starting strength gym
Page 497 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3974474874954964974984995075475979971497 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,970 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering when there will be riots against the governors and majors for their outrageous lockdown orders.

Major protests just occurred in Serbia demanding the resignation of the president, Aleksandar Vucic, for imposing strick lockdowns.

The BBC article on this downplays the reason of protests (the protests are certainly because of the lockdowns). In my opinion, the RT article is much less biased.

I would be surprised if protests of similar nature don't pop up in cities like Austin, TX. It seems that this may be only thing that these politicians pay attention to. Just about the only reason the CHOP zone was taken down was because the Seattle mayor's home address was revealed to the public. Immediately, protests occured outside her house. It didn't take long for her stance on the CHOP zone to flip.

Now local Democrats are calling for her resignation. It must be horribly embarrassing to be a member of the Democratic party in these times.

The Mayor Needs to Go

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    There’s an old saying that 80% of the people do 20% of the work, while 20% of the people do 80% of the work. It’s no accident that those who get it done also seem to be the ones who know the most about their jobs.

There’s another joke too: “What do you call the guy who finished dead fucking last in medical school?

The answer: “Doctor.”

When they interview these assholes on TV, or they’re referencing some schmuck’s paper on how COVID-19 could have been around since the Cretaceous, you don’t know if they’re pulling from the 80% or the 20%.

Aviation is my field of expertise. Whenever a plane crashes, myself and everyone I know listen with rapt attention to how badly the news fucks up their explanations. Their “aviation experts” are usually dumbasses, and usually pilots. Nothing against pilots, but don’t ask them how a plane actually works. Ask an engineer or a mechanic. You don’t ask your bus driver how the Diesel engine under the hood works. But, pilots look official and people respect their opinions... Just like people do with letters like “Dr,” “PhD,” etc..
    I agree, ask a mechanic or an engineer to know how a plane works. Ask a bus driver to know how the engine under the hood works. I completely agree. Who would you have us ask, in regards to the Covid situation? People on the internet are like the pilots you mentioned who have no real working knowledge of the matter in hand. Doctors on the other hand are literally the experts who would be likened to the engineers in your post, who actually know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Can you not see how ridiculous your comparison is?

The reason I, and presumably you, would send someone we cared about to a SS coach is because I/we know the actual contents of the curriculum and the stringency of the testing/vetting process.

But I would not send someone to an ACE certified coach for the very same reason.

Both groups can call themselves strength coaches or personal trainers. The SS would have to somehow suck in spite of his education, the ACE coach would have to be great in spite of theirs.

Now when you look at an "expert" in medicine, who has presented no rationale for their thinking, as in the article you linked, how is it that you assume that they went through the SS version of being educated and screened vs the ACE version? And how much of either version of medical training are you even familiar with to understand whether the field itself is worthy of the title of expert?

You have never made the experts you are willing to submit to prove themselves an actual expert (as you perceive Rip to be) or to have been taught by an expert (as you perceive the SS coaches to be).

Can you see the difference?

Fair enough that we send someone to an SSC because we are familiar with their curriculum. In the same manner, you are free to acquaint yourself with the curriculum that the doctors study during their med school. Our ignorance of their education does not make them less of an expert. It makes us "not experts". The onus is on us to acquire the knowledge that doctors have, and only then be entitled to, and qualified for giving, an opinion on their expertise. Till then all you can do is trust the doctors and the experts in their respective fields. I won't be arrogant enough to claim to know more than them in such matters. I'd rather we trust their degree.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post

You are aware that normal people measure eggs or any part of them per egg, not per gram, right?

You are aware that there is less protein in the yolk of an egg than in that same egg's white, right?

You think specifically recommending the LOWER protein part of the egg FOR it's protein content is the way to go?

I get that those liquid egg things are a thing too, but, while I'm not entirely sure, I'm willing to bet that they don't sell just yolks versions. I am fairly certain that nobody is buying them for a source of protein if they do.

You'll have to forgive me if I am not particularly ashamed by your lack of faith in me. Ironically, you may have very well proven you point about people on the internet. Just not how you intended to.
    My reply was in response to your statement about yolks that "they are a horrible source of protein. It is almost entirely to be found in the whites." I have quoted you here. I replied back because what you said is wholly factually incorrect. Unless you think 3:4 is a very small ratio, in which case, I will not pursue this argument any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post

I believe in expertise, but it must be demonstrated.
    Years of hard work through med school and a degree accepted worldwide isn't good enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I got a second opinion from a more intelligent doctor who told me that thinking was severely outdated and the treatment would likely cause the tendon to rupture within a few months.

