starting strength gym
Page 464 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3644144544624634644654664745145649641464 ... LastLast
Results 4,631 to 4,640 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The last bastion has fallen here. There is no where left to shop within several counties or cities from me that does not force me to perform an act of civil disobedience in order to buy groceries, dog food or diapers. My wife was downtown in Charleston yesterday. She spotted no police officers, but she did see that fewer than a hundred out of around two hundred people were even wearing masks, and many that were only were carrying or had them hanging around their necks.

Mayor issues Emergency Proclamation to make masks mandatory | The City of Goose Creek, SC

I have, admittedly, dithered on this civil disobedience. I now have my home under contract, have a move-out date, and will be submitting my two week notice once I close. We also received two key emails over the weekend at my job. One admonishing us on how SARS-COV-2 is an existential threat to the readiness of the fleets to fight a war. But, hey... at least we've manage to stand up and staff the Diversity Council and a new deputy director position for racial healing and equity (they actually used equity and not equality) to address the "widespread issues" in the military with regard to ethnicity and other group identities. I've never felt more sure in my decision to walk away from a career of a decade and a half in order to move in with family while I make serious changes, and I question whether putting that timeline in jeopardy for a country that doesn't give a single, solitary fuck is worth it. What would I be standing up for or against? At least the Greeks at Thermopylae, once they realized they were surrounded, could die at peace knowing their families were not with them and had likely been allowed the time to gather enough of an army to fully repel the Persians. Can we all fit in South Dakota?

Apparently, military leadership went to the same universities and academies as the rest of the Postmodernist Elite, and everyone who would stand up and voice their concerns has either retired, left or is leaving. The only ones who stay are the lazy, those just trying to finish out the last few years for their retirement, or the few kids who got suckered into the scholarship program with civil service obligations. Meanwhile, large projects such as the Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle, Littoral Combat Ship, Joint Strike Fighter and the USS Gerald R. Ford either have failed, or continue to fail, integration and development in order to meet program milestones and requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post

If I did accept your unelected central planner premise, I can see where it could make some sense. But it's a little far out there, IMO, Mulder.
    Ok, Opie. If we're doing nicknames, I prefer Eddie Bravo over "Mulder". Keep an eye on Southern District of NY, and let's revisit later in the movie.

Nursing homes

Here's my experience: Do NOT put your loved ones in a nursing home unless it's a medicaid situation.

For the same money (or less depending on the level of care required), create your own "nursing home" AT HOME. It's not that hard once your team is stable, you'll learn TONS of real medicine...and if you and your wife take care of yourselves (a squat rack is required), you'll survive it and be able to look yourselves in the mirror when it's all over. Your parents gave you 18 years of their lives, you were a pain in the ass...so you owe them this.

Most importantly, YOU MAKE THE RULES. You decide what is "allowed".

Before watching this video, remember that 5 state Governors ordered elderly COVID19 patients INTO nursing homes:

UK - Dr Vernon Coleman: You Government Wants you Dead - Banned From Youtube

It's all worth a listen, but at least start at 4:50 and listen until your ADHD overrules...
    "The only logical conclusion is that thousands of old people around the world have been murdered. As a result, governments around the world have saved themselves billions in long-term healthcare costs. And those same governments will save themselves billions of pounds per year because of the pensions they won't have to pay.

By sending elderly people with the coronavirus into care homes, the healthcare officials were sending them in as Trojan Horse killers and it's been a holocaust."
    He goes on to explain that this Care home strategy of inserting Trojan Horse patients took place in countries all over the world.

"Is anyone going to convince us this was an unfortunate accident. How many were killed by this wicked plan? ... If I had to make an educated estimate, I would suggest the number of elderly patients murdered globally between the beginning of March and end of May 2020 was somewhere between 100,000 and 150,000. That's a fairly conservative estimate. If any other group of people had been slaughtered so deliberately and so ruthlessly, there would be unbelievable outpouring of anger visible on our streets."
    Back to the cultural revolution, This young man here - eventually, most sane people (all shades of melanin) will stand behind him

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    masks which function as merely badges of honor/intelligence/civic virtue.
    I think that there's good evidence that wearing a mask can reduce viral spread, see here:

Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks | Nature Medicine

I found this article to also be helpful:

Error - Cookies Turned Off

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    You can get it from being wheeled by an asymptomatic visitor in the hospital after a brief contact. Nor is this merely theory.
    Can you please explain how you know this to be true? I'm not challenging you and saying you're wrong, but it seems a bit far fetched based on the IR and the current thoughts on asymptomatic carriers.

