starting strength gym
Page 463 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 3634134534614624634644654735135639631463 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,630 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It really is amazing that so many people have accepted the premise that other people must "allow" them to see their dying mother. This "allow" thing is very troubling.
    I get it Mark. The problem comes down largely to negative externalities. There are numerous cases of patients who had no evidence or history even remotely suggestive of COVID-19 coming INTO the hospital and acquiring COVID while there often having never left the emergency room. They're discharged and get the disease a week later with no other known exposure. I say that this must happen numerous times because I know of several cases with my own patients.

There are consequences to giving visitors unfettered access to patients in the hospital. Sorry to say it but it is what it is. Maybe the way things have been done could be executed better. Unfortunately, the facts are that this disease is a bad actor. You can get it from being wheeled by an asymptomatic visitor in the hospital after a brief contact. Nor is this merely theory.

I think you know how libertarian and conservative I am Mark. I truly hate what's happening right now. This ISN'T what I signed up for. Last week I had a panic attack in the middle of seeing a patient. Full on PPE since day one but freaked out when I was almost not let into a building because my temp was a degree high; this after taking a cell phone call for 10 minutes in the parking lot in hot weather. Walked around the air-conditioned lobby and was back to normal. Ten minutes later, seeing a patient and being suddenly unable to breath, heart rate in the 120s. Took a breather, got my shit together and was ok in twenty minutes. THAT'S what people are experiencing right now in healthcare!

Perhaps the solution could have been better but the problem being addressed is still real.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    I get it Mark.

Perhaps the solution could have been better but the problem being addressed is still real.
    I don't think you do.

sb

John, I know you well enough to know that you're not part of the problem. BUT (wait for it) you may be close enough to the car that you can't see the highway. The death rate for people under 45 is essentially 0%. The death rate gets mildly significant when you're over 75, and significant when you're in a nursing home, where you go to die anyway. The IFR is in the 0.0n% rate across the country except for NYC, and we all know why this is. If the ambulance shows up from the nursing home with the old guy, do you ask where the pickup was? When you leave the ER for a more distant perspective shared by the res of us, this disease is essentially the seasonal flu, which kills people in a certain demographic. I know people who work on the "front lines" who have a different perspective that the rest of us, who are seeing the most bizarre transformation in our daily lives in the history of this country, and who have no idea why THIS YEAR is suddenly different from, for example, 2009 when lots of people died from the flu. The IFR is low, quite comparable to the flu, and the rest of us who just want to go back to work don't understand why this year has been decided to be The Year We Go Apeshit Over Maybe Getting Sick, since it's really not that different except for the government response. The rest of us see the wildly inflated death coding, the masks which function as merely badges of honor/intelligence/civic virtue, the exponential expansion of local and state government power in the complete absence of any measurable benefit to anyone except the state, and the fear this insanity has wrought, to the extent that families are scared to let each other into their homes. This is a dystopian-nightmare screenplay being lived out across the world, FOR NO APPARENT LOGICAL REASON. We are getting very tired of it, and it will be interesting to see how much more of it we are willing to put up with.

Its also a coronavirus, pretty much the most common type of viruses on the planet, and so NEW cases will never cease.What they won't tell you is that 98% of people infected eventually clear the virus

Obviously I oppose the applied application of physical punishment against children, however sometimes, not as punishment , a parent must physically intervene to stop an out of control child . They must physically restrain the child from further acts of aggression and the child, not easily complying, will flail, squirm, fight, etc. and to the nanny do- gooders, this will appear as parental abuse.

John, I know you well enough to know that you're not part of the problem. BUT (wait for it) you may be close enough to the car that you can't see the highway. The death rate for people under 45 is essentially 0%. The death rate gets mildly significant when you're over 75, and significant when you're in a nursing home, where you go to die anyway. The IFR is in the 0.0n% rate across the country except for NYC, and we all know why this is. If the ambulance shows up from the nursing home with the old guy, do you ask where the pickup was? When you leave the ER for a more distant perspective shared by the res of us, this disease is essentially the seasonal flu, which kills people in a certain demographic. I know people who work on the "front lines" who have a different perspective that the rest of us, who are seeing the most bizarre transformation in our daily lives in the history of this country, and who have no idea why THIS YEAR is suddenly different from, for example, 2009 when lots of people died from the flu. The IFR is low, quite comparable to the flu, and the rest of us who just want to go back to work don't understand why this year has been decided to be The Year We Go Apeshit Over Maybe Getting Sick, since it's really not that different except for the government response. The rest of us see the wildly inflated death coding, the masks which function as merely badges of honor/intelligence/civic virtue, the exponential expansion of local and state government power in the complete absence of any measurable benefit to anyone except the state, and the fear this insanity has wrought, to the extent that families are scared to let each other into their homes. This is a dystopian-nightmare screenplay being lived out across the world, FOR NO APPARENT LOGICAL REASON. We are getting very tired of it, and it will be interesting to see how much more of it we are willing to put up with.
    There is some truth to this, but we don't really have a good IFR for the seasonal flu, because we don't generally test asymptomatic people for the flu, and people with mild flu treat it as a cold and don't usually come to get tested either. IFR is always lower than CFR, and one of the apples/oranges comparisons people are making here is comparing the IFR of COVID with the CFR of the flu. It's pretty clear to doctors who have treated both that COVID is a more severe illness than flu (if you get sick from it). For example, your chance of having a stroke while hospitalized for COVID is about 7x that of having a stroke while sick with flu. There is a systemic inflammatory response to COVID that is significantly different from that of the flu.

