starting strength gym
Page 484 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3844344744824834844854864945345849841484 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,840 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Anyone looked at this recently:

Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

They added a new column to Table 1 - "Percent of Expected Deaths"

Very interesting, given the surge/spike/out-of-control increase/second wave/etc. of cases.

Also, just curious (totally unrelated) - did Governor Cuomo ever get the 30,000 ventilators he so desperately needed?
    That table still gives a very different impression than the media. Should the public be trusted with such easily accessed data?

It was obviously a mistake to publish this.

Woodside, CA (aka The San Francisco Bay Area or as I like to call it, the belly of the beast)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Like Fauci and the Scarf Queen.
    Always cracks me up when people make an appeal to authority argument. I like the following jokes that apply in this situation.

Do you know what you call someone who graduates last in their class in medical school?

Doctor.

Do you know that 50% of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class?

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    The news media is essentially high school gossip writ large, and it works on almost the exact same demegraphic of people who cared about it back in high school

Do you have any good resources/books on this type 9f stuff? I've just started reading up on the Fed, fractional reserve banking, etc in the last few months so I'm still wrapping my head around what's all going on behind the scenes in the monetary world. I agree though. From what I've dug up so far, the Fed et al have a much bigger influence on the way countries run than most people realize.

These people seem to have no concept of the fact that there are just as many "experts" who disagree with everything the media has been pushing this entire time.

In 200 years, I think people will look back and realize that the internet has had the same effect on destroying the authority of "the press" that the printing press had in destroying the authority of the Roman Catholic Church for a lot of Europeans.

Once they could read the Bible for themselves and saw all the shenanigans the RCC was up to, all sorts of stuff happened. The Holy Roman Empire fractured, Germany was divided, England started its own church, etc. Interesting to see how things fracture once people are able to read the information and come to their own conclusions.
    It was the greed of the Borgia Popes that gave impetus to the Reformation. Selling Indulgences (get out of Purgatory sooner like carbon credits) pissed off enough Germans, thanks of Cardinal Tetzel, that when Luther got antsy, he got the support of enough of the nobility to stay off the rack.

The printing press simply gave the Reformation the information and distribution channel to collect enough adherents that they couldn't be wiped out like the Albigensians did.

Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    Mark, it gets hard to take you seriously on things like this, because when your conspiracy theories run headlong into the observations of people who actually have experience in these areas, you dismiss them. And then you mostly sound like the very people you hold in such contempt.
    Do you think throwing around the phrase “conspiracy theory” gives you some sort of rhetorical and/or moral high ground? Particularly given its providence?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The note on calculation shows it is meaningless in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Yes to all you wrote. There is one final important question to ask of the experts.

If this communicable disease situation warrants this response, what similar or lesser situation does not warrant this response? If they can't specifically answer this quantitatively, they are frauds.
    Very good Barry.

An argument can be made for a flu-season mask law. It would demonstrably save many lives, if masks are as effective as claimed.

I’m up for the experiment. Statistical significance would take up to a decade. Ten flu seasons to roughly increase the SNR by ~ 3 (root 10).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Perhaps there’d be a more uniform response if there was more uniform reporting. Cannot the news agencies simply self-organize and agree to directly link to that top level CDC data and couch their reporting in terms of it? Either in terms of decreases or potential increases? Add an arbitrary # of caveats. Say “that data does not yet include *our* data” or somesuch.

A baseline, a touchstone, a common figure-of-merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    The note on calculation shows it is meaningless in the short term.
    Yes, 1 to 8 weeks?

I’d like to see a time-lapse presentation of that chart, to see how the entire profile changes with each update.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Do you think throwing around the phrase “conspiracy theory” gives you some sort of rhetorical and/or moral high ground? Particularly given its providence?
    No, Satch, I don’t. And I’m sorry for triggering you.