starting strength gym
Page 509 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 940945949950750850951051151955960910091509 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,090 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I read the first 9 pages, then bits and pieces of the last 3. I believe her story as much as any other one-off account. Wouldn't surprise me if in 2 weeks, this came out as a fake account, and also wouldn't surprise me if she got a cover story on Time Magazine for her honest write up.
    I've seen a couple of stories like it that came from out-of-town nurses that came to NYC hospitals. Maybe they're all fake, but the fact that there's a couple of them out there does make it seem at least worth investigating. We could really use someone to look into this and "journal" what they find. If only we had such people in society...

Copying and pasting the text from this link: https://medium.com/@JordanSchachtel/...9-e1594e11150a

Did New York ‘do it correctly’ in fighting COVID-19?
    Jordan Schachtel
    Jordan Schachtel
    Follow
    Jul 19 · 3 min read

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), appeared on PBS television Friday to endorse the state of New York’s methods in fighting the novel coronavirus.

“We know that, when you do it properly, you bring down those cases. We have done it. We have done it in New York,” Fauci told interviewer Judy Woodruff.
    “New York got hit worse than any place in the world. And they did it correctly by doing the things that you’re talking about,” he continued.

It seems that Dr. Fauci plainly suggested that government policy and its resulting human behavior, and not the natural curve of the spread of the virus, is the reason why the COVID-19 case surge problem in New York appears to be under control.

Is Dr. Fauci and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo correct? Is New York indeed the model for the nation?

When we look at the data coming out of New York, statistical questions arise about the underreported, but potentially powerful role Mother Nature may have played in curbing the pandemic.

A new study out of Oxford University found that the Herd Immunity Threshold (HIT) for COVID-19, or the percentage of the infected population necessary to slow the spread of the virus, sits at somewhere between 10 to 20 percent.

Dr. Suneptra Gupta, a renowned professor of theoretical epidemiology at the University of Oxford, and her team explained in their groundbreaking paper:
    “Seropositivity measures of 10–20% are entirely compatible with local levels of immunity having approached or even exceeded the HIT (herd immunity threshold), in which case the risk and scale of resurgence is lower than currently perceived.”

So, did the people and politicians of New York really play an active role to “bring down the cases,” as Dr. Fauci claimed. Or instead, did the state simply run into the benefits of herd immunity?

Let’s take a look at the numbers:

According to the State of New York, there have now been over 400,000 positive cases of the novel coronavirus statewide.

Now, according to the CDC, the real estimated case count is likely ten times higher.

“Our best estimate right now is for every case reported there were actually 10 other infections,” CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield said during a June press conference.

That would put New York, with a population at around 20 million people, at over 4 million estimated cases. That’s 20 percent of the state population.

If Oxford’s research is correct, that means New York has achieved the Herd Immunity Threshold (HIT) necessary to curb the virus. This would mean that whatever New York tried to do to *stop* the virus was largely unsuccessful, because the HIT was achieved anyway.

Therefore, it remains unclear what exactly the politcians and the public health experts are celebrating, given New York’s atronomical, devastating death toll.

wouldn't surprise me if she got a cover story on Time Magazine for her honest write up.
    That would shock me. Far more likely that she be harassed with death threats and fired or forced to quit her job and go into hiding for daring to speak.

Wouldn't surprise me if in 2 weeks, this came out as a fake account...
    Local Redding news didn't seem to think she was a fake:

Northstate nursing graduate to work at heart of pandemic in NYC | KRCR

Or her alum:

Simpson University Inducts Nursing Students into Honor Society - News and Events | SimpsonU

Another article to read.....

Florida & Texas Case Surges Produces Small Fraction of New York Deaths – OutKick

Also, re the nurse article.... If it is true, great. (I was exaggerating about the Time story.) just wouldn't surprise me if a shit ton of crap starts getting said about her to cast the story in doubt.

Of course they'll shit on her. Why, she has dared to criticize the Jewel of the Northeast, New York City, the Greatest City on Earth.

It's not just Florida & Texas. Here are the COVID-19 deaths week-by-week from February 1st to the week ending July 11th. They look really close the the NYC graph that Rip continues to post, but are for the entire country. Taken from the CDC website (scroll about 1/4 way down the page - linking to the table isn't working right):

COVID-19 Provisional Counts - Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 22.36.25.jpg

I also went and updated another familiar looking graph that Rip posted back in May. This reflects data for week ending July 11, and is based on 2019 census numbers for population in millions:

COVID-19 Deaths Per Million.jpg

Shit... In my previous post, the chart says "...As of July 11, 2019." Obviously it's supposed to read 2020, but I was using 2019 census data and just had 2019 on the brain when I was doing it. It has been corrected.

COVID-19 Deaths Per Million.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Of course they'll shit on her. Why, she has dared to criticize the Jewel of the Northeast, New York City, the Greatest City on Earth.
    Not as beloved by the rest of the state as one might think. I've unloaded a few "jewels" like that city into my toilet. I especially hate it because it also manages to corner the job market. All the damn employment opportunities are there.

starting strength coach development program
    Hm.

While in this thread (and thus, to me, in the USA) it's still about death rate and case numbers, here in Germany the new headlines have moved on to something more perfidious: The delayed consequences of a Covid-19 infection. The crux of the matter being that when you had Covid and have recovered, even when you had only mild symptoms, you're at risk for "brain damage" among other things like kidney infarctions. And who wants dementia? See, even if the virus isn't as deadly as initially thought (about 9'000 deaths in Germany, compared to about 24'000 from the flu two years ago), even if the numbers are dwindling, we're not safe - you can get something worse than death from it.

I remember that in May, when we'd been in full swing of masks and distancing, there were some headlines about children dying from Corona. I had predicted that a week earlier, because most people said "it's only bad for old and sick people".

The older I get, the more I hate the fearmongering media.

Have there beend similar headlines over in the US? They'll come soon.