I'm genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_V View Post
    I think that there's good evidence that wearing a mask can reduce viral spread, see here:

Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks | Nature Medicine

Did you read that entire study? There are a couple of things that stand out that and are problematic. One of which is it was done on surgical masks only. There is a big difference between surgical masks and cloth and the difference is huge between surgical masks and bandannas (which are quite prevalent.) Secondly, they measured exhalation only through the mask itself and not around the head. The results are not in the least surprising but no where near saying that "wearing masks" prevents transmission.

Jesus, Mr. Rowe. Sad to hear that, but also, congratulations on your new start. When the military has capitulated to this nonsense you know the collapse is on its way.

I've been thinking about your point about the nature of the "conspiracy" behind all this, and you're dead right when you say the hubris and greed is more terrifying than any "conspiracy theory" involving a shadowy deep state... That would at least create some sort of paper trail, involving real people who have names and addresses. It actually sounds like we agree on a fair bit.

I will say that globalism and mass immigration are the crucial ingredients of our whole neo-liberal capitalist system, though. We often hear how the left's cultural Marxism is to blame for all this nonsense, but do you think the military top brass are truly infected with, and believe in, this cultural "Marxism"? As in, do they subscribe to the left's critical race theory ideas floating around out there? Or do they just unthinkingly tow the line, and see themselves simply as cog in the military-industrial complex machine which needs to agree with whatever the dominant, fashionable thought happens to be at the time? I would be genuinely interested to hear your experience of wokeness in the military, if that' s at all possible.

I used to be a libertarian myself, but I realised the flavour of capitalism we have - neo-liberal capitalism - is far more insidious than any sort of Marxist conspiracy theory. This "crony capitalism" isn't going anywhere, and it can't be voted away. Not even if you pick Ron Paul.

As a theory, economic neo-liberalism purports to want to maximize economic freedom for the individual by reducing state interference to the bare minimum, which includes removing government restrictions from transnational movements of goods, capital and people. In order to incessantly grow, which it must do in order to survive, capitalism identifies limits, redefines them as barriers and does whatever necessary to smash through those barriers by manipulating peoples' perceptions and opening up new markets. Politicians are paid to act as accountable authority figures who have our interests in mind, and they pretend they are in total control of this process.

Reagan and Thatcher led us to believe financialization and globalization, and the rich paying less tax, would make us all wealthier due to the trickle-down effect. They really sold it to the working class and middle class, describing it as leveling out the playing field. The far left's Marxist critiques of capitalist society would be naturally undermined by everyone behaving as self-interested individuals, motivated by profit and the instinct of self-preservation, and if they were hard-working and inventive enough, the little empires they grew could have the altruistic side-effect of creating job opportunities and wealth for others. Wonderful!

30+ years later, instead of the emancipatory free-market dream they promised, the reality is the middle class has been slaughtered. We're told that to be free and happy is to live in a house with 2 iPads, a fuck-ton of unnecessary, cheaply made Chinese product, and a car or two on the driveway... most importantly, happiness is a credit rating which allows you to pay for it all, and pretend it's all real. The truth is we have stagnated and live in an absurd fantasy world created by and for the 1%, with an 11 year bull run sustained by nothing but debt creation and share buybacks. These wars seem to have benefited to the 1% the most, too. I don't think Halliburton and Raytheon are interested in economic Marxism, and they are certainly unaffected by the racial tension on our streets.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Can you please explain how you know this to be true? I'm not challenging you and saying you're wrong, but it seems a bit far fetched based on the IR and the current thoughts on asymptomatic carriers.

I'm genuinely curious.
    Because I've seen this exact event happen in at least three patients that I know by name, each of which resulted in death. My assumption is that if this was an unusually rare occurrence I wouldn't have seen three cases of this in my own limited experience. Not going to go into detail about them. You can trust me or not.