Many people fret about "overtesting," feeling that the inflation of "case" numbers exaggerates the severity of the epidemic. You could also argue that "overtesting" reveals more mild/asymptomatic cases than we are aware of in most other situations, and that the inflation of "case" numbers understates the severity of the infection itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    There are consequences to giving visitors unfettered access to patients in the hospital. Sorry to say it but it is what it is. Maybe the way things have been done could be executed better. Unfortunately, the facts are that this disease is a bad actor. You can get it from being wheeled by an asymptomatic visitor in the hospital after a brief contact. Nor is this merely theory.
    Covid-19 exists, that’s not disputed. However, developing stress because people contract the virus is absurd. This is not the bubonic plague. This is a Coronavirus. Coronaviruses normally trigger symptoms no more extensive than those associated with the common cold, as a look through any medical dictionary will show. Admittedly, this particular strain of Coronavirus is nasty, BUT it is no more deadly than Influenza, which kills tens of thousands every year. You wouldn’t give two hoots about a particularly vicious flu cycle (like the most recent one, for example: 2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates | CDC )

Tens of thousands of people die from the flu every year. MILLIONS become Flu ‘cases’. The mass media, nor the WHO nor big businesses do not dramatize it whatsoever. And this coming winter, many tens of thousands will succumb to the flu, just as happens every year without fail.

The thing that’s scaring people like yourself is that the supposed death rate is so high. It is high, but it is artificially so. Straight from horse-face’s mouth: YouTube

Personally, I see this a dangerous mixture of hyper-emotionalism, being a symptom of a civilization in rapid and advanced internal decay, along with a concerted campaign to inflate certain facts and feelings in order to disrupt Trump’s chances of re-election and increase the possibility for election fraud. There is no doubt also a twisted pleasure in the previously unseen levels of control and power enjoyed by government and big business at the moment. Here in Britain, I’ve noticed that big businesses are as gung-ho about this hysterical myth as our lynch-worthy governments.

A much bigger problem is the coming chronic large-scale unemployment and increase in violent crime and general social unrest. These things wouldn’t have happened without the Coronavirus Lockdown, I think that's agreed by most sane people.

“In only six weeks, city after city operated by entrenched Democrats have seen a massive expansion in lawlessness, violence, and murder. Stunningly, many news outlets seem gobsmacked and mystified at how or why such an explosion of lawlessness has occurred.

For the sake of brevity, let’s sample six of the nation’s largest cities, including all of the top three.

New York:

The Democratic mayor has long been understood as anti-police. His wife recently imagined the city as “Nirvana” if the NYPD were eliminated altogether.

Thus far in 2020, homicides are up 21 percent. Shootings are up by 46 percent. The Democratic mayor’s agenda included emptying the prison known as Rikers Island, bail reform letting perps walk before the paperwork is completed, and the effort to #DefundPolice that took 600 anti-crime units out of commission.

Los Angeles:

June saw disturbing trends. An increase in the month’s first week by 250 percent of homicides, and a 56 percent increase in shootings. Following the death of George Floyd in May the LAPD received a $150 million cut.

Chicago:

Year-to-date shootings have eclipsed 1,508 for 2020, putting them 350 ahead of 2019. To date homicides sit at 254, placing them ahead of 2019. Important to note that the Cook County board voted in favor of defunding police. Eleven city alderman raced to the fore to demand that not a single penny of $333 million in federal dollars not go to police, and various proposals are being considered to cut current funding by more than $30 million in current spending.

Washington, D.C.

Year-to-date homicide numbers are 13 percent higher than this time a year ago. Nevertheless, the District PD is slated to be defunded by more than $15 million.

Philadelphia:

Shootings are up 67 percent. Victims of armed violence are up 29 percent. Homicides are up 25 percent. So of course it makes sense to defund the Philadelphia PD by $19 million.

Baltimore:

As consistently one of the most dangerous cities in America with a five-year streak of more than 300 murders, last year Baltimore set a new record at 348 homicides. Yet in 2020 they outpace last year’s record and will see defunding to the effect of $22 million.
    From Six Weeks, Six Cities, 600 Murders This doesn’t include all the suicides. And it’s only going to get worse. The question is, was it all worth it? It could all have been avoided had they allowed the virus to run it’s course.

The worst part is that we just know that once it’s all subsided, those responsible for unleashing this civilization-wrecking chaos will get away with it, and never be held accountable.

It really is amazing that so many people have accepted the premise that other people must "allow" them to see their dying mother. This "allow" thing is very troubling.
    I can tell you from personnel experience that when their are no family members around a patient in ICU they sure don't get the same amount of care as those with someone to monitor what's going on.

...the rest of us who just want to go back to work don't understand why this year has been decided to be The Year We Go Apeshit Over Maybe Getting Sick...
    Why this year?

November.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Button View Post
    You might remember this post from back in March.
    This was my grandpa, and our family has most certainly not forgotten about it, nor will we.