starting strength gym
Page 496 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3964464864944954964974985065465969961496 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,960 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have a medical reason for not wearing a mask. HIPAA regulations prevent me being asked what it is. So, there you go.
    My county in Florida has the same exemption. I got nothing but arguments when I tried to use it at my local Walmart a few days ago. Unfortunately (for my need of the moment), I was armed. Otherwise I would have made the security either physically remove me or let me go. I suggested he call the manager, the police or the health department, but he was showing interest in a physical confrontation instead. Probably should have called them myself, but I was short on time.

He informed me that he had denied about 40 others that day. I hope that there's a class action suit soon.

I may even head back with a copy of the order just for spite.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Just a rant:
    I remember that stupid fuck, Fauci, standing up and telling everyone they didn’t need to wear masks. That they didn’t help. That medical workers needed them. I think it was back in March.

Our surgeon general said he was wrong back then and that we've learned so much more now.

"It's important for people to understand that once upon a time, we prescribed cigarettes for asthmatics and leeches and cocaine and heroin for people as medical treatments. When we learned better, we do better..."

He said we're supposed to listen to him now, though. You know, the guy who self-admittedly was telling us to do things that are the equivalent of using leeches and cigarettes for medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Things I’ve been thinking about here in the once great city of Seattle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
    We're all in California now.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    How does slowing it down expedite it’s end?
    You are not allowed to ask these questions, comrade. Trust us. We are the experts and it is for your own good.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Ok, before I get a ration of shit for this post, let me say that after submitting it I spend a little more time with the WHO paper and realized that I had also misinterpreted it a bit.

They found the evidence “moderate” that masks and handwashing didn’t help, not that they did.

I stand by my conclusions from the post above, however, based on my reading of their analysis, but I would admit that the evidence is even weaker than it seemed to me when I wrote it. My reading is that it is likely that masks and handwashing have some benefit. We can get into the specifics if anyone cares.
    Some benefit to what though? Prolonging the inevitable? Preventing the unpreventable? We have been at this for months with the masks and it has not stopped the virus from spreading. Is it not time to throw in the towel? The hospitals are not overwhelmed. The curve has been flattened right? It will be interesting to see what happens if they don't extend the unemployment past 7/31 and MLB and NBA come back

This does have a clear answer - the percentage of the population that has to have immunity (which hopefully follows infection) depends on the replication rate of the virus (see background info here: “When will it be over?”: An introduction to viral reproduction numbers, R0 and Re - CEBM). The base replication rate of covid-19 is something like 2-3, which means around 50-60% of the population has to be infected before it will die out, but with the controls adopted in the US it's dropped to more like 0.9-1.1, which only requires single digit population immunity to be over.

I appreciate this post may go against the serious nature of this thread, but hopefully this might give you just a little bit of a laugh in these trying times. Granted, the jokes are from an Australian point of view. Rip, perhaps get Ray Gillenwater to 'translate' for you. He gets us Aussies!

I can't tell you how many times I've trotted out the line 'What's the current status of the braindead cockheads?' since I've watched this. It seems fitting when discussing all of these mind boggling decisions our politicians are making.

From the filmmaker: 'Have a much needed laugh with our new satirical dark comedy, STAY HOME STAY SAFE �� focusing on the importance of self isolation and how politicians are dealing with COVID-19' STAY HOME STAY SAFE (Covid-19 Dark Comedy) - YouTube

Andrew Cuomo said you can not be served a drink in a bar or restaurant unless you order food. Not, food has to be available, which was always the rule...YOU MUST ORDER OFF THE MENU. Communism at its finest. If I owned a bar I would put one (1) French Fry on the menu for 1 cent.

In the real world, after his caused COVID nursing home travesty, this guy shouldn't have one single thread of credibility remaining. To any common sensical thinking citizen, EVERYTHING he says or mandates subsequent to this moronic debacle should now be questioned and ignored until proven valid.

And speaking of his nursing home debacle, couple it with his subsequent pathetic little pussy attempts to place the blame anywhere and everywhere but where it belongs when it came time for accountability. He has no answers.....so he lies. So telling of what an imbecilic power hungry coward the guy truly is. He can only exist in this self inflicted one party ruled dysfunctional dying state.

In the end, look firstly to NYC going bankrupt....then the state itself. He is primarily responsible for having created and sustained the toxic environment that has led to the mass migration of tax paying NY population and businesses to greener pastures. And it's not the climate as he likes to fly up the pole in lieu of the obvious. But ironically, and for the time being anyway, the charlatan is a blessing for the Republican Party as we continue to decrease the number of our critical population based electoral college votes, typically given to the Democrat Presidential candidate.

Andrew Cuomo needs to be recalled not allowed to continue with his gestapo like powers. He's too inept...and corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    All, has there been a consensus if the virus was man made or not? Please post a link if possible.
    This is far and away the best article I’ve read on the subject.

Scientific Evidence Indicates COVID-19 Was Almost Certainly Made in a Laboratory – Anthony Colpo

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    HIPAA only applies to very specific entities, namely medical facilities. There's nothing in HIPAA that would prevent a business from asking you why you weren't wearing a mask. Just thought you should be aware.

190-Who must comply with HIPAA privacy standards | HHS.gov
    They can ask all afternoon. But I'm not going to tell them. And I'll bet that after I ask for their names and contact information, they leave me alone. And I don't care what the regulation actually states -- I will use their bullshit against them. Are you suggesting that if they ask, I have to tell them? Under what statute? If they refuse to let me in, fine, it's their business. But I will not behave for the benefit of their employees.

And this one covers the ADA nonsense that people have been trotting out on social media along with the HIPAA nonsense. As a teacher of students with special needs, I find using ADA as an excuse (in the absence of an actual disability) not to wear a mask particularly irritating.
    Poor Shea. He's irritated.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    My county in Florida has the same exemption. I got nothing but arguments when I tried to use it at my local Walmart a few days ago. Unfortunately (for my need of the moment), I was armed. Otherwise I would have made the security either physically remove me or let me go. I suggested he call the manager, the police or the health department, but he was showing interest in a physical confrontation instead. Probably should have called them myself, but I was short on time.

He informed me that he had denied about 40 others that day. I hope that there's a class action suit soon.

I may even head back with a copy of the order just for spite.
    It's their store, George. Do them the favor of never spending another dime with the motherfuckers.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    The more I look at how countries like Sweden have weathered this thing the more pissed off I get. We could have been done with this weeks ago, and instead our politicians keep dragging it out.
    Has anyone thought about what the common denominator may be in the countries that didn't harass their populace by over-reacting to this virus, vs. the ones that did? Do they have stronger "republic"-type governments, as opposed to our hyper-insistence that "democracy" be in charge? Are their leaders simply more Patriotic and less self-interested (how did they win THAT lottery!?)? Maybe their populations are less Diverse? :P
    There must be some common societal trait these countries have, and I'd love to identify it so that we can work to grow it here in our beautiful country!