starting strength gym
Page 489 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3894394794874884894904914995395899891489 ... LastLast
Results 4,881 to 4,890 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

What is going to happen when Texas, Florida, Arizona, S.Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas all get to as high or higher cases per captia than New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massasschuttes

but they wind up having substantially lower deaths per captia (around 1/2 to 1/4 the death/captia) ?

What will be the narrative then?

All, has there been a consensus if the virus was man made or not? Please post a link if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    You cannot patent a prediction.
    No, but you might be able to do so for a process by which a prediction can be made.

We're so close to getting there. A 'product' is anything with value on the free market. For instance, a patent. What the scientists create with an idea, followed by reduction to practice, is the patent (or a trade secret). This is the 'product' created by the scientist. The patent or trade secrets can then be sold. That is the value directly created by the scientist, the patent.
    This is very confused and incorrect. A “product” is not “anything with value on the free market.” A “product” is the result of the cooperative use of economic goods, either consumer goods, producer goods, or some combination of both. Goods are means that satisfy man’s wants. Economic goods may be physical or they may be services. Producer goods or high-order goods may be purely raw materials used to create lower-order consumer goods. They may also be the means by which high-order goods are transformed into low-order goods. Value on the market has nothing to do with it.

A “patent” is not a “product” per se. A patent is a grant of monopoly privilege by a government. They are a means by which competition on the market is limited. It is not necessarily the result of production; see the so-called “patent troll” phenomenon. Patents, typically understood, are not market phenomena, requiring the property rights-violating power of the State to enforce.

“Trade secrets” are not patents. They are something held confidential by a firm that gives them a competitive advantage. According to United States law, trade secrets are things not novel enough to justify a patent, nor original enough to be protected by copyright. There is primarily State-level legal protection for trade secrets usually some kind of damages claim for “misappropriations” as disclosure of the secret will destroy it.

A patent does not have value because of its content; it has value because it can be used against another party, see patent-trolls.

Patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets are confusing and complicated. Lots of people get them wrong. I recommend Stephan Kinsella’s “Against Intellectual Property” for a thorough treatment.

Value is, of course, subjective. Further, a good on the market is something that satisfies an actor’s needs. Values cannot be equated between actors. A patent is not a guarantee of value; in fact, the opposite tends to be true. The point of patent filings, commonly understood in the United States, is to disclose. In that way, competitors are found out for trying to violate the patent.

You cannot patent a prediction.

We're so close to getting there. A 'product' is anything with value on the free market. For instance, a patent. What the scientists create with an idea, followed by reduction to practice, is the patent (or a trade secret). This is the 'product' created by the scientist. The patent or trade secrets can then be sold. That is the value directly created by the scientist, the patent.
    Either you are not expressing yourself coherently or you’re talking out of your ass. I’m not sure which, but I’m getting there.

A product is a product. It may or may not have value on the free market. Value is complicated and not as simply defined as you are saying.

There are a metric shit ton of patents in the biological sciences (Chimeric molecules and methods of their creation in molecular biology and biochemistry for one) that are not on the market and earn zero revenue.

They are still “products” by your definition. I do not agree but...

I think I am understanding where you are coming from but I think you are looking at science through the narrow view of your experience. Your choice of the Teflon example leads me to this assumption.

So what area of research are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Mark,

What is going to happen when Texas, Florida, Arizona, S.Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas all get to as high or higher cases per captia than New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massasschuttes

but they wind up having substantially lower deaths per captia (around 1/2 to 1/4 the death/captia) ?

What will be the narrative then?
    I can't wait for your explanation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Either you are not expressing yourself coherently or you’re talking out of your ass. I’m not sure which, but I’m getting there.
    Remember, alsbos is the guy who said:

Why would companies employ people who don't provide value?
    Because the Government makes them do so, my child. Every large company has people on the payroll that everybody wishes would drop dead, because it's mandated by the fucking government.

But this guy is quite a bit sharper than our friend alsbos: What's really going on this year? Jeremy Elliott The Iconic Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I can already tell you, working in what was "oMg ThE nEw HoT sPoT" last week... absolutely nothing. Nothing happened. Everyone (~80% in public) has been safely huddled behind their masks, and no one noticed a difference from the week before that. Some few have starting asking, "Wait... what?" But we're a long ways off from people accepting that this whole thing has been bullshit. If they ever do.

Honestly, it's hard to see any worth beating the vague shape of what was once a horse in to the ground further. Beyond people truly interested in economics, virology and epidemiology, no one actually cares about learning something useful from this. The general population just wants to get back to pushing their respective dopamine release buttons.

We're just waiting on the next bad thing to be distorted and amplified by the media to everyone's chagrin.

My prediction? Something completely different, Monty Python style. The current story line lost coherence months ago. They won't even try to wrap it up. They'll just whip up more riots or impeach Trump again or something. These people don't have a very complicated playbook.

Remember, alsbos is the guy who said:

Because the Government makes them do so, my child. Every large company has people on the payroll that everybody wishes would drop dead, because it's mandated by the fucking government.

But this guy is quite a bit sharper than our friend alsbos: What'''s really going on this year? Jeremy Elliott The Iconic Podcast
    That podcast was really spot on. I became ambivalent with his view on AI/facial recognition stuff as I have not decided if it’s a driving factor of this shit show or just a massive opportunity (which then becomes a driving factor.) but, alas, logic has no place here, now.

On the bright side, I saw a Seattle metro bus wrapped with a message and a hotline for reporting bias. Nothing could go wrong there.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    All, has there been a consensus if the virus was man made or not? Please post a link if possible.
    No consensus. But I have seen enough that I am convinced.