BTW, every Death Certificate that -I've signed where the patient died of COVID-19, died of COVID-19. This has also been true of my colleagues. I heard a ridiculous statement (second hand) on the Joe Rogan Podcast made by a physician that said that if a person was eaten by a shark but tested positive for SARS CoV 2, his COD would be listed as COVID-19.

Anyone who believes that such misclassifications are COMMON ENOUGH TO SUBSTANTIALLY DRAMATICALLY ALTER COVID-19 DEATH STATISTICS needs better proof.

Remember that in a bad flu year, the impetus to misclassify other causes of death to influenza are most likely equally likely. SOMETHING is killing my patients that is accompanied by cough, fever, certain hematologic changes, time frame consistent with COVID-19 and no other obvious explanation. We're way past the standard flu season. If there is misclassification of a significant percentage of the 130K+ deaths attributed to COVID-19, I wonder if we're having a great year for other pulmonary diseases (as entered on DCs)? Perhaps the numbers are enough to lower the huge numbers of deaths do to garden variety bacterial pneumonia or COPD but still...

I know of a healthy physician colleague in the ICU with multi-organ failure on a vent and hemodialysis due to COVID-19 age 52 with no premorbid conditions. The only time I've seen this in my entire career due to a hospital-acquired infection was in the third world. I was a professor at UCLA working at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center on the wards during the H1N1 outbreak. This is not that.

I believe that MUCH of our policy is wrong regarding this outbreak. I think the media and the talking head medical experts have comported themselves poorly. Much of what Mark said in his response to my earlier posts is CORRECT and I don't disagree with most of it. So yes. There's a better than good chance that I'm not seeing the highway.

But from what I'm seeing, this is a bad disease and I've NEVER personally seen this level of mortality from an infectious disease (except in the third world) in my life. Admittedly I take care of a frail, elderly population but I have done so for the last 6 years and this is different.

Too tired to edit this or even reread it. Getting weaker by the day because I can't train as I can't get companies to send me the equipment yet for a home gym. Even when gyms DO open up, I'm terrified of being the index case of an epidemic in the wonderful community of 4 Star Gym in El Segundo, CA so I won't be training there in the near future. I do know that we'll somehow get through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_V View Post

SURGICAL FACEMASKS not an old T-shirt or piece of cloth. (From the abstract)

[QUOTE]Among the samples collected without a face mask, we found that the majority of participants with influenza virus and coronavirus infection did not shed detectable virus in respiratory droplets or aerosols [QUOTE] (From the Discussion) Interesting.

I would say a dubious effect and ONLY if it is a surgical facemask. If a person is asymptomatic, why force them to do this? Most people don't shed detectable virus samples, who are confirmed with the (a) virus.

Again, you are responsible for YOUR health. YOU want to wear a mask and walk around, knock yourself out. No one is going to yell at you about wearing it...Not going to issue a fine for wearing one....seems one sided. I am not responsible for you. I am not going to stop you from wearing a face mask (unless you are walking into my yard with a gun....then you have a problem) More importantly, you are not responsible for my health and whether or not I get sick.

AND once again, if whatever you have in your store that mandates facemasking (new language?) is so valuable to me, then I will put one on....it is your store. But if I have a choice about wearing it or not (another store is not forcing it), they will get my money. A lot of this is moot in any case, with all the mandates and directives. Waiting for (expecting) to get fined, before this is over.

sb

Default Dispatches from the globalist east coast elite home of Fox News

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Oh crap. I had not seen that. Is the false positive really that high?

No clue if that is taken into account in the fiasco of Texas Testing for COVID.
    75% false positive for the basic test, no, that is not true. The bottomless credulity you all have for anonymous messageboard posts is something though.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    ...It appears 8 Panel members have/had relationships with Gilead.

Conflict of interest?
    https://files.covid19treatmentguidel...guidelines.pdf
    Professionals working in the same field at the highest level on the singular topic of national import know each other. That is not unusual.

In general, the disrespect on this thread for the hundreds of thousands of citizens dealing with this virus as a pure health matter, the healthcare workers saving lives on overnight shifts, and the impact this has on seniors, even the ones that don’t get it, but fear for their lives, is highly offensive.

Until the spread is under control, no one gets their economy back. The majority of people aren't going to participate because they have real concern. A minority that disagrees going on with their business isn't going to make a dent; seems like we already have the case for that in AZ, TX, FL. Why the solution to that isn't imploring a national response, which has clearly worked in other countries, is odd.

