starting strength gym
Page 471 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3714214614694704714724734815215719711471 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    It is true that docs and hospital workers see the more severe and outliers among the covid cases. Remember, though, that they also only see the severe outliers among flu cases, and have done so for years. The vast majority of flu cases do not result in hospitalizations. It is a fact that everyone who cares for sick people will tell you that being sick with covid is way worse than being sick with flu. The people who say covid is "basically like a flu" are looking at numbers, graphs, and charts, not taking care of covid and flu patients. Statistically it may look like a bad flu year, but qualitatively you would much prefer to be sick with flu than with covid.
    Fair enough. But the issue I have is doctors being interviewed on the news saying “YOUNG PEOPLE ARE DYING TOO! WE SEE IT EVERY DAY!” Well, of course they do. Where else would they be dying from COVID-19?

I don’t distrust your qualitative analysis. I’m not a medical professional and don’t pretend to be one. However, from a statistical standpoint, virtually 100% of the patients you (and other doctors) see are doing poorly. Yet, they are actually the very small minority of folks - the 1%, if you will.

The odds of shooting a blown lumbar disc across the room from a poorly executed deadlift are probably actually equivalent or slightly larger than this... Most doctors will tell you not to ever do deadlifts because they’re “dangerous.” We know this is almost certainly based on experiential observation and not in science. It’s just that people with blown discs from deadlifting poorly tend to show up to the doctor. Should we close deadlift platforms too?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Gyms open on the 25th in the UK. Just got to dig out that old ABC suit and oxygen tanks-do I need to include the Oxygen tanks in the squat weight ?
    I just shelled out an eye watering amount for a home gym specifically because of this news, and for possibility of going into PHASE TWO restrictions. The price really did psychologically sting, but I won't lift with a surgical mask on my face. As others have said, this will be definitely still be with us in early November - otherwise, what would be the point of it all? So fuck it, got some nice calibrated plates from Leoko in Finland. It should all pay for itself in about 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Who gives a shit what Pence says? There are people in this thread analyzing the exact same articles and data these idiots are using to make policy decisions is over. The internet has effectively destroyed the credibility of these people, which is exactly why the country is currently imploding.

My county of Ohio has now jumped headfirst into the mask mandate, and word is that we're going to go back on lockdown anyways, so what's the fucking point anymore?

In unrelated news, after listening to Rip's podcast this past weekend I have been researching property and career options in South Dakota. Aberdeen seems like a nice place to live, and about as far away as I can get from the coast or any major city.

Exactly. Death rate is essentially 0, long-term damage and severe cases are extreme outliers. The pandemic is over and has been for at least several weeks.

In other news, how well is the mask mandate being follow in Texas? Ohio did the same thing, and my gym put out a FB post saying that they will not enforce it.
    I would assume the people who voted for Pence would care what he thought. I was not one of them. Anyways, I think if a store requires masks, you should just wear a mask. I think it especially inappropriate to give the employees a hard time. I also think it mean spirited to boycott stores because they require a mask. The stores are trying to find a way to stay in business, and they need to do what they need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_V View Post
    I read what you posted, at least one of the studies he cites directly contradicts his conclusion. I took a look at citation 18 "A Quantitative Assessment of the Efficacy of Surgical and N95 Masks to Filter Influenza Virus in Patients With Acute Influenza Infection"

They demonstrated that surgical masks and N95 masks are "equally effective when used for short periods to prevent the spread of infection. Our findings support current guidelines recommending surgical or procedural masks be worn by patients with suspected influenza to limit viral dissemination to others"

This work has been partially replicated by others:

Influenza Virus Aerosols in Human Exhaled Breath: Particle Size, Culturability, and Effect of Surgical Masks
    And this means, of course, that we're all going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    I would assume the people who voted for Pence would care what he thought. I was not one of them.
    Who would have guessed?

Anyways, I think if a store requires masks, you should just wear a mask. I think it especially inappropriate to give the employees a hard time.
    I completely agree. If you don't want to wear the mask, and they require a mask, spend you money someplace else. Obviously.

I also think it mean spirited to boycott stores because they require a mask. The stores are trying to find a way to stay in business, and they need to do what they need to do.
    It's not "mean-spirited," whatever the fuck that means. The stores pandering to local tyrants issuing illegal orders are trying to stay in business the wrong way, and we are merely spending our money as we see fit.

Texas is getting hammered with Cases it’s the latest Epicenter

Do you even know what a "case" is?

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    Anyways, I think if a store requires masks, you should just wear a mask. I think it especially inappropriate to give the employees a hard time. I also think it mean spirited to boycott stores because they require a mask. The stores are trying to find a way to stay in business, and they need to do what they need to do.
    Here's the thing. Don't argue with what Walmart now calls their Health Ambassador posted at the entry door. When they ask if you have a mask, simply answer "No" and keep walking in. As you say, the stores are trying to find a way to stay in business, not enforce stupid rules that THEY don't believe in either. Don't argue, you are only engaging with stupidity and not getting on with what you came to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    I just shelled out an eye watering amount for a home gym specifically because of this news, and for possibility of going into PHASE TWO restrictions. The price really did psychologically sting, but I won't lift with a surgical mask on my face. As others have said, this will be definitely still be with us in early November - otherwise, what would be the point of it all? So fuck it, got some nice calibrated plates from Leoko in Finland. It should all pay for itself in about 10 years.
    I spent a pretty penny too back in June. Still waiting on most of my stuff. My rack should literally be arriving in a few minutes. I have 1.25 lb plates and 2.5 lb plates. No word on when the heavier stuff arrives. :-)

Hopefully my bar from Buddy Capps will be here in a week or two.

My gym is making us wear masks to our workout station and then we can remove them. For me, it’s not a big deal because I’m stationary at the squat rack. You should see the body builder types doing the on/off thing as they traverse every machine in the gym.

Also, the local restaurants are being mandated to LOG YOUR NAME, PHONE #, AND SEATED LOCATION for contact tracing purposes. We’re going out to dine as “Mickey and Minnie of the Mouse Clan.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_V View Post
    I read what you posted, at least one of the studies he cites directly contradicts his conclusion. I took a look at citation 18 "A Quantitative Assessment of the Efficacy of Surgical and N95 Masks to Filter Influenza Virus in Patients With Acute Influenza Infection"

They demonstrated that surgical masks and N95 masks are "equally effective when used for short periods to prevent the spread of infection. Our findings support current guidelines recommending surgical or procedural masks be worn by patients with suspected influenza to limit viral dissemination to others"

This work has been partially replicated by others:

Influenza Virus Aerosols in Human Exhaled Breath: Particle Size, Culturability, and Effect of Surgical Masks
    No one in the UK is calling for properly fitted N95 masks outside of medical use. The very sketchy advice is to wear ‘masks’ on public transport. These seem to be any bit of stretchy fabric with a pretty virtue-signalling pattern.

I’m still wondering why we are being asked to use bacterial gel - it’s a virus, so gel doesn’t kill it. Apparently it requires soap and running water.

The hotel I visited had a waiter wearing a visor, which is fine to prevent virus going directly on the eyes, but not much use if the virus gets inhaled.

starting strength coach development program
    Scientists claim this Virus could cause Brain Damage to infected patients.
    I foresee a Second Lockdown coming soon