starting strength gym
Page 485 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3854354754834844854864874955355859851485 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,850 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    It was the greed of the Borgia Popes that gave impetus to the Reformation. Selling Indulgences (get out of Purgatory sooner like carbon credits) pissed off enough Germans, thanks of Cardinal Tetzel, that when Luther got antsy, he got the support of enough of the nobility to stay off the rack.

The printing press simply gave the Reformation the information and distribution channel to collect enough adherents that they couldn't be wiped out like the Albigensians did.
    Ha, good point about carbon credits/indulgences. It's interesting to see how history repeats itself.

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    I don't know what 'scientism' means to you, but it sounds bad.

The work product of most scientists is not a prediction, but instead a 'product' that has market value. For instance, material chemists invented non-stick teflon and I assume the material that covers stealth bombers. These are tangible products that have value. The only scientists who produce things that don't have market value are going to be in academics and sometimes the government (for obvious reasons).

Of course, data scientists at places like google make predictions (for sales and other reasons), but again this work product has real market value.
    No. The product of scientists is the prediction. They demonstrate that Teflon will be produced via "x" process and that it will perform in "y" manner. That is the science of it. The product is then made by manufacturers based upon those verified predictions. The scientist never produce the actual product.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsquared1969 View Post
    Always cracks me up when people make an appeal to authority argument. I like the following jokes that apply in this situation.

Do you know what you call someone who graduates last in their class in medical school?

Doctor.

Do you know that 50% of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class?
    We should have a thread of just stupid shit doctors have said that a person would never expect a doctor to be ignorant of.

I remember a doctor telling my wife and about how important the yolk of eggs were for our child due to all the protein that they provide. Yolks do provide some great nutritional value, but they are a horrible source of protein. It is almost entirely to be found in the whites.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Do you think throwing around the phrase “conspiracy theory” gives you some sort of rhetorical and/or moral high ground? Particularly given its providence?
    I think that we have low balled the level of conspiracy compered to the amount that has been clearly demonstrated to exist over the last few years.

It's almost to where I feel like I owe an apology to Alex Jones. He just seems eccentric now.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Perhaps there’d be a more uniform response if there was more uniform reporting. Cannot the news agencies simply self-organize and agree to directly link to that top level CDC data and couch their reporting in terms of it? Either in terms of decreases or potential increases? Add an arbitrary # of caveats. Say “that data does not yet include *our* data” or somesuch.

A baseline, a touchstone, a common figure-of-merit.
    You seem to believe they are interested in reporting the facts for the sake of truth or something quaint like that.

The "news" is largely an eyeball grabbing venture to sell ad space. Occasionally, it drifts into pure agenda driven propaganda, but even that is largely working for further selling of ad space.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Yes, 1 to 8 weeks?

I’d like to see a time-lapse presentation of that chart, to see how the entire profile changes with each update.
    But even worse, the time lag means it is only useful In hindsight - i.e. Only the August numbers can be trusted for an election in Nov, and this appears to be one of the major election issues.

Also no indication of how much variation is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    The news media is essentially high school gossip writ large, and it works on almost the exact same demegraphic of people who cared about it back in high school

Do you have any good resources/books on this type 9f stuff? I've just started reading up on the Fed, fractional reserve banking, etc in the last few months so I'm still wrapping my head around what's all going on behind the scenes in the monetary world. I agree though. From what I've dug up so far, the Fed et al have a much bigger influence on the way countries run than most people realize.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but here's a good article on MMT: MMT: Not Modern, Not Monetary, Not a Theory | Mises Institute. Here's a great quick intro to the Fed. It's a short audio book (free), but I'm sure you can find a pdf, if you want to read it: What Has Government Done to Our Money? | Mises Institute

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    But even worse, the time lag means it is only useful In hindsight - i.e. Only the August numbers can be trusted for an election in Nov, and this appears to be one of the major election issues.

Also no indication of how much variation is normal.
    Estimate of variation could easily be extracted from historical data. A simple db schema could track all of this raw data easily, in a tiny volume.

Update from Queensland Australia
    If you refuse to take a COVID test when directed to you could be up for $4000 fine 6 months jail time.
    WTF

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    You seem to believe they are interested in reporting the facts for the sake of truth or something quaint like that.
    I'm a dreamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's fair.
    Just wanted to say that I truly appreciate this. Not because I agree or disagree with the statement you were responding to but precisely because I don't agree or disagree with every single thing any single person has said on this thread since I started following it back in March or April. I think it's important that critiques don't get squelched. It's precisely because of that, that I don't believe we're sitting in our own echo chamber. If we were, then critiques like this would just disappear.

Haven't posted this in a while: COVID-19: Data Summary - NYC Health

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Do you have any good resources/books on this type 9f stuff? I've just started reading up on the Fed, fractional reserve banking, etc in the last few months so I'm still wrapping my head around what's all going on behind the scenes in the monetary world. I agree though. From what I've dug up so far, the Fed et al have a much bigger influence on the way countries run than most people realize.
    Try Michael Hudson, Superimperialism and Global Fracture, this is the best resource on how the world moved from the gold standard to the Treasury bill standard. Dunno, I've worked as a journalist during the 2008 recession, so I kinda know what to look for. Bottom line - the Fed is not your friend. They are Goldman Sach's friend, but not yours. The central banks are running the world, and pretty badly.