So you listened to the expert. Well done! There you go, that's all I'm saying. Let's trust the experts who are actually working on this rather than forming our opinion based on half-acquired knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

I'll be the first to tell you that passing a certification exam, even a rigorous one such as the SSC, does not guarantee that the holder is an "expert" in anything. You know there are bad doctors, right? You and alsbos must be the same age.

I think your definition of "expert" does not match with mine. I don't think experts are people who get it right 100% of the time. No one does. Rather, experts are people who get it right most of the time and certainly more often than laymen. I think if you go by this definition, SSCs are most certainly experts in the field of strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Small update...the state of Virginia has shut down fall sports....VHSL: No high school football in Virginia this fall

There are going to be so many lower income kids that are going to get in a lot of trouble, simply because they won't have the structure of football in their lives. This is a terrible decision.
    Why would you want people to play football and risk catching Covid 19 and thereby risk their lives? This is baffling. Of all the things, why would you risk your life for football? I'm genuinely curious about this line of thinking. My thought process is, if you can avoid catching Covid 19, by avoiding football, why wouldn't you stay at home and stay safe?

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Fair question, and I will say my answer is based on intuition and some experience, but not on some big study that can prove it.

If it's not spread at all person-to-person for 2 weeks, maybe a month, it's gone. So if maximal protection measures are used: hand hygiene, masks, social distancing, large-scale testing and quarantining of known positives, that should do it. Why hasn't that happened? Because large pockets of people are not doing these things and are passing it around, creating rolling reservoirs of virus.

It seems clear to me that this is a fairly contagious virus, on the level of the common cold, and that most people carrying it don't get very sick but can still pass it around. Measures that would minimize spread of the common cold (maybe 10-15% of which are from coronaviruses) should work. If there is another explanation for what we have seen with the recent large numbers of positive tests in places that have relaxed social distancing, and the clusters of positives among, for example, spring breakers, I'd be interested to hear it.

I suppose you could make the argument "well, since not enough people will follow strict containment procedures to actually stop this thing, we shouldn't bother." That's a defensible position, but to me it feels like surrender. I know that wearing a mask feels to other people like surrender. So, here we are, stuck with half-measures. Better than nothing? I don't know. Let the debate continue.

The problem is that a good chunk of the country already shut down for two and a half months and we're still dealing with this.

I view this as primarily a leadership. A lot of us (with good reason) just don't trust that elected officials have our best interests at heart. I'd like to believe that if we really did the mask thing and stayed 6 feet apart we'd be over this thing in a month, but I just can't. After everything that's gone on, my gut response is to just believe the opposite of whatever the official press says.

This "just 4 more weeks" bullshit is what moms do when they're trying to make their toddler behave. It's not how you get consensus for compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Mind you, Hudson and the Austrian School are on two completely opposing sides of the spectrum. Hudson is a classical economist heavily influenced by Marx’s theories of labor and surplus value, and the Mises type libertarians are, well, hard core libertarians. You need to read both with a certain level of distance. Ben Bernanke wrote a book about his role in the 2008 crash, or he had it ghost written to be more precise. If you want to see some perversion, try that piece of shit.

You should also try Keynes’ General Theory, especially if you are gonna be studying up on the Austrians, they fucking hate Keynes. They hate Keynes so much.
    I had an old Korean macro-economics professor who ragged on Keynes constanly haha. I learned enough about him at school to know I'm no fan.

Daniel Horowitz over at the CR is on a tear:

Horowitz: If the panicmongers were consistent, we’d close the schools every flu season - Conservative Review

What’s he missing?

He also has a sequence of earlier articles which make a plausible case for the “Southern Surge” originating in Mexico’s 1st wave.

Cause for optimism?
    TX: Texas shutdown not coming, Gov. Greg Abbott says during coronavirus surge | The Texas Tribune
    GA: Georgia governor overrides all local mask orders in the state | TheHill

I don't think much of whatever Abbott is doing, but it's worth noting. He's not a brave or great man, but he is likely a skilled politician. And one mark of a skilled politician is getting out ahead of a shift in public opinion. A change in tone like this (however tepid) might be an indication he feels the political winds will be in favor of the anti-lockdown side soon. Based on how deaths and hospitalizations have plateaued in TX's major cities and we may have already peaked, this is a reasonable prediction.

The GA governor has some stones though. Power move, and extremely dangerous politically. The howling from the media and Team Apocalypse over this has been deafening.

