starting strength gym
Page 500 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 40045049049849950050150251055060010001500 ... LastLast
Results 4,991 to 5,000 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Harshray: what role, if any, does your mind play in processing Expert advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Shiva is a doctor
    In a few months.

In my field, “Experts” usually refers to prediction with expert advice. The word is used derisively, because the goal is to do well even when advised by hordes of professed Experts who fare poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshray Koladdy View Post
    There is a reason why the United States has the more Covid cases than any other country in the world. It's because people in other countries trust their experts and don't protest against masks.
    What? You wouldn't post nonsense statements like this if you actually tried backing them up. For my health and safety, I should move to one of these amazing countries where the people trust their experts more. [emoji2357]

Be ye not distracted by our troll here. Be instead more cynical about experts: Fatal Motorcycle Crash Listed as COVID-19 Death in Florida

Shiva is a doctor, you goddamn idiot.

Shiva is a PhD student in computer science. You had me there Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post

Do you not see how utterly stupid and contradictory this concern is?

If Shiva is a doctor then he is informed, at least more than you are, of what level of expertise that title is warranted. He has most certainly interacted, both professionally and socially with more of them than you. he has also done the process of becoming one.

Even if the title of doctor gives him zero expertise anywhere else....the experience of being one gives him a much better vantage point than yourselve on just how blindly they should be trusted.

Your "concern" may explain the accusations of being a troll too. FWIW I just hink you're a Karen. Not a troll.
    Rip had me, and by extension probably you, fooled earlier, but Shiva is a PhD student in computer science, and hence, no offence to him, he is not the expert here. My concern about him not trusting doctors has thus been rendered moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Harshray: what role, if any, does your mind play in processing Expert advice?

In a few months.

In my field, “Experts” usually refers to prediction with expert advice. The word is used derisively, because the goal is to do well even when advised by hordes of professed Experts who fare poorly.
    One of the first things my mind will do is to process if the concerned person is an expert. For instance you may very well be an expert in your field of computer science, in a few months, and all the best to you to defend your thesis, but, no offence, you are not the expert when it comes to Covid 19. So I don't see how you or I for that matter, can possess the knowledge that the doctors involved in the Covid 19 situation do, knowledge that is fundamentally prerequisite to forming an informed opinion on such a matter and knowledge that is gained not solely through the internet, but through the years of hard work through med school.

Listen to him, Harshray. After all, he is a Doctor.
    I don't know if I can trust Doctor Manhattan. I don't think he cares too much for us mere mortals. He did after all, say this once: "I am tired of Earth, these people. I'm tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives"

This is the most sensible comment I have read by far, in this thread. Unless there is a medical reason, there really is no excuse to not wear masks in public. If you don't care for your own well being, atleast do it out of basic respect towards your fellow human beings. The older generation is vulnerable to this virus and for their sake alone , wear masks. Squatting 5 reps of a heavy set is hard, we all still do it. Wearing a mask is easy. There is no excuse not to wear one.

There is a reason why the United States has the more Covid cases than any other country in the world. It's because people in other countries trust their experts and don't protest against masks.
    At least in Sweden, almost nobody is wearing masks, except of course in the hospitals. And the virus spread is steadily going down. Wearing a mask could possibly give a false sense of safety.

Wow. Shiva's not a doctor. I speak for many on this board when I say, "Wow, Shiva's not a doctor." Harshray's right. Only doctors have the expertise we need in These Trying Times.

Protip:

These guys are literally qualified doctors...
    +
    Doctors on the other hand are literally the experts...
    =
    a trendy, young mind

One can find experts to defend both sides of any argument. He who picks The Experts, controls the minds of the trendies.

I'm really curious about how old you are, Harshray.

From the UK

Matt Hancock orders urgent review of PHE Covid-19 death figures | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian

Dr Susan Hopkins, Public Health England’s incident director, said: “Although it may seem straightforward, there is no WHO agreed method of counting deaths from Covid-19. In England, we count all those that have died who had a positive Covid-19 test at any point, to ensure our data is as complete as possible."

Is that a good expert opinion from a leading Dr on how to meaningfully count covid deaths?

starting strength coach development program
    One of the first things my mind will do is to process if the concerned person is an expert. For instance you may very well be an expert in your field of computer science, in a few months, and all the best to you to defend your thesis, but, no offence, you are not the expert when it comes to Covid 19. So I don't see how you or I for that matter, can possess the knowledge that the doctors involved in the Covid 19 situation do, knowledge that is fundamentally prerequisite to forming an informed opinion on such a matter and knowledge that is gained not solely through the internet, but through the years of hard work through med school.
    So your mind plays no role at all? What a surprise.