starting strength gym
Page 468 of 3018 FirstFirst ... 3684184584664674684694704785185689681468 ... LastLast
Results 4,671 to 4,680 of 30180

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just an FYI....Ivy League schools have cancelled fall sports. I do not know if this means postponing until spring.

Next major domino to fall will be if the power 5 conferences follow suit. If they decide to cancel as well, that's a HUGE financial problem for most D1 schools.

As an FSU alumnus and booster, I'm concerned, even in FLA, that the season won't happen as planned.

[QUOTE=Sean Berry;1778660]
    SURGICAL FACEMASKS not an old T-shirt or piece of cloth. (From the abstract)

[QUOTE]Among the samples collected without a face mask, we found that the majority of participants with influenza virus and coronavirus infection did not shed detectable virus in respiratory droplets or aerosols
    (From the Discussion) Interesting.

I would say a dubious effect and ONLY if it is a surgical facemask. If a person is asymptomatic, why force them to do this? Most people don't shed detectable virus samples, who are confirmed with the (a) virus.

Again, you are responsible for YOUR health. YOU want to wear a mask and walk around, knock yourself out. No one is going to yell at you about wearing it...Not going to issue a fine for wearing one....seems one sided. I am not responsible for you. I am not going to stop you from wearing a face mask (unless you are walking into my yard with a gun....then you have a problem) More importantly, you are not responsible for my health and whether or not I get sick.

AND once again, if whatever you have in your store that mandates facemasking (new language?) is so valuable to me, then I will put one on....it is your store. But if I have a choice about wearing it or not (another store is not forcing it), they will get my money. A lot of this is moot in any case, with all the mandates and directives. Waiting for (expecting) to get fined, before this is over.

sb
    I find the anti face mask thing pretty strange. First, Goldman Sachs thinks that wearing masks will increase the GDP by 5% (or something to that effect). I didn't read the article, but if their assessment is based on limiting the spread of the virus, or just making people feel better, does it really matter? 5% is a big deal and the country needs it.

Second, the point of the mask is to prevent others, not yourself. Currently there's a lot of people who won't go to store and shop, in an environment where no one wears a mask. It doesn't matter if these people are right or wrong, the stores need these customers.

Third, Pence runs the task force on Covid, and he's clearly stated that people should wear masks when requested, and he's stated that it's known to limit the spread. I'm not sure why people are playing clinical virologists online talking about viral particle size, when they clearly have no real experience on the matter.

Fourth, its estimated (I have no idea on how correct this number is) that 70% of the public will get Covid before herd immunity. That means 30% won't get it. There's a lot of younger people with health problems who would probably like to be part of that 30%. So ripping the bandaid off doesn't mean everyone gets it, about 90 milion american's won't get it (unless Covid just comes back every year).

And I apologize for the list of items...but point 5: I fill out 100 pages of IRS nonsense every year. The burden is insane. Entire weekends of my life doing tax garbage. And yet, somehow, people find wearing a mask as a great burden? I mean, you can't even walk your dog off-leash in America, when the dog is perfectly trained. Its illegal to have your well trained dog off-leash. Of all the things to be upset about, masks don't even make my list. One time my bank froze all my accounts. I couldn't even withdraw my own money, because the US government decided that it wanted all my passport information updated. So they just froze my accounts. Didn't even tell me they were going to do it. And people bitch about masks in the middle of a pandemic...

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    I find the anti face mask thing pretty strange. First, Goldman Sachs thinks that wearing masks will increase the GDP by 5% (or something to that effect). I didn't read the article, but if their assessment is based on limiting the spread of the virus, or just making people feel better, does it really matter? 5% is a big deal and the country needs it.

Second, the point of the mask is to prevent others, not yourself. Currently there's a lot of people who won't go to store and shop, in an environment where no one wears a mask. It doesn't matter if these people are right or wrong, the stores need these customers.

Third, Pence runs the task force on Covid, and he's clearly stated that people should wear masks when requested, and he's stated that it's known to limit the spread. I'm not sure why people are playing clinical virologists online talking about viral particle size, when they clearly have no real experience on the matter.

Fourth, its estimated (I have no idea on how correct this number is) that 70% of the public will get Covid before herd immunity. That means 30% won't get it. There's a lot of younger people with health problems who would probably like to be part of that 30%. So ripping the bandaid off doesn't mean everyone gets it, about 90 milion american's won't get it (unless Covid just comes back every year).

And I apologize for the list of items...but point 5: I fill out 100 pages of IRS nonsense every year. The burden is insane. Entire weekends of my life doing tax garbage. And yet, somehow, people find wearing a mask as a great burden? I mean, you can't even walk your dog off-leash in America, when the dog is perfectly trained. Its illegal to have your well trained dog off-leash. Of all the things to be upset about, masks don't even make my list. One time my bank froze all my accounts. I couldn't even withdraw my own money, because the US government decided that it wanted all my passport information updated. So they just froze my accounts. Didn't even tell me they were going to do it. And people bitch about masks in the middle of a pandemic...
    Just play along, right? Do what's expected of you, right? Even if it's bullshit, right? Do something, even if it's wrong. This has gotten lots of people in lots of trouble over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Just an FYI....Ivy League schools have cancelled fall sports. I do not know if this means postponing until spring.

