starting strength gym
Page 465 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3654154554634644654664674755155659651465 ... LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,650 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_V View Post
    I think that there's good evidence that wearing a mask can reduce viral spread, see here:

Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks | Nature Medicine

I found this article to also be helpful:

Error - Cookies Turned Off
    Dr. Michael Osterholm on masks...

Representative Jeremy Munson - The Homemade Mask Ordinance Debate | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Thanks for explaining your premise.
    Mmm, I don't think that ruling means what you think it did. Seems to me that SCOTUS UPHELD the Constitution and foiled attempts by dems to allow Electors to not be bound to vote with how the voters of the state they were appointed or otherwise selected to represent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Clinton's last-second attempts to change the election results are irrelevant.

If you read the constitution and the writings of the founding fathers, it is clear from either source that electors are free to cast their vote as they see fit. The primary idea behind it was that the average voter does not have the intellectual ability, time or personal access to the presidential candidates required to make an informed decision. The secondary ideas were to prevent voter fraud and further provide a balance of power that prevents mob tyranny.

The current ruling has wide-reaching implications; 7/9 justices were of the opinion that states can punish electors simply because the constitution does no explicitly forbid it. We now have 7/9 justices who have built a precedent in supreme court opinion that allows states to force electors to vote a certain way. If that same opinion is applied to the state pacts that award all electors to the winner of the national popular vote, we have just effectively abolished the electoral college.

Our "federalist" judges are smart enough to know where this is going, so why would they comply with this ruling? I am speculating that it is the for the same reason all of our republican leaders allow themselves to be bullied into submission; They think if they can just appease their enemies enough, their enemies will stop attacking. Our limp-wristed conservative representatives and constitutionalist judges are out of touch with reality. They don't seem to realize their opponents don't give a damn about upholding the constitution.

They hope that if they appease the leftists by weakening the electoral college now, that maybe, just maybe, the leftists won't demand a full tear down of the electoral college if they win the 2020 elections.

This ruling is a grave assault on the foundations of our country.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    The last bastion has fallen here...

...Apparently, military leadership went to the same universities and academies as the rest of the Postmodernist Elite, and everyone who would stand up and voice their concerns has either retired, left or is leaving. The only ones who stay are the lazy, those just trying to finish out the last few years for their retirement, or the few kids who got suckered into the scholarship program with civil service obligations. Meanwhile, large projects such as the Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle, Littoral Combat Ship, Joint Strike Fighter and the USS Gerald R. Ford either have failed, or continue to fail, integration and development in order to meet program milestones and requirements.
    This is the most terrifying post I have seen.

If they are allowed to gain control of the military, a Chinese-style, cultural revolution is guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    It is mildly encouraging that some have stood up to the outright racism here.
    Where? Link/C&P.

The Australian government saw fit to immediately take nine public housing buildings (~3k people) and put them into a "hard" lockdown with about 500 cops. From what I gather, they're telling them it'll be for five days so they can test every single resident. They're not letting them out for any reason except medical emergency. No groceries, exercise, nothing.
    YouTube
    At least they didn't weld the apartment doors shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    Jesus, Mr. Rowe. Sad to hear that, but also, congratulations on your new start. When the military has capitulated to this nonsense you know the collapse is on its way.
    Don't worry about me, man. I have a strong wife, in every respect, who is an excellent mother. I have two healthy children. I have family at home who are looking forward to us staying a while after my military and civil service have kept us away for nearly two decades. If anything, working in a Lowe's or Walmart for a few weeks will be liberating for me. I can mow lawns. I grew up in the country... a hard day's work is a good feeling.

I've been thinking about your point about the nature of the "conspiracy" behind all this, and you're dead right when you say the hubris and greed is more terrifying than any "conspiracy theory" involving a shadowy deep state... That would at least create some sort of paper trail, involving real people who have names and addresses. It actually sounds like we agree on a fair bit.

