starting strength gym
Page 493 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3934434834914924934944955035435939931493 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,930 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanNewell View Post
    I spend the vast bulk of my time in the lab trying to do experiments which don't work, being annoyed about it, and drinking too much coffee. I have failed you alsbos, and I am sorry.
    haha yes, this is the most accurate assessment of it I've seen!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    All I know is that this is not about masks or a virus, and that government power has never once in the history of the world expanded worldwide to the extent it has over the past 4 months.
    That is a statement. Really hope you will follow this with some analysis to back it up -- or some links to some analysis. Just off the top, the total social-economic mobilizations for WWI and II and the surveillance state backed up by lethal force and justified by the existential threat of nuclear armageddon seem like examples that it will be hard to show that the response to Covid-19 has topped. Didn't governments respond similarly to the 1918 flu pandemic? I hope I am not sounding like I think I am winning an argument, here, but I am very interested to understand what lies behind the above statement.

Austin sees ‘glimmer of hope’ as virus hospitalizations plateau - News - Austin American-Statesman - Austin, TX

Austin Public Health officials on Tuesday issued emergency rules for individuals, construction sites and other work venues that could result in civil lawsuits or fines of up to $2,000 for those who refuse adhere to local orders to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

According to the order, which will remain in place until Nov. 12, people over age 10 are required to wear face coverings when outside of their homes, keep six feet of distance between themselves and others and avoid gathering in groups of 10 or more. The new rules also require anyone waiting on COVID-19 test results to isolate along with their entire household until cleared by health officials.

The new rules require work sites to mandate face coverings for employees, to clean and disinfect commonly touched areas twice a day and keep employees from gathering in groups larger than 10 unless separated by a physical barrier. Job sites also are required to conduct general health screenings on each worker before they begin a shift, keep toilets clean and sanitary, require hand-washing and provide single-use, touch-free trash receptacles.

Construction sites are further required to keep logs of who enters a job site, designate a COVID-19 safety monitor, prohibit community water coolers and stagger shifts so no more than 10 workers are present at a site at a given time.

Individuals who break the rules can be fined up to $2,000. Work sites that violate them could be deemed a public health nuisance and sued in civil court.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    Didn't governments respond similarly to the 1918 flu pandemic?
    No, they didn't. Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenDonut View Post
    Austin sees ‘glimmer of hope’ as virus hospitalizations plateau - News - Austin American-Statesman - Austin, TX

Austin Public Health officials on Tuesday issued emergency rules for individuals, construction sites and other work venues that could result in civil lawsuits or fines of up to $2,000 for those who refuse adhere to local orders to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

According to the order, which will remain in place until Nov. 12, people over age 10 are required to wear face coverings when outside of their homes, keep six feet of distance between themselves and others and avoid gathering in groups of 10 or more. The new rules also require anyone waiting on COVID-19 test results to isolate along with their entire household until cleared by health officials.

The new rules require work sites to mandate face coverings for employees, to clean and disinfect commonly touched areas twice a day and keep employees from gathering in groups larger than 10 unless separated by a physical barrier. Job sites also are required to conduct general health screenings on each worker before they begin a shift, keep toilets clean and sanitary, require hand-washing and provide single-use, touch-free trash receptacles.

Construction sites are further required to keep logs of who enters a job site, designate a COVID-19 safety monitor, prohibit community water coolers and stagger shifts so no more than 10 workers are present at a site at a given time.

Individuals who break the rules can be fined up to $2,000. Work sites that violate them could be deemed a public health nuisance and sued in civil court.
    Don't move to Austin. You're essentially moving to California.

According to the order, which will remain in place until Nov. 12
    Covers the election and the forthcoming riots. Much lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Covers the election and the forthcoming riots. Much lulz.
    I mean, they are not even hiding it now. BOLD MOVE!

For those that still believe the "experts" on what we need to do (wear masks, avoid large gatherings, etc.). Here is a WHO report from 2019, on non-pharmaceutical interventions for pandemic management. Some highlights from the summary (p. 99):

Personal hygiene measures such as hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and face masks are widely used as non-pharmaceutical intervention measures to reduce the risk of acquiring or spreading respiratory infections, and for mitigating pandemic influenza. However, our review identified a lack of compelling evidence for the effectiveness of hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and face masks against influenza transmission in the community. There are still gaps in the evidence base which further research would help to fill.

Ten RCTs were included in meta-analysis, and there was no evidence that face masks are effective in reducing transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

Avoiding crowding including separating people into small groups or cancelling public gatherings is an effective intervention to prevent the spread of influenza. However, the effects of measures to avoid crowding in reducing transmission is uncertain.

All of the interventions that are now necessary and mandatory in these difficult tiems, were thought to be completely ineffective merely one year ago (!).

Makes sense, doesn't it? Biology is very different in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, they didn't. Not at all.
    But 1918 is EXACTLY like 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I am still betting they will try to hit the environmentalism angle. Now that the BLM terrorism is devolving into the deeply unpopular reparations demands, they need a new disaster.

Town in North Carolina approves reparations for Black residents
    Mayors back reparations that could cost $6.2 quadrillion, or $151M per descendant

Do we remember the Australian fires of last year? The majority of the fires were suspected to be caused by arson, however the media pushed climate change as the reason.
    What is the likelihood that we also see a huge spike in oil and gas prices before the election
    I'd forgotten about the climate. It was so important pre-covid, but now I guess it hasn't been for a while. They'll probably try to spin something about how global temperature increase is a significant contributer to the viruses rapid spread. I can't wait.

This shit is insane. Expect the cost of construction labor to start to rise even faster. I used to do electrical in the leukemia ward of a children's hospital and even then we didn't have to jump through these kinds of hoops.

As an aside, what ever happened to this thing being so much more infectious than the flu? My brother spent the whole morning with my family inside their house the day before he came down with symptoms and tested positive, and they all tested negative and never had anything come of it. Have their been any studies on rate of infection, or has the mob conveniently forgotten about that part of the hysteria?

starting strength coach development program
    Things I’ve been thinking about here in the once great city of Seattle...

If I tape toilet paper over my nose and mouth the mindless drones here will view me as in compliance. Appearance is everything.

If I refuse anything, all I’ll get (except for anomalous circumstances) is passive-aggressive looks. Seattle is famous for being non-confrontational. Unless I accidentally wander into an ANTIFA riot.

I wonder if anyone realizes the amount of lawsuits that are going to [possibly] cripple our system, both criminal and civil, when this is all said and done. But then again, I’d love to know how many people across the country are being cited and fined for non-compliance by their respective governors....