%, and 95.15% of the virus in aerosols. Medical mask-wearing which was supported by many studies was opposed by other studies possibly due to erroneous judgment. With these data, we propose the approach of mask-wearing plus instant hand hygiene (MIH) to slow the exponential spread of the virus. This MIH approach has been supported by the experiences of seven countries in fighting against COVID-19. Collectively, a simple approach to slow the exponential spread of SARS-CoV-2 was proposed with the support of experiments, literature review, and control experiences.

Abstract
    We identified seasonal human coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses in exhaled breath and coughs of children and adults with acute respiratory illness. Surgical face masks significantly reduced detection of influenza virus RNA in respiratory droplets and coronavirus RNA in aerosols, with a trend toward reduced detection of coronavirus RNA in respiratory droplets. Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals.

Conclusions: The arrestance of airborne vegetative cells and endospores by surgical masks worn by simulated contagious patients supports surgical mask use as one of the recommended cough etiquette interventions to limit the transmission of airborne infectious agents.

Abstract
    We assessed the in vivo efficacy of surgical and N95 (respirator) masks to filter reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)-detectable virus when worn correctly by patients with laboratory-confirmed acute influenza. Of 26 patients with a clinical diagnosis of influenza, 19 had the diagnosis confirmed by RT-PCR, and 9 went on to complete the study. Surgical and N95 masks were equally effective in preventing the spread of PCR-detectable influenza.
    None of what you posted refutes anything I or Dr. Gold wrote.

One of the central points of this entire thread is that officials are telling us to do something that is not a significant factor in saving ourselves from CV19. Hence, I pay no mind to Pence. But I mostly pay no mind because I, as many scientists know, that masks do very little to stop the spread of a virus.

Helpful science hint: Abstracts are not meant to be the most informative and thorough part of a scientific paper. That's why they use terms like "trend toward" and "could."

In addition, I was referring to the vast majority of masks worn by the public (cloth, paper, the cheap kind you get at Home Depot.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Told ya.

Yes, you did. Glad someone found all this info, because I sure as heck couldn't. Haven't gotten around to reading the rest...my blood pressure needs a break.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I'm not conspiracy minded, so can't agree that any of this was planned (possible, but very unlikely to me; I'll read those links soon). Probably "we" fell into this through incompetence and fear, the bureaucratic machine was started, and it maintains the momentum. In other words, the shift to a new abnormal is largely unconscious and ir-rational. A little like The Prisoner (McGoohan, 1967), where the Prisoner is #6. The Administrators are #2, who work for an unseen, and I think non-existent, #1.

Pawns of our own devices?
    Have you read anything about Event 201?

Do not attribute to stupidity what can be easily explained by sociopathy.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Timely...I've read the first three paragraphs, and am already angry......so I stopped reading.

Dr. Fauci's recurring disease 'nightmares' often don't materialize | Just The News
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Told ya.
    You should keep reading, and you should read the articles linked, and also do some of your own research, if you want to have an opinion on this. It's easy to crap on Fauci, but I think that pushing for an H5N1 vaccine before an epidemic happens is exactly what he should have been doing in 2004.

I don't know where Fumento gets his numbers, but it appears he perhaps hasn't updated them since his 1990 book about AIDS. Heterosexual transmission currently accounts for about 25% of new HIV cases, according to CDC. The total numbers are slowly declining, and we don't fear an epidemic now that we understand transmission well and have decent treatment, but his statement "that number never rose above 4%" is just wrong.

The fact is that there is a constant potential for a viral epidemic. For the head of NIAID to raise the alarm and ask for vaccine production or research money or for people to pay attention 4-5 times in 30 years does not make him an alarmist in my book.

You may have major problems with the way his statements have been chaotically turned into haphazard policy, and certainly he has been wrong at times, but overall his track record is decent IMO.

Regarding accountability for this Coronavirus mass mind-rape, this rare example of a high energy journalist gave California officials hell on the floor:

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Do I see this as a massive affront on my civil liberties? Nah.
    Give it time. Last August, cops stopped Elijah McClain for “being suspicious” because the introverted, socially inept kid was wearing a mask while walking home. Last August, WEARING A MASK was considered “suspicious activity” in such that it was considered reasonable grounds to detain someone, and I guess, kill them.

This August, wearing a mask is not only considered “normal,” but NOT wearing a mask is quickly becoming grounds for “being suspicious.” Now we’ve just given shitty cops another excuse to fuck with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    That's a bit of a stretch to compare the the small white population of South Africa to the Majority white population of the USA. Maybe one day, but not in the near future.
    The white population of South Africa was ~20% in 1970. It is now ~7%.
    The white population in LA and NY in 1970 was ~75% and ~65%. The white population of many metros, like LA and NY today is ~25%.
    South Africa’s white population is still shrinking
    70,000 Whites Murdered in ‘Modern’ South Africa; Obama’s African Legacy – American Free Press
    Minorities are typically not treated well.

The pandemic lockdown type situations are always so unthinkable or ridiculous they could never happen here.... until they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Race has no bearing. Culture has tremendous bearing. Stop conflating the two. Oh, I support strong borders.

...What's your way forward then? Forcibly remove people?....
    Genetics influence absolutely everything. They determine personality traits, food preferences, hormonal levels and fear responses among other things. Culture/environment also can influence everything. (ironically, how you respond to your environment and culture often is determined by epigenetics). The two factors play on each other in successive feedback loops. To discount one or the other is short-sighted.

Removing them is what President Eisenhower did not too long ago and everyone applauded him for it.

Personally, I don't want to see the British nation, culture and people forcibly overrun; Just the same as Yuri Bezmenov didn't want to see the nation, culture and people of India overrun.

starting strength coach development program
    Sully, you may be right, but I can't help but think that if Fauci was in the private sector and as wrong as he's been... Maybe not as frequently but certainly his misses have been BBBIIIGGG misses, he'd have been fired for some level of incompetence. This last coronavirus miss has been literally, world changing. Is it his fault that people listen to him? Not really, and I get that.

Maybe I am wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    You should keep reading, and you should read the articles linked, and also do some of your own research, if you want to have an opinion on this. It's easy to crap on Fauci, but I think that pushing for an H5N1 vaccine before an epidemic happens is exactly what he should have been doing in 2004.

I don't know where Fumento gets his numbers, but it appears he perhaps hasn't updated them since his 1990 book about AIDS. Heterosexual transmission currently accounts for about 25% of new HIV cases, according to CDC. The total numbers are slowly declining, and we don't fear an epidemic now that we understand transmission well and have decent treatment, but his statement "that number never rose above 4%" is just wrong.

The fact is that there is a constant potential for a viral epidemic. For the head of NIAID to raise the alarm and ask for vaccine production or research money or for people to pay attention 4-5 times in 30 years does not make him an alarmist in my book.

You may have major problems with the way his statements have been chaotically turned into haphazard policy, and certainly he has been wrong at times, but overall his track record is decent IMO.