starting strength gym
Page 478 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3784284684764774784794804885285789781478 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,780 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    I had to google search this. Not sure on the federal level, but there seems to be a lot of case law supporting such a mandate (mandatory vaccinations have gone to the supreme court and were ruled constitutional).
    I think a national mask mandate would likely be unconstitutional on a federal level outside of obviously permissible cases--such as on federal property like VA hospitals and national parks. Commerce clause jurisprudence hasn't been very favorable to national mandates for the last three decades. Federal authorities can certainly recommend masks. The Fed can also condition money on the state adopting certain policies...this is why the legal drinking age is 21 in every state (federal highway funds are conditioned on it).

Conversely, I think a federal constitutional challenge to mask mandates is a fool's errand, aside from some narrow as-applied challenges.
    Health and safety regulations have always been the province of the states (see, e.g., Tenth Amendment), and thus the permissibility of any mask requirement will likely come down to state law, which will necessarily depend on the idiosyncrasies of that particular state. What does its constitution say? Has the legislature given the executive substantial emergency powers for things like pandemics, and if so what are the limitations of it? If the executive has such emergency powers, has s/he used the correct processes for imposing mask requirements? It's very likely that you could have two identical mask requirements, enacted through identical means, but it would be legally impermissible in one state but legally permissible in another.

Your horizontal federalist government at work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have not said you blathered. You are perhaps the most concise leftist on the board right now.
    I almost can’t comprehend that we are entertaining an idea that GS has any bearing on this discussion.

Alsbos, for a bit more context on how great GS is at making money, see 2008.

Assuming you were born before then...

I just wanted to post this gem of a correlational study. I'm not sure how stuff like this gets into PNAS (PNAS is a tough journal to get into, unless you're a member and grandfathered in). Anyways, my point is, if you believe the race IQ stuff, then you have to believe this study too...

Lower cognitive ability linked to non-compliance with social distancing guidelines during the coronavirus outbreak
    Granted I’m not a subscriber to PNAS, I cannot read this article. But it seems on face value to be an odd one for PNAS (disclosure: I am published in PNAS.)

It is a highly respected journal, but not immune to dumbassery:
    Formal request for the retraction of Zhang et al., 2020 | Meta-research Innovation Center at Stanford

You're right. After your reading your exciting post about fishing and spending 200$ towing a boat, I've decided that GoldmanSachs clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. They should replace their economists with fisherman.

Goldman Sachs has done the math and a national mask mandate to halt the spread of coronavirus would have a big impact on the U.S. economy - MarketWatch
    Goldman Sachs is talking out their ass. They come up with articles like this to keep all the hobby investors and office drones with 401Ks from cashing out and making a run on their mutual funds. Saying that GDP won't drop by 5% if everyone wears masks is so inane it's not even worth investigating how they came up with that number. The fact that you believe them proves why they even bother writing this garbage in the first place.

The world shut down for 2 and a half months. The damage is already done. I'm seeing more and more people begging on street corners when I drive around town. Rip is right, the masks are just witchcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    I almost can’t comprehend that we are entertaining an idea that GS has any bearing on this discussion.

Alsbos, for a bit more context on how great GS is at making money, see 2008.

Assuming you were born before then...
    Not sure what you mean. Paulson (the ex CEO of GS) and treasury sec to Bush, arranged a ~200 billion dollar bailout for AIG. AIG then gave 60 billon of that taxpayer money to GS to cover bets that GS made against the american economy. GS then claimed (10's of) billions in profit through out the financial crisis. And congressmen publicly lauded GS as a shining example of how a well run bank can make money even in the worst of times.

Just to summarize, GS made a 60 billion bet against america, got paid off by the american government, and then were publicly praised by numerous american senators for their american financial ingenuity. If that's not money making genius, what is in your opinion?

And, I should add that the current sec of treasury, appointed by DJT, is also a GS alumni of 20 years.

I assume/hope that most people know this story...

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Goldman Sachs is talking out their ass. They come up with articles like this to keep all the hobby investors and office drones with 401Ks from cashing out and making a run on their mutual funds. Saying that GDP won't drop by 5% if everyone wears masks is so inane it's not even worth investigating how they came up with that number. The fact that you believe them proves why they even bother writing this garbage in the first place.

The world shut down for 2 and a half months. The damage is already done. I'm seeing more and more people begging on street corners when I drive around town. Rip is right, the masks are just witchcraft.
    Yes, the post about spending 200$ and filling one's car up with gas was enlightening. But, imagine a scenario. Instead of shutting down the 'Arnold', imagine if the Governor insteadhad enacted a face mask requirement along with some physical distancing rules. Then the event would still occur. What the article by GS is saying isn't rocket science.

No one, in their right mind, is cashing out 401ks due to covid. And who knows how GS makes their money. They hedge a lot. They may have large bets against the american economy, as they have done in the past. They might make money when the market goes down. Who knows. They aren't vanguard. Neither you nor I have any idea what GS is up to.

Texas medical association has posted a risk chart for Covid 19. "Working out at the gym" is listed as high risk.

https://mobile.twitter.com/texmed/st...980096/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
    Even if Trump wins? I don't know. Flu deaths will peak again in early 2021. Why wouldn't Democrats and the media keep up the masks + social distancing + cancellation of events through it all?
    I was thinking this every thing the other day.

The issue is governors and county boards and such. But everyone is obsessed with politics at the Federal level.

But nobody cares about local government until it burns them. plus, why bother when you can vote for Federals that violate local rights, right?

From TX governor. Have not seen anything like these comments from home state of FLA.

https://twitter.com/mcpli/status/128...582625793?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Harshray Koladdy View Post
    Texas medical association has posted a risk chart for Covid 19. "Working out at the gym" is listed as high risk.

https://mobile.twitter.com/texmed/st...980096/photo/1
    Do you actually believe this? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    From TX governor. Have not seen anything like these comments from home state of FLA.

https://twitter.com/mcpli/status/128...582625793?s=19
    Apparently Greg has been talking to Big Gretchen. On Thursday, 105 people in Texas "died of COVID-19" in a state of 30 million people, actually a bullshit number due to the games being played with death coding, for a daily death rate of 0.0003% of the population. About 200,000 people died in Texas in 2019, 548/day, for a daily death rate of 0.0019% of the population. With 105 being the highest daily death count so far -- about 20% of the daily total -- it's still an insignificant number in a state of 30 million people.

And yet this moron is publicly threatening to shut down the economy of Texas again, "if people keep flouting his new statewide mask mandate".
    If it goes to 500 a day, it will still be an insignificant number of people against this catastrophically idiotic response. Politicians don't like being ignored, and fear is a powerful tool. But people don't like having their lives completely disrupted over what is obviously not a serious public heath problem. Covid is an excuse, and a lot of us thought better of Abbott than this. We will remember this shit in 2022. And we may very well ignore what he comes up with tomorrow, if it is a statewide lockdown.

starting strength coach development program
    What a thread!

I wait with baited breath to see whether any of these oh-so-confident opinions re: the silliness of Covid-19 are moderated when people you know start dying. (For e.g. in Arizona, Florida or Texas. Hospitalizations are what matter and the data is clear: The COVID Tracking Project | The COVID Tracking Project)