starting strength gym
Page 479 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3794294694774784794804814895295799791479 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,790 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    The world shut down for 2 and a half months. The damage is already done.
    Funnily enough, there has been much less damage than believed pretty much anywhere other than the US, and I suspect this is largely to do with the election year and both parties waiting to get to power in order to launch a stimulus plan.
    The crisis is not even close to 2008 for the rest of the world, because nobody other than the US is pretending to be in short money supply now that facing up to reality would lead to immediate bank nationalization all over anywhere but China. So it's a reverse 2008. Let's see how long the US is gonna be pretending to be doing austerity after the elections.

Quote Originally Posted by nykid View Post
    I wait with baited breath to see whether any of these oh-so-confident opinions re: the silliness of Covid-19 are moderated when people you know start dying. (For e.g. in Arizona, Florida or Texas. Hospitalizations are what matter and the data is clear: The COVID Tracking Project | The COVID Tracking Project)
    Share with us your reasoning on why hospitalizations are what matters. This may be more difficult that merely pasting a link into the response.

Oh, another “just wear a mask” person. Let’s just all wear masks for the next year, stay exactly 6’ away (not an inch closer), and participate in all contact tracing initiatives and together we will rid the world of ALL viruses, ALL disease, and ALL death.

In other news anti-lockdown protestors are racist and pro Black Lives Matter (as an organization) protestors are immune from Covid-19. That was actually a story in today’s Chicago Tribune.

Everyone hold on tight. Postmodernism is sweeping the Nation.

What a thread!

I wait with baited breath to see whether any of these oh-so-confident opinions re: the silliness of Covid-19 are moderated when people you know start dying. (For e.g. in Arizona, Florida or Texas. Hospitalizations are what matter and the data is clear: The COVID Tracking Project | The COVID Tracking Project)
    In other words, Damocles Sword?

I know a guy. He makes furniture in Indiana. Business is booming, surprisingly, and particularly surprising at this time of year. (People must've been sitting around at home pondering their tawdry furnishings.) His shop has been back to work for a while. Their C19 measures include extra cleaning, not sure what-else. But no mask mandate. A few wear one, majority don't, and there's no argument either way. One of his employees has a brother (60+ y.o.) who got Covid. He is not doing well and appears to in his last days. There is no uproar from the brother-employee or others nearby to either shutdown this business or mandate masks.

I don't think there's much question about the potential nastiness of COVID. Opinions diverge quickly after that.

What a thread!

SARS-COV-2 saved my grandmother-in-law's life. She was screened for comorbidities when she tested positive after one my wife's cousins, recently released from jail, spread it to her family. Because they couldn't test them.

It was discovered her heart was on the verge of failing, and they told her she had a 90% of dying from heart failure in the next two months regardless of the virus. She went into surgery immediately, and has since made a full recovery. Oh, and so did everyone else in the family. Including her father who has COPD and just recovered from lung cancer.

It's fucking July. How long is the period where I know anyone, at all, who dies from the virus where I must present myself in front of you, clothed in sackcloth and face covered in ash, and scream "Mea maxima culpa!" before facing the divine punishment of The Mob?

Why don't you just stay home and invest in as many pet cats as you can fit in your home-sanctuary? You can leave the Apocalypse to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Per earlier ruminations, COVID is being used as the crack-in-the-universe through which higher life might emerge.

Share with us your reasoning on why hospitalizations are what matters. This may be more difficult that merely pasting a link into the response.
    With posters like this one, all over the world, I don’t think it even has anything to do with the virus anymore. I suppose some of them may be hypochondriacs, or have a financial interest in the panic, but I think the main reason is that they see how a large number of people are gonna have a lot of fun for the next three or four years, and it’s a party they are not invited to that thus needs to be stopped at any cost. They can stop it physically only for the remainder of 2020, but they are astroturfing to make you feel guilty in 2021 and on. What they fail to take into account is that guilty pleasures are the best.

YouTube

If you're waiting around wondering when to put cash back in the market, here's an interview with Gary Schilling. He's thinking a second drop in the market when investors realize how long the recovery is going to take.

starting strength coach development program
    NPR this past few days seems to be concentrating on academe and how some of the spokesholes for it are waking up to the reality of having backed the wrong horse in the Kung Flu derby. While the Ivy's are threatening to sue over not granting visas to foreign students for online classes in CONUS, others are hand wringing about in-person instruction limits and what it will mean to their continued existence. Also, this morning there was a feature on the impact of all of this on the economies of the college towns who rely on students returning in person for rentals and sales.

They and NPR can't seem to bridge the gap between existence and following the settled dem "science(!)".