starting strength gym
Page 475 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3754254654734744754764774855255759751475 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,750 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post

Also important: Swath of Oklahoma Falls Within Indian Reservation, Supreme Court Rules - WSJ
    Has anyone looked into what this means? Is the city of Tulsa no longer part of Oklahoma and the United States, or are they just implementing a dual tier justice system where state laws do not apply to Native Americans, but still apply to other peoples?
    Interesting, I read an analysis of how the ruling would impact imprisoned individuals that was enlightening for a non-lawyer:

Oklahoma's Suspect Argument in Front of the Supreme Court - The Atlantic

"the net impact of three years of inmates filing reservation claims would be a few dozen new trials.
    Asking who qualifies for federal habeas relief leaves out the question of who would want it in the first place. Winning a federal habeas petition does not get you out of prison. It gets you a new, federal trial—which could come with a new, federal sentence. While inmates are waiting for those things, they are simply transferred from state custody to federal. For many cases, especially drug-related crimes, federal sentencing can be harsher. Also, it’s unclear if time served on the state sentence would count toward a new federal sentence, which means that pursuing federal habeas relief actually risks adding years to your time behind bars."

Wokeness Comes To West Point | The American Conservative

An expose article from an anonymous graduate at West Point - describing an ultra-woke policy proposal which has been been put forward by the young woke cadets of the most recent cohort. These cadets, he says, are the cream of the crop, highest scorers and will be future generals.

Great article, worth a read. Horrifying, when you think about what it means for the future of our countries' security as this trend of fashionable intersectional theory continues to infect every nook and cranny. Somehow, I don't think this is going on in Chinese or Russian military academies.

Another reason to feel good about getting out, Hollis!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_V View Post
    Very true, the methods section is super important.

The study was designed to test the filtration of efficiency of varying aerosol sizes in different fabrics. In the lab setting they could systematically size select the droplets and assess filtration, which is pretty cool albeit necessarily uses an "in-vitro" method.

Two of the articles I previously linked were in-vivo, with human subjects.

Influenza Virus Aerosols in Human Exhaled Breath: Particle Size, Culturability, and Effect of Surgical Masks
    Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks | Nature Medicine

I get that USA today isn't exactly a paragon of journalism but the article quotes researchers with relevant expertise in airborne transmission like Dr Linsey Marr and Dr Lisa Brosseau. Maybe you disagree with their descriptions of filtration and transmission based on theory and empirical data, but the source of the quote seems irrelevant.
    You're not going to get much disagreement with me in terms of the superior (but not nearly enough) filtration capabilities of SURGICAL MASKS compared to cloth, as I have discussed elsewhere on this thread. The amount of SURGICAL MASKS being used in the general population is minescule compared to cloth. This is a clear problem for the mask elite. The Influenza study you linked to is a much better study but again, it is using surgical masks and no amount of lab simulation is going to capture the complexity of human respiration, transmission of disease and the variable of locomotion in real life.

That being said, surgical masks (no caps this time, hopefully you get it) are not enough. But again, whether any kind of mask gives you nominal protection is not the point.

...but the source of the quote seems irrelevant.
    Unfortunately, these days the source of the quote is paramount.

I'm done with the mask debate. If anyone has not researched and thought about this on their own, then their mind is made up and no amount of discussion is going to impact it. Have at it, but keep your mask handy in the future.

It used to be a free world, so pretend like it still is and wear your mask if you want.

Laredo will not allow on-campus instruction until at least September 4th.

Laredo health authorities mandate no on-campus instruction allowed - Laredo Morning Times

No extracurricular for the at least the entire month of September....meaning no football, band, cross country, cheerleading, FFA and other activities I can't think of right now. But, godsdammnit. Why? What is the reasoning? Apparently El Paso has followed suit.

