starting strength gym
Page 514 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1441446450451251351451551652456461410141514 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,140 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Trump says coronavirus masks are '''patriotic''' after months of largely resisting wearing one

Brilliant.. I hope he keeps up with this new angle... My guess is masks will be fully optional within 2 weeks if he does.

Can I be honest and real about this mask thing: It's not the end of the world. I wear a mask when I go out not because of virtue signaling or because I'm a sheep, it's because the discomfort it causes me to wear one into a store for 5 minutes is worth it so I don't freak out some poor person that believes the Communist News Network. They are people too and I respect my neighbors, even ones with different opinions.

We need to take care of the people in our communities and part of that is respecting others. "They" are trying to divide and conquer everyone for votes, but they don't live near you, it's up to you to protect your house, your family, your neighbors, etc. Practicing good covid19 precautions like social distancing, wearing masks, hand washing, etc is very little effort. Don't do it because they ordered you to, they are largely full of S@#T and making it up as they go. Do it because we need to take their ammunition away. Do it while saying "F@#K you" behind your mask to every one of them. Look at masks like the useless words of all these politicians, they do nothing but use them anyway. If these bureaucrats / news agencies have proven anything they have proven that the numbers of cases can be leveraged to drive any radical policy decision they wish, so for the love of god, mask or not, please do your part to stop spreading it and feeding their numbers (lest they continue use them against us). Sooner or later everyone will realize that covid is spreading if they are wearing masks or not, the deaths will continue to drop, herd immunity will take a greater effect, and this thing will blow over. Don't make needless enemies in the meantime. When the stuff truly does hit the fan you don't need your neighbor sore at you for not wearing a mask, you need that person as your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by peng View Post
    Got told by a Karen
    Was it necessary to use a racist, sexist, class slur to describe your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

NYC Covid-19 experience - Megan Watkins - Google Docs

And this could be complete bullshit too, but I don't think so.
    I find this account pretty plausible overall. There are definitely some self-serving descriptions here (another nurse and a patient on separate occasions telling the writer "you're giving me hope"/"you're the only one who cares") which suggest some possible exaggeration or distortion, but probably not much more than your average first-person story/memoir.

The striking thing was that she found herself among a staff of burned-out nurses and doctors. Again, her description of how universal that was strikes me as a bit extreme and maybe exaggerated, but this has been a real problem even before covid. Add a covid surge and this same staff being put at risk and asked to do things outside their usual job requirement, and it's not surprising that the burnout is amplified and some bad behavior is observed.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    But she was! Wasn't Peng was putting her at risk?
    Does "social distancing" work, or not? "Please socially distance your ass as far away from me as possible" would have been more appropriate than just passively getting mad. It's time for this shit to stop.

The outside world has started to look very strange to me. I can't see many peoples face's anymore. Very different. It is indeed a cultural shift.
    I don't speak to people in masks, because normal human interaction requires facial interaction. I often laugh at them openly, a least the ones I can correctly identify as males. They always look away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Was it necessary to use a racist, sexist, class slur to describe your experience?
    Yes, Gerald, sometimes it's necessary, especially when it is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    Can I be honest and real about this mask thing: It's not the end of the world. I wear a mask when I go out not because of virtue signaling or because I'm a sheep, it's because the discomfort it causes me to wear one into a store for 5 minutes is worth it so I don't freak out some poor person that believes the Communist News Network. They are people too and I respect my neighbors, even ones with different opinions.

We need to take care of the people in our communities and part of that is respecting others.
    You're obviously a very nice man, but respecting others goes both ways. Why is the burden on you to respect them when they have no interest in anything except your conformity? And this horseshit has caused a sufficiently huge societal upheaval that it may well be the "end of the world." Children are now afraid all day long that they are going to die of a disease that has a statistically unobservable death rate in their demographic. This is not a little blip on the graph of human behavior. And it has done incalculable and unappreciated damage to the world's economy.

Restaurant Revolution: How the Industry Is Fighting to Stay Alive - Harvard Business School Working Knowledge

Parents and grandparents have died alone because someone else might get sick in Hospice. And if I piss off a maskboy by laughing at him at the store, it's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post

Thank you, it's very interesting to get perspectives from different countries in this globally embarrassing travesty.

That's true, with a big BUT. I think while most sane people dismiss that channel, there are not a few who let themselves be influenced by the mass media.