I will say that globalism and mass immigration are the crucial ingredients of our whole neo-liberal capitalist system, though. We often hear how the left's cultural Marxism is to blame for all this nonsense, but do you think the military top brass are truly infected with, and believe in, this cultural "Marxism"? As in, do they subscribe to the left's critical race theory ideas floating around out there? Or do they just unthinkingly tow the line, and see themselves simply as cog in the military-industrial complex machine which needs to agree with whatever the dominant, fashionable thought happens to be at the time? I would be genuinely interested to hear your experience of wokeness in the military, if that' s at all possible.

I used to be a libertarian myself, but I realised the flavour of capitalism we have - neo-liberal capitalism - is far more insidious than any sort of Marxist conspiracy theory. This "crony capitalism" isn't going anywhere, and it can't be voted away. Not even if you pick Ron Paul.
    I think Ron Paul is right, but he has no way forward. Maybe the Marines really screwed me up, but we are pathologically programmed to ALWAYS press forward. When I say "Give me a pragmatic solution" what I'm trying to do is keep moving and assume responsibility at my level. I think that's what fixes this, but I don't naively believe enough people will actually do it. Fuckin' worked for us, though -- acquire, adapt and overcome. I will be glad when people stop asking for things like term limits, though, and start earnestly talk about cutting down the federal government to about the square root of what it is now with maybe a bit more for the National Defense budget.

As a theory, economic neo-liberalism purports to want to maximize economic freedom for the individual by reducing state interference to the bare minimum, which includes removing government restrictions from transnational movements of goods, capital and people. In order to incessantly grow, which it must do in order to survive, capitalism identifies limits, redefines them as barriers and does whatever necessary to smash through those barriers by manipulating peoples' perceptions and opening up new markets. Politicians are paid to act as accountable authority figures who have our interests in mind, and they pretend they are in total control of this process.

Reagan and Thatcher led us to believe financialization and globalization, and the rich paying less tax, would make us all wealthier due to the trickle-down effect. They really sold it to the working class and middle class, describing it as leveling out the playing field. The far left's Marxist critiques of capitalist society would be naturally undermined by everyone behaving as self-interested individuals, motivated by profit and the instinct of self-preservation, and if they were hard-working and inventive enough, the little empires they grew could have the altruistic side-effect of creating job opportunities and wealth for others. Wonderful!
    Mostly agreed, and to be entirely fair to Reagan... he had no idea Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama were coming 'round the bend. Globalization was still largely not Free Trade back then, but it's all behind us now. It informs the present, but none of it will help us get through the next ten years. Maybe not even the next year.

30+ years later, instead of the emancipatory free-market dream they promised, the reality is the middle class has been slaughtered. We're told that to be free and happy is to live in a house with 2 iPads, a fuck-ton of unnecessary, cheaply made Chinese product, and a car or two on the driveway... most importantly, happiness is a credit rating which allows you to pay for it all, and pretend it's all real. The truth is we have stagnated and live in an absurd fantasy world created by and for the 1%, with an 11 year bull run sustained by nothing but debt creation and share buybacks. These wars seem to have benefited to the 1% the most, too. I don't think Halliburton and Raytheon are interested in economic Marxism, and they are certainly unaffected by the racial tension on our streets.
    I think Dr. Peterson did a lot to synthesize this down to a clear, concise summary of what happened, but he didn't have more of a way forward than I have. The bubbles in our economy have existed for decades. They will eventually pop. If we don't get a handle on civil and international unrest, though, that might not a top priority going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    This is the most terrifying post I have seen. If they are allowed to gain control of the military, a Chinese-style, cultural revolution is guaranteed.
    Don't mistake the Department of Defense for the US Military. As with politics and Washington, DC, the problems get worse the closer you get to the Hill (the "flagpole"). The inverse is true -- the farther out you get, and the closer towards actual combat and operations it veers sharply towards having zero time for anything that isn't killing enemies and winning wars. The problem is that those people don't make policy, and that the military frequently rotates leadership. These Great Advancements at work came in less than two years. Our mission changed from "Provide our war fighters the best and most secure things they need to fight and win any adversary" to what it is now after ONE change of command.

