starting strength gym
Page 499 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3994494894974984995005015095495999991499 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 4,990 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I have a feeling that lack of diversity is a big part of the reason Sweden didn't have to lock down.
    That and the Swedes aren't the ones dying, have to have Cookies on to read: https://www.thelocal.se/20200622/peo...irus-in-sweden

It's a lot like Virginia, once you remove nursing home numbers from the equation, the chance of a healthy Virginian having serious effects from the virus, is so low as to be on par with flu season. Because after the nursing homes, the hospitalizations and deaths are almost all immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshray Koladdy View Post
    You are right in saying that death by covid for a young kid is going to be extremely improbable as compared to other causes. Fair enough. I don't however agree that your uncle's life is any less important than your child's, no matter the age difference. All lives matter.

All uncles matter.
    Harshray you have not thought through the policy implications of your opinion fully. If we are instituting undue harm to protect "all uncles," where are all the other costly protections? You know, like the common features of a nursing home, it would be costly to implement them, too, but if we shut down the economy for months on end to protect elderly uncles, why stop there?

Your "all uncles matter" morals fit quite well with the earlier member's comment about ADA:

Quite a convincing case can be made that ADA was an abject policy failure, in that it absurdly increased private entities' costs for the benefit of a minute portion of society (costs that ultimately are passed on to the consumer and taxpayer, of course). And similarly, I think these CoVid regulations should be made permanent in some sort of ACoVA policy package, to, you know, save 1% of the population's lives (/SARC, obviously).

On a more serious note, are other CoVid fear-mongerers on board with your assessment? Is CoVid, in fact, only a pandemic for those few elderly uncles out there? So....why are you (& our self-interested politicians) promoting the continuation of the involuntary, voluntary Quarantine, then? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I have a feeling that lack of diversity is a big part of the reason Sweden didn't have to lock down.
    Sweden is not as diverse as the US, but it is significantly more diverse than other European countries that did lock down.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post

As far as I can tell, the downsides of masks are:

1. there is a small financial and time expense to using masks
    2. masks make some people feel bad

The upside is that they probably provide some slowing to the spread of covid, flu, etc. So if you want this whole thing to be over, wearing a mask when you can't social distance makes sense.
    This is the most sensible comment I have read by far, in this thread. Unless there is a medical reason, there really is no excuse to not wear masks in public. If you don't care for your own well being, atleast do it out of basic respect towards your fellow human beings. The older generation is vulnerable to this virus and for their sake alone , wear masks. Squatting 5 reps of a heavy set is hard, we all still do it. Wearing a mask is easy. There is no excuse not to wear one.

There is a reason why the United States has the more Covid cases than any other country in the world. It's because people in other countries trust their experts and don't protest against masks.

Fair enough that we send someone to an SSC because we are familiar with their curriculum. In the same manner, you are free to acquaint yourself with the curriculum that the doctors study during their med school. Our ignorance of their education does not make them less of an expert. It makes us "not experts". The onus is on us to acquire the knowledge that doctors have, and only then be entitled to, and qualified for giving, an opinion on their expertise. Till then all you can do is trust the doctors and the experts in their respective fields. I won't be arrogant enough to claim to know more than them in such matters. I'd rather we trust their degree.
    Almost exactly wrong.

Our ignorance (although I have the sneaking suspicion that you level of ignorance in this matter far exceeds my own) doesn't make them any less an expert just like their claim/association/degree to be an expert doesn't make them an expert at all.

The fact that they have been repeatedly and markedly wrong about things added to the fact that the onus is on someone making a claim of expertise to demonstrate that they are in fact, an expert means that we should never accept some such claim at face value. And in this case we should be even more skeptical than ever.

My reply was in response to your statement about yolks that "they are a horrible source of protein. It is almost entirely to be found in the whites." I have quoted you here. I replied back because what you said is wholly factually incorrect. Unless you think 3:4 is a very small ratio, in which case, I will not pursue this argument any further.
    But to my point. Even assuming an error on my part doesn't somehow make the doctor's advice specifically recommending egg yolks as a protein good advice. It would, at best, be on par with recommending sets of 10-20 for strength.

Years of hard work through med school and a degree accepted worldwide isn't good enough for you?
    Again. Who says it was hard? (I know a doctor who bragged of never attending a class. He did all his studying at the beach/) Who says hard work qualifies you for anything other than doing hard work? (I did tree work for a while. Very hard. Near zero carryover to my building home, which was also hard.) Are all medical degrees accepted worldwide? I'm not exactly sure myself, but I am certain that the degree is the bare minimum requirement for being hired at a clinic or hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Daniel Horowitz over at the CR is on a tear:

Horowitz: If the panicmongers were consistent, we’d close the schools every flu season - Conservative Review

What’s he missing?

He also has a sequence of earlier articles which make a plausible case for the “Southern Surge” originating in Mexico’s 1st wave.
    The seasonal flu has a higher death rate among children and the "Southern Surge" can be almost entirely accounted for with lags in accounting and other bad data collecting and sharing techniques.

I'm glad to hear that Shiva is a doctor and he has my full respect, but that is doubly concerning as to why he won't trust doctors' expertise?
    Do you not see how utterly stupid and contradictory this concern is?

If Shiva is a doctor then he is informed, at least more than you are, of what level of expertise that title is warranted. He has most certainly interacted, both professionally and socially with more of them than you. he has also done the process of becoming one.

Even if the title of doctor gives him zero expertise anywhere else....the experience of being one gives him a much better vantage point than yourselve on just how blindly they should be trusted.

Your "concern" may explain the accusations of being a troll too. FWIW I just hink you're a Karen. Not a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, Barry, these are EXPERTS. Obey the experts. Experts know what's best for us. But I've always been puzzled about the Public Pool thing. Is SARS-CoV-2 invulnerable to chlorine? What other deadly viruses are we swimming in?
    The experts say that people “congregate” in public pools and then the six degrees of COVID-19 kick in...

This is the most sensible comment I have read by far, in this thread. Unless there is a medical reason, there really is no excuse to not wear masks in public. If you don't care for your own well being, atleast do it out of basic respect towards your fellow human beings. The older generation is vulnerable to this virus and for their sake alone , wear masks. Squatting 5 reps of a heavy set is hard, we all still do it. Wearing a mask is easy. There is no excuse not to wear one.

There is a reason why the United States has the more Covid cases than any other country in the world. It's because people in other countries trust their experts and don't protest against masks.
    I squat heavy sets of 5 so I have the option of resisting people who are trying to force me to do stupid things I don't want to do. "Because I don't want to" is a valid excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    No, EVERYONE is like an 1800s human trying to figure out how planes and buses work when it comes to COVID-19. That's the correct analogy. There is no authority to listen to. The fact that the virus has become politicized guarantees we will not have solid, objective facts untainted by bias for quite some time. Donald Trump's initial dismissive statements about COVID at the start basically guaranteed what at least 90% of people will believe about the virus. Everyone is just working to prove their own strongly-held opinions at this point.
    I think this is the statement of this whole thread.

Anyone who doesn't think this whole mess isn't political is kidding himself. Can you image what the world would be like if in the Northern hemisphere we scrutinized the public health paradigm this myopically every October through May?

By the way, what's going on in the Southern hemisphere?

Sir, if you don't care for how silly you sound, out of basic respect towards other human beings, don't type such drivel. Not uttering silly statements is easy; there is no excuse not refrain from typing it.

Trust the experts here who deem this silly talk! Understand how silly you sound and don't protest it.

starting strength coach development program
    Listen to him, Harshray. After all, he is a Doctor.