The mass mask obedience is disturbing to me. I wonder if German people are just too good at following orders in the name of the "greater good", but it seems it's not just here. Many people are genuinely scared, and fear overrules thought when you don't deal with it. Others are just sheep.
    It probably has to do with how much people in a given area are trusting of the state and authorities. That’s on the one hand. On the other, the rule seems to apply that the further you are removed from your livelihood being affected by the restrictions, the likelier you are to follow the restrictions. In addition, certain groups are both directly and indirectly benefiting from the prolonged state of fear and the same restrictions.

Think in terms of differences in major cities with service based industries in the digital marketing and similar bullshit sectors versus smaller places with industrial or normal service sectors. Or think in terms of large sections of the population benefiting from the crisis, from the workers making more on unemployment than on their jobs, to office drones getting furloughed or “working from home” (i.e. not having to go to the office to pretend to work), to the increasingly evil and corrupt scientific and medical establishment smelling research money coming their way. Finally, let us not discount the fact that all the people living boring, soulless lives now finally have a stick with which to beat down any party they are not invited to. The last item affects the western world much more than the rest of the planet. Which is where RTL comes in.

Yes, Gerald, sometimes it's necessary, especially when it is correct.
    Calling people bad words lost all power once society decided you could no longer get punched in the mouth over it without someone getting charged with assault: change my mind.

Side note... Coward of the County by Kenny Rogers has been on my mind lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Matt Jackson's and Ayrsson's thinly disguised screeds about the Jeeeeewsssss. Oswald Mosley would be proud.
    That's SIR Oswald Mosley to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    Trump says coronavirus masks are '''patriotic''' after months of largely resisting wearing one

Brilliant.. I hope he keeps up with this new angle... My guess is masks will be fully optional within 2 weeks if he does.

We need to take care of the people in our communities and part of that is respecting others. "They" are trying to divide and conquer everyone for votes, but they don't live near you, it's up to you to protect your house, your family, your neighbors, etc. Practicing good covid19 precautions like social distancing, wearing masks, hand washing, etc is very little effort. Don't do it because they ordered you to, they are largely full of S@#T and making it up as they go. Do it because we need to take their ammunition away. Do it while saying "F@#K you" behind your mask to every one of them. Look at masks like the useless words of all these politicians, they do nothing but use them anyway. If these bureaucrats / news agencies have proven anything they have proven that the numbers of cases can be leveraged to drive any radical policy decision they wish, so for the love of god, mask or not, please do your part to stop spreading it and feeding their numbers (lest they continue use them against us). Sooner or later everyone will realize that covid is spreading if they are wearing masks or not, the deaths will continue to drop, herd immunity will take a greater effect, and this thing will blow over. Don't make needless enemies in the meantime. When the stuff truly does hit the fan you don't need your neighbor sore at you for not wearing a mask, you need that person as your friend.
    Bully for you. If wearing a mask makes you feel better, great. However, if you really think wearing a mask will bring an end to this nonsense any sooner, please continue to think it but don't expect others share in your dream. Your reasoning is exactly what "they" want: compliance, regardless of your internal motivation.

Here is one of the papers, a meta of 10 RCTs: Nonpharmaceutical Measures for Pandemic Influenza in Nonhealthcare Settings—Personal Protective and Environmental Measures - Volume 26, Number 5—May 2020 - Emerging Infectious Diseases journal - CDC

This seems fairly convincing to me. His general point is that face masks don't work the way the Governor of New Mexico et al says they work. Read the whole paper, it could be complete bullshit.
    So if you look at the tables in that paper, the pooled analysis slightly does favor masks. It doesn't meet statistical significance, but is a trend toward effectiveness of masks. My primary critique of this particular meta-analysis is that the included studies looked at residential and overcrowded settings: Hajj pilgrims, college dorms, individual households. In these settings, the chances of other vectors of viral spread is very high: people have shared bathrooms, kitchens, beds, and are even maybe exchanging bodily fluids that masks cannot affect. College dorms and the Hajj regularly see outbreaks of things like meningitis that we don't see in general community settings. It makes sense to look at whether masks help in these extreme risk environments, but that's a different question than whether they help in lower risk environments. Kind of like seatbelts in consumer cars are different than what you give a Formula 1 driver.

If you're wearing a mask alone in your car, you're neurotic, misinformed, or maybe a pervert. If you live with someone, you shouldn't bother wearing masks at home to protect each other: you're sharing microbes no matter what. This is very different from brief encounters at a cash register, for example, and these studies don't really look at encounters like that.

I don't know what the Governor of New Mexico is saying, but being a governor, I'm sure he or she is oversimplifying and pandering.

starting strength coach development program
    Does "social distancing" work, or not?
    I forgot about that.

See? This is hard.