Next major domino to fall will be if the power 5 conferences follow suit. If they decide to cancel as well, that's a HUGE financial problem for most D1 schools.

As an FSU alumnus and booster, I'm concerned, even in FLA, that the season won't happen as planned.
    Understood, I am a Tar Heel and if basketball is cancelled I may have nothing left to live for ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm tired of Leftists buckets of shit calling us ugly names.
    Hi Rip,

I have visited your Q&A since about 2006. Bought, read and applied the knowledge in your books to get stronger and help others get stronger. Thank you very much.

Ends & Pieces was done away with because it became a morass that negatively impacted the Starting Strength brand. Why have you recreated it here in your Q&A? The echo chamber is resounding pretty damn loudly here. Lots of "us" and "them".

Narrow casting the Starting Strength brand, online coaching and gyms gets pretty damn narrow when things center around politics instead of strength.

Oh, well if GS thinks this then its got to be true. They've never been wrong about anything in the past. That's a track record I can get behind.

Second, the point of the mask is to prevent others, not yourself.
    I've come across plenty of people I'd like to prevent. But a mask ain't gonna cut it.

Currently there's a lot of people who won't go to store and shop, in an environment where no one wears a mask. It doesn't matter if these people are right or wrong, the stores need these customers.
    Yes, indeed the stores need customers. That's been the central point of this thread since page one.

I'm not sure why people are playing clinical virologists online talking about viral particle size, when they clearly have no real experience on the matter.
    Clearly? What if some of them DO have the real world experience? Particle sizes and filtration are EXACTLY the metric needed when discussing the effectiveness of masks.

Dude...

I mean, you can't even walk your dog off-leash in America, when the dog is perfectly trained. Its illegal to have your well trained dog off-leash.
    It is not illegal to have your dog off leash (trained or not) in America- IN AREAS WHERE IT IS ALLOWED AND YOU ASSUME THE RISKS. It is a misdemeanor where there are leash laws. BTW, let me tell you about perfectly trained dogs...there is no such thing. Leash laws in highly populated areas are good, they've saved other dogs from my gun as well as my from my dog (a Cane Corso.)

Of all the things to be upset about, masks don't even make my list. One time my bank froze all my accounts. I couldn't even withdraw my own money, because the US government decided that it wanted all my passport information updated. So they just froze my accounts. Didn't even tell me they were going to do it. And people bitch about masks in the middle of a pandemic...
    We all have hardships. I'm glad masks don't make your list. By all means, wear one at all times.

CNN reported that UNC has 37 associated with football testing positive. Suspended summer workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Understood, I am a Tar Heel and if basketball is cancelled I may have nothing left to live for ;-).

[QUOTE=alsbos;1778796][QUOTE=Sean Berry;1778660]
    SURGICAL FACEMASKS not an old T-shirt or piece of cloth. (From the abstract)

[FONT=Lora]
    Among the samples collected without a face mask, we found that the majority of participants with influenza virus and coronavirus infection did not shed detectable virus in respiratory droplets or aerosols

We're still arguing the merits and minutiae of wearing a mask versus not wearing a mask? Holy Hell this country is so far beyond gone. The warning flares were sent up in March and April, whatever happens from know on to this country the responsibility rests with all the citizens in the country and no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Better question: if it is impossible, long-term, to not be exposed to the corona virus and potentially become symptomatic, what is the point in limiting exposure? Barring a vaccine that's close to 100% effective, everyone gets this thing at some point no matter what. Let's rip the band aid off and get it over and done with.
    Exactly. “Slow the spread.” Is another way of saying “Prolong the suffering.” It seems.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    Ends & Pieces was done away with because it became a morass that negatively impacted the Starting Strength brand. Why have you recreated it here in your Q&A? The echo chamber is resounding pretty damn loudly here. Lots of "us" and "them".

Narrow casting the Starting Strength brand, online coaching and gyms gets pretty damn narrow when things center around politics instead of strength.
    I don't know if you're aware of this, but things in this society have changed recently, they affect all our lives and our training, and I'm providing a forum where intelligent people can discuss them. There aren't many places where you can. This board is thoroughly moderated where E&P was not. This is not an "echo chamber" -- you just disagree with most of us. As far as "us" and "them", here's another thing you may not be aware of: people arrange themselves into "us" and "them" -- I didn't arrange them this way, they did.

Note that your post was not deleted. I we are offending you, be an adult and go somewhere else, but don't ask a thread with 660,000+ views to stop offending you.