Let's not forget there's a vector between death and survival. Many survivors have been sick for 2-3 months, lung transplants, amputations, and some that survive for 2 months will die.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Is Ghislaine Maxwell a "central planner"?

You are going to have to decrypt this for me. I suppose it seems a cogent point to you, but I am clueless as to what you are getting at. Even if this is something of a departure from the topics discussed so far.
    Mark's getting at something here... Are you all okay?

It's just as THEY—you know who T-h-e-y are don't you. This is exactly as the 3rd Book of Élan: Meshuggah Chronicles: Redux prophesied. I used to think like you, before the Moon was in the 8th House of Aquarius, and my research.

The world is complicated and interconnected; it's sad that the only salve some find is to promote a simplistic alternate reality where a mysterious board of directors is 'running everything.' It never comes to pass does it. Such are the results of an AMWAY education model.

This thread has been something else for the past couple weeks. Particularly watching you all eat your own. It is mildly encouraging that some have stood up to the outright racism here.

Pay no attention that USA has 4% of world population but 25% of both deaths and cases—that's where the real anger should be directed. There's no national plan to address any of this, Americans are now embarrassingly banned from traveling to most Western nations of consequence (who are ending this pandemic), and we'll continue to suffer this crap while everyone else is wrapping it up, having pity on us(a). Sports are back in Europe.
    America does not maintain power when we're left in the dust by the rest of the world. That seems pretty obvious!

Instead, for you in the minority, it’s shiny objects and minutiae like misdemeanor vandalism (local authorities can handle it), sidewalks, statues (who gaf), and how other people choose to live their lives in places you don't live. Really why are you all so obsessed with cities, it's abnormal. There is no equivalent obsession of mind from city people towards the rest of the country I assure you. The culture war is coming from inside the house, your minority view house. Whatever keeps your grievance gears grinding.

Only because it was so pathetic... Dr. Scott Jensen, MD BS: you all see a hero, I see a man willfully emasculating himself on worldwide video. I suppose we will never agree. What does strength mean to you? It’s not strength of mind, community, or stoicism based on the praise for this whining baby.

Lastly, a few positive dispatches from our Great American City; you don't have to visit, but find some patriotism for one of our great sources of power in the world:

You might get a kick out of this regretful d/b/a from a recent ride:

COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Relaxing in total anarchy sanctuary riotville:

I think the Macy's fireworks display in NYC is going to be an interesting test of will for the city, it's occupants, and it's governance. I predict at least some demonstrators, if not rioters, stirring the shit as darkness falls.
    Ok Nostradamus. We're just fine. But every city living rent free in Urban Hurlin's mind, damn that sounds expensive, and you never got the perk of a Broadway show.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    . Last week I had a panic attack in the middle of seeing a patient. Full on PPE since day one but freaked out when I was almost not let into a building because my temp was a degree high;
    I’m sure you’re aware of this, but you’re seeing the rare cases, the abnormal cases, the sad cases, precisely because you work in a hospital.

Years ago I was deployed to Iraq with some several hundred thousand other military folks. I was not on the front lines. I never even left the base. That said, It was in a bad place. They mortared us quite often. But, each night I slept easily because they were bad shots and the base was huge. I figured that if one landed in my bed I wouldn’t know it and the odds were so abysmal then I was just due for expiration.

Day and night, medical helicopters were flying into the base. We had one of the only Class (3?) trauma units in theatre. One day I woke up and for no reason whatsoever my elbow was the size of a tennis ball, and real red and warm. The flight doc took me to the ER there as they had X-rays and other equipment he didn’t readily have.

As we walked the halls of this place, my perspective changed. I got to see some of the people whose luck didn’t turn out so well. It frightened me, but then I also realized that housed here was every unfortunate bastard from all the bases in Iraq in one place. Somewhere deep down I still understood that these were the 1% and that the odds were still overwhelmingly in my favor.

It doesn’t lessen my empathy for those guys, but it allowed me to carry forward and recognize that there was no reason to panic. I’m sure if you asked the doctors, the wounded, and the killed, they’d have told you the war was atrocious. For the rest of us, we had to go about our lives without panic and fear lest we make things 1000 times worse.