Local order to delay start of football, fall sports - Laredo Morning Times

I just don't get it. I am absolutely baffled. I probably should not be any more. Ever feel like the world is out of sync?

sb

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPB View Post
    You certainly implied it with your deep dive into masks while admitting only for some it is a loyalty oath. When the truth is for very few it is not.
    For many it is not merely Loyalty to the order that has been recently imposed upon society -- that we have allowed to be imposed upon us. For many, witchcraft is perfectly plausible. Watch closely the behavior of people wearing masks: if you walk into a store or a 1/2-capacity restaurant with a piece of t-shirt material around your face and nose, and take it down to order or talk to somebody at your table, you are acknowledging that you believe in witchcraft. If you drive your minivan down the street by yourself with the windows rolled up and your mask on, you are practicing witchcraft. If you are running down the street with a mask on, ditto. The mask is a talisman. A rabbit's foot. A lucky coin. A St. Christopher, a crucifix, a Thor's Hammer, especially on a person under the age of 65 who is statistically prevented from dying of the Deadly COVID-19 Pandemic Virus. It is a signal that you are obeying, for some it's a symbol of intellectual or moral superiority, or a wall against social interaction which I respect by not talking to people with masks. I must confess that I often laugh at them openly, and I have yet to be confronted by a single one of them for doing so. They are Beta to us, and it is important to me to reinforce their chosen status for them. Public service, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    Another reason to feel good about getting out, Hollis!
    David was getting out. Hollis is already gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I'm curious to hear how it is in other places.
    It’s largely regional, kinda like in the States. The big thing in Europe these days is calling out other countries because people are not wearing enough masks or the restrictive measures are not restrictive enough, bullshit of that kind. Even in individual countries, the regions around the capital are gonna be more restrictive than others and so on.

The Serbian thing is pretty telling, as it sets a limit on how far governments can push this. Their government’s first response was to laugh the whole thing off, then they instituted a series of curfews, the longest of which lasted five days. They then reopened everything in time for elections, and started reporting unusually large numbers of cases following the elections. I suspect they are cooking the numbers upwards, probably so they can mooch some foreign aid. The government then announced it would impose new curfews, upon which the people just said fuck you and went to the streets. Four days on, the protests show no sign of subsiding. I guess you can only fuck with people for so long, and the Serbian government pushed it too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I must confess that I often laugh at them openly, and I have yet to be confronted by a single one of them for doing so.
    I have yet to laugh overtly, although inwardly to myself. I won't waste the energy for more than a smirk. The only response I have gotten from some so far is a fixed stare. Then again that could be from some of the ball caps I wear like the thin blue line, Keep America Great, I Got Your 6 (in black with a blue line), and the one with Deplorable embroidered on it. I've come to enjoy irritating those who need it.

For many it is not merely Loyalty to the order that has been recently imposed upon society -- that we have allowed to be imposed upon us. For many, witchcraft is perfectly plausible. Watch closely the behavior of people wearing masks: if you walk into a store or a 1/2-capacity restaurant with a piece of t-shirt material around your face and nose, and take it down to order or talk to somebody at your table, you are acknowledging that you believe in witchcraft. If you drive your minivan down the street by yourself with the windows rolled up and your mask on, you are practicing witchcraft. If you are running down the street with a mask on, ditto. The mask is a talisman. A rabbit's foot. A lucky coin. A St. Christopher, a crucifix, a Thor's Hammer, especially on a person under the age of 65 who is statistically prevented from dying of the Deadly COVID-19 Pandemic Virus. It is a signal that you are obeying, for some it's a symbol of intellectual or moral superiority, or a wall against social interaction which I respect by not talking to people with masks. I must confess that I often laugh at them openly, and I have yet to be confronted by a single one of them for doing so. They are Beta to us, and it is important to me to reinforce their chosen status for them. Public service, really.
    I agree with all of this. Here in Tampa, to go Publix for groceries, masks are required. To attend our church, masks are required. It sucks. Gym 'requires' it, but not in the weight room.

Funny anecdote... Yesterday, went to a restaurant. Mask required to walk in and use the restroom. Once we sat, masks not required. We went in, because the food is awesome there, but it was a randomly applied 'rule'.

starting strength coach development program
    David was getting out. Hollis is already gone.
    My brain is addled from either asymptomatic COVID-19 brain damage or more likely inhaling meltblown plastic from my mask on my commute to work for the last week. Apologies to you Mr. David A. Rowe. Nobody deserves to be a Hollis.