starting strength gym
Page 486 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3864364764844854864874884965365869861486 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,860 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    You really have no idea about science and scientists, do you?
    Why would companies employ people who don't provide value?

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    No. The product of scientists is the prediction. They demonstrate that Teflon will be produced via "x" process and that it will perform in "y" manner. That is the science of it. The product is then made by manufacturers based upon those verified predictions. The scientist never produce the actual product.
    Completely and absolutely incorrect. 100% wrong. Scientists DO NOT MAKE PREDICTIONS for a living. At least the vast majority don't. They design experiments to prove a hypothesis and then conduct the experiment and interpret the results. So yes, the first teflon was synthesized by a team, and then tested in a lab by another team (or perhaps the same team). This was done in an iterative fashion over and over, till the results were promising enough to proceed to the next step. The chemist makes the material in the lab, with their own hands. This is how all wet-lab research on the planet earth is done, and is the very basis of science. Nothing goes to a 'manufacturer' until years of testing have been done (depending up on the product). I run a research group, I know how this is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What would it take for Governor Newsome to ban the sale of tobacco?
    yep

if there was only a way to tax COVID19 infections

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Just wanted to say that I truly appreciate this. Not because I agree or disagree with the statement you were responding to but precisely because I don't agree or disagree with every single thing any single person has said on this thread since I started following it back in March or April. I think it's important that critiques don't get squelched. It's precisely because of that, that I don't believe we're sitting in our own echo chamber. If we were, then critiques like this would just disappear.
    If I was to respond with "That's fair" to BMueller's comment, it would have been sarcasm. Mark asked a reasonable question of an experienced doctor. He certainly wasn't dismissing him. He uses the loaded term "conspiracy theories" as if that's an argument against any theories or facts Mark has given. When Mark has held people "in such contempt" (not Mark's words) it is after providing much reason and evidence, which has been ignored by such persons. BMueller says Mark sounds just like them, and that's fair?

Maybe Mark is less prone to sarcasm than I, but I don't think the comment was anywhere close to fair.

With that being said, I agree with your overall sentiment that "it's important that critiques don't get squelched", and we're not "sitting
    in our own echo chamber". I just didn't want to give BMueller a pass with his unfair comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    The note on calculation shows it is meaningless in the short term.
    I'm honestly not sure it's meaningless. I read the note and even the report the note referenced, and it's not clear to me exactly what is delayed. If the death certificate is delayed by 13 weeks because the cause of death is still under investigation, is the death itself (which is fairly easy to verify) still reported and counted?

Haven't posted this in a while: COVID-19: Data Summary - NYC Health
    NYC marks first day since pandemic started with no COVID deaths: de Blasio

But now you have to wear a mask all the time, indoors or outside, whether you're six feet from another person or not...

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    I really have to ask this: How old are you, alsbos?

I run a research group, I know how this is done.
    I see. You run a very young and naive research group.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    if there was only a way to tax COVID19 infections
    Well, the federal government is paying for cases and hospitalizations, so there's some money!

And here's a good explanation for the general public's current behavior: Bruce Charlton's Notions: Epidemic phobic avoidance

And here's a good explanation for the general public's current behavior: Bruce Charlton's Notions: Epidemic phobic avoidance
    In a similar vein, a Briggs update:

Coronavirus Update XXII: Mask Madness – William M. Briggs

My initial problem with what you were saying was the use of the term "market value." Now its "value" and I agree with that, though not the former.

There is a critical difference, so which is it?

Well, well, well. But Florida is a vast wasteland of dead bodies!

Prepare not to hear about his on MSM.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fo...ovid-19-report

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    How do you know that they are experts? Do you even know how they came to their conclusions? What about the people that disagree with them?

The comparison to trusting that Rip is an expert actually demonstrates why these other folks deserve skepticism.

Rip:

1-Presented an actual rationale for his theories in the SS book and the thousands of other sources he has put out here and on video and in seminars.
    2-Gave you a testable and falsifiable theory and the protocol to do so, which I assume worked for you and thus verified his theory.
    3-Has run his "experiment" with thousands of clients either directly or through someone who used his theory, which further verified his conclusions.

On top of this, Rip has given us access to a lot more of his thinking and education in general to demonstrate whether or not he is a reasonable and honest person in general.

This may not make him an expert per se and certainly not an expert in anything more than the contents of SS, but he has earned your trust through measurable means when it comes to how to get noobs stronger fast, right?

I see no resemblance to this and how you are measuring the expertise of these other folks:

- Total strangers and thus no means to know their driving motivations.
    - An education that you likely have next to zero idea of the contents of.
    - An association that that you likely have next to zero idea of the qualifications for.
    - A business/patient history that you likely have next to zero idea of the success rate of.
    - Presenting a theory entirely without reference to the rationale or the data that the rationale is based upon and that is contradicted by other people who claim the same expertise.
    I agree Rip has done all the aforementioned things to convince me of his expertise. However even he realized he is one man and he can't coach the entire world all by himself. So guess what he did, he came up with the Starting Strength Coach certification. Now not all coaches other than Rip, can feasibly present a body of work as Rip did, or have their own books or present the database of having coached thousands of clients. So they get the Starting Strength certification. The certification tells people like you and me that the coach is an expert in the methodology of Starting Strength. This is exactly the concept of getting a degree in any field. The degree in medicine tells the general public that the concerned person is a qualified doctor and hence the expert.

starting strength coach development program
    Given the current "save Fauci" kerfuffle in progress, I thought back once again to his last miserable set of failures, the AIDS/HIV crisis. He was roundly criticized then for misunderestimating and grossly overestimating the spread of this through the heterosexual population. I clearly recall a SoCal local T station breathless news teaser voiced by a woman, "I like sex, bit I won't die for it." Sound familiar these days.

Then too, I recalled how AIDS/HIV got politicized like the Kung Flu. And why? Because Reagan was President and he, like the current REPUBLICAN President didn't care about gay people.

History repeats itself once again.