starting strength gym
Page 462 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3624124524604614624634644725125629621462 ... LastLast
Results 4,611 to 4,620 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Coronavirus Rules Forcing People To Die Alone Must Never Happen Again

This is really sickening. Her family was not "allowed" to visit her in the hospital. So she died alone. "Allowed." I am ashamed of us all.
    The no contact shit is probably the most infuriating thing about the COVID response for me. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with it, but imagining people just submitting their sick relatives to a hospital never to be seen alive again, and even prohibited from holding a proper funeral while George Floyd gets three with a gold casket and giant riots are perfectly fine is fucking intolerable. That double standard is the biggest slap in the face to decent people in all of this. Whether you believe COVID is a danger worthy of a lockdown or not, you can't fucking defend letting these giant protests/riots happen while shutting down any other gatherings.

Angry My experience as well

This is really sickening. Her family was not "allowed" to visit her in the hospital. So she died alone. "Allowed." I am ashamed of us all.
    February 6 my Mom had a stroke. Two stints in a rehab/nursing home and two strokes later she died alone in a hospice house hours before my Father was going to bring her home to die with her family finally by her side.

I had not physically been in my mother's presence since the early days of March - nearly a month before she passed. A week before her final stroke I was able to talk to her by Facetime over the phone.

Not only did I not get to be with her, and she died alone, we were unable to have a funeral. She was cremated, and we are having a small family gathering July 18 to remember her and find closure. I miss my Mom.

I'm angry. I want to sue hospitals, nursing homes, government officials. I want people to pay dearly. A class action lawsuit should be started for all the people who had to deal with this over the last few months. This should never, ever, have happened.

Imagine turning up to the hospital knowing this will be the last time you'll ever see them, and being physically barred from doing so. I've run through this mental scenario a number of times, and I just end up lost in thoughts of anger and despair. I don't know what I'd actually do in a real-life situation like this.

I thought everyone knew about this.

I can definitely vouch for this situation. Since March, I've been through this exact same scenario more times than I can count having had MANY patients crash and burn from COVID-19 (I lost 5 in one week, a higher mortality than I've ever experienced in my 30+ years in internal medicine). Early on, I started giving informed consent about exactly this possibility to all of my patients and families when a loved one was contemplating going to the hospital; this, regardless of their presumed diagnosis. It's truly amazing to me how many families opted NOT to send parents or grandparents to the hospital given the situation described in that article.

This is no joke although Hospitals are now more permissive regarding visits particularly with patients who are actively dying. I believe they've always been permissive with pediatric patients but that's not my patient population.

Incidentally, the fears have been more for other patients in the hospitals getting COVID-19 from unrestricted visitor access and of visitors getting COVID-19 from their presumptive or test-proven-positive loved ones (there's a definite learning curve with the use of PPE that would cause a newbie to be at high risk). Physicians and nursing staff are fairly successful at protecting themselves although there are many failures here as well including some deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    I'm surprised you're just now hearing about this. I hear it from family friends who are nurses - patients being left in the room by themselves while the staff and family watch them die from a monitor. Utterly tragic and disgusting.
    I'm not just now hearing about this -- I believe I've mentioned it on the podcast. I just now saw this story, so I just now posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Button View Post
    Imagine turning up to the hospital knowing this will be the last time you'll ever see them, and being physically barred from doing so.
    Physically barred from keeping your mother company while she dies? Because someone tells you that you can't go up to her room? Tell me what this looks like, please. It had better look like a tasered arrest by three men, or you dishonored your mother, and you get to live with that longer than the arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    I thought everyone knew about this.
    You might remember this post from back in March.

]
    Physically barred from keeping your mother company while she dies? Because someone tells you that you can't go up to her room? Tell me what this looks like, please. It had better look like a tasered arrest by three men, or you dishonored your mother, and you get to live with that longer than the arrest.
    I’ve been wondering about this myself since I first saw reports of it back in March. You’d need an army of jackbooted thugs to keep me out of my mother’s hospital room.

“Do no harm...” What a joke.

It really is amazing that so many people have accepted the premise that other people must "allow" them to see their dying mother. This "allow" thing is very troubling.

It really is amazing that so many people have accepted the premise that other people must "allow" them to see their dying mother. This "allow" thing is very troubling.
    Agreed. Yet, people allow themselves to be allowed all the time.

starting strength coach development program
    I hope I didn't give the impression that I accept that premise. I find it despicable and depressing to think about.