I may have been a little too harsh earlier. There's another small group of people still working civilian positions: the patriotic. Many are, themselves, veterans. But they are wearing very thin after years of sequestration, poor leadership, expanding corporate sector salaries and benefits, and a largely peacetime military relative to the earlier years of GWOT/OIF/OEF. So, slowly, the scales in the DoD are tipping further as more "diversity" champions are retained and more warriors and patriots leave. The military is trending in such a way, too. They shut down an entire Marine Air Base over a few positive COVID-19 cases.

But it's not a done deal, yet. I am done, though. And they likely can't fill my billet because they haven't filled many of the dozens I've watched them lose over the last few years.

It's our first step towards communism Pete!

Now the entire Melbourne metropolitan area (five million people) is under lockdown again for six weeks, mainly due to....wait for it....'the use of private security guards (to guard returning overseas travellers whilst in hotel quarantine), (and) the security guards having sex with quarantined travelers....

You CAN'T make this stuff up!

There is ‘no accountability’ in Victoria over COVID-19 outbreak | Sky News Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    It's our first step towards communism Pete!

Now the entire Melbourne metropolitan area (five million people) is under lockdown again for six weeks, mainly due to....wait for it....'the use of private security guards (to guard returning overseas travellers whilst in hotel quarantine), (and) the security guards having sex with quarantined travelers....

You CAN'T make this stuff up!

There is ‘no accountability’ in Victoria over COVID-19 outbreak | Sky News Australia
    But Fauci said Tinder was OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where? Link/C&P.
    Hollis, may I politely request if you still insist on publicly accusing people of "racism" here, please henceforth type it as "WAAAYCISM", so I can imagine you saying it in a baby-voice.

In other news, "City officials in San Francisco are introducing the 'CAREN' Act to outlaw racially motivated 911 calls. It stands for "Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies."

Also best read in a faux baby-voice: https://twitter.com/UberFacts/status...60191689068544

I cannot believe that is real, but it apparently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    Ok Nostradamus. We're just fine. But every city living rent free in Urban Hurlin's mind, damn that sounds expensive, and you never got the perk of a Broadway show.
    You seem, upset and at the same time project your hate, shit, and discontent on to the posters in the rest of this thread. Which is pretty much the MO of most liberals. Accuse the OTHER of what occupies your own mind.

As you assert about your urban referent group, I'm fine too. I think I will survive having not seen Hamilton on or off Broadway. I've read the book featuring real people who did real things in a real historical context. Not some painfully inclusive bunch of pretenders cavorting about on a stage, just waiting for some dignitary who doesn't share their views to speak truth to from the footlights.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    There is a big difference between surgical masks and cloth and the difference is huge between surgical masks and bandannas (which are quite prevalent.) Secondly, they measured exhalation only through the mask itself and not around the head.
    Fair enough, not all mask types have equal filtration efficiencies, that's certainly not an argument I was making. Looks like masks with multiple layers of differing fabrics is key and something that can be made at home with a needle and thread:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252

Unfortunately, as you noted, they're not very clear on breath collection "Exhaled breath particles were captured and differentiated into two size fractions" seems to be the extent of their description.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    The results are not in the least surprising but no where near saying that "wearing masks" prevents transmission.
    I can't really argue that you should or should not be surprised but like a lot of people who've read and heard various arguments that masks don't do anything, I was surprised. Doesn't it stand to reason that blocking some virus at the source would reduce the probability of transmission? I think the second article I linked shares some useful anecdotal evidence that a mask can prevent transmission. There's also this story of two infected hair stylists that failed to infect any patrons:

Hairstylists with COVID-19 didn't infect any of their 140 clients. Face masks may be why. | Live Science

It's not a controlled experiment but it's not nothing either.