Given the evidence that COVID-related data has been falsified, tampered with, or intentionally misrepresented by municipalities, I wonder if this change is causing red state governors to become more confident in their ability to ease restrictions: Hospitals Must Report COVID-19 Data To New System Instead Of CDC : Shots - Health News : NPR

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I'd maybe cite some papers of my own, but I watched them being deleted in real time late one night months ago. There were some interesting ones about research done in that Wuhan lab, "gain of function" type work that Weinstein was probably talking about. They managed to work a strain found in bats into a strain that was highly infectious to human cells. That was two years ago. But it was the mysterious deleting of these papers a few months ago (back when the only people even paying attention to this virus were "crazy" people like me) that I saw myself late one night that fully convinces me this sucker came from a lab. I don't think it was intentionally created to be let loose, or even intentionally let loose. More likely it's the same as so many other fuckups that come from China, corner-cutting and bad practices. Same reason they get fun things like chains of buildings exploding out of nowhere.
    And apparently dams that are about to collapse.
    There's been reporting done on the types of labs they were using in the GoF research and how they weren't as secure, weren't built for more contagious stuff/ got moved around after funding changes. A situation I could easily see one unlucky lab assistant go home to his family not realizing he had gotten infected. Completely reasonable, non "conspiracy theory" scenario. And iirc Weinstein went through some explanation of the receptors in the virus and how it appears to have already been acclimated to humans- though he used better terminology. Bret and Heather do a cool podcast and they often cover Covid.

I'm in Jackson, MS. You'd think we'd be all right but our Democrat Mayor Lmumba has gone nuts with it. At one point we had a curfew. I didn't have a curfew after about 14. I literally had a note from my daughter's work to carry in my glove-box in case the cops stopped me as I was driving back and forth to get her. A note. A fucking note. Then he used Covid as an excuse to ban open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrfunk View Post
    Our surgeon general said he was wrong back then and that we've learned so much more now.

"It's important for people to understand that once upon a time, we prescribed cigarettes for asthmatics and leeches and cocaine and heroin for people as medical treatments. When we learned better, we do better..."

He said we're supposed to listen to him now, though. You know, the guy who self-admittedly was telling us to do things that are the equivalent of using leeches and cigarettes for medicine.
    Here's what a reporter should ask both Fauci and the SG: "would you enter a lab, actively working with HIV, with a cloth mask?"

They can ask all afternoon. But I'm not going to tell them. And I'll bet that after I ask for their names and contact information, they leave me alone. And I don't care what the regulation actually states -- I will use their bullshit against them. Are you suggesting that if they ask, I have to tell them? Under what statute? If they refuse to let me in, fine, it's their business. But I will not behave for the benefit of their employees.
    I'm betting that many of the mandates have an exemption like 9c here: https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/l...-coverings.pdf

It's their store, George. Do them the favor of never spending another dime with the motherfuckers.
    I'm fine with that approach if i was dealing with the store policy. I am for freedom of association. They can ban me via store policy for being blue eyed for all I care.

My issue is that I couldn't get a clear answer from the security (he was not even a Walmart employee). He certainly seemed to be making it about the ordinance I linked to above and getting to clarify with management seemed like it was going to require a scuffle.

I very much do want to cause them trouble if they are using the County as a scapegoat for them requiring masks and then not even obeying the County's requirements. Losing my business will not hurt them, but I suspect that public knowledge of this sort of abuse might.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshray Koladdy View Post
    I agree, ask a mechanic or an engineer to know how a plane works. Ask a bus driver to know how the engine under the hood works. I completely agree. Who would you have us ask, in regards to the Covid situation? People on the internet are like the pilots you mentioned who have no real working knowledge of the matter in hand. Doctors on the other hand are literally the experts who would be likened to the engineers in your post, who actually know what they are talking about.
    You're really going to have to stop slobbering all over your doctor's cock here on the board. There are other websites for this sort of thing.

Years of hard work through med school and a degree accepted worldwide isn't good enough for you?
    Shiva is a doctor, you goddamn idiot.

I think your definition of "expert" does not match with mine. I don't think experts are people who get it right 100% of the time. No one does. Rather, experts are people who get it right most of the time and certainly more often than laymen. I think if you go by this definition, SSCs are most certainly experts in the field of strength training.
    You need to be more concerned with my definition of "goddamn idiot."

Why would you want people to play football and risk catching Covid 19 and thereby risk their lives? This is baffling. Of all the things, why would you risk your life for football? I'm genuinely curious about this line of thinking. My thought process is, if you can avoid catching Covid 19, by avoiding football, why wouldn't you stay at home and stay safe?
    Ah, troll. Finally figured it out, I'm dense at times. Or maybe he's 10, playing on his parent's computer.

starting strength coach development program
    https://www.texmed.org/uploadedFiles...20V2_FINAL.pdf

Some very solid guidance and research behind it. Some minor confusion aside, for example sending your kids to camp or school is double the risk of playing golf. It is not clear if that risk applies to the child or to the sender.

It is also not clear what your absolute risk is. I suppose that double the risk of death from 10% to 20% would be interesting to know. But doubling your exposure from 0.00005% to 0.0001% would not be as significant.

Either way this is an important piece of scientific guidance and should be used pre and posthumously.