starting strength gym
Page 516 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1641646650651451551651751852656661610161516 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,160 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Yes, Gerald, sometimes it's necessary, especially when it is correct.
    Well, my wife's name is Karen. How about we change the epithet to Stef.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    if N95 masks by themselves in a clinical/lab setting do not provide protection against viral infection, what is the point of pulling your T-shirt up around your face/wearing a bandanna like Jesse James/buying a cloth mask with a badass skull on it and pretending that you're participating in an effective Public Health initiative? Masks are signals of either virtue or obedience, and that's all -- that is my point, not his.
    This is an overbroad statement which, much like the lockdowns, ignores individual circumstances. Some masks are sometimes useless, for some people, for some purposes. People (and proprietors) should make their own mask decisions, and not be stigmatized either way.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    But she was! Wasn't Peng was putting her at risk?
    Could she not just stand 6'1" away and be perfectly safe?

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    They are people too and I respect my neighbors, even ones with different opinions.
    Does respecting someone mean feeding their delusions?

I'll respect my neighbor's right to hold possibly wrong opinions, but I won't pretend that I think they are correct just because they might get upset for a second.

Plus, they can literally still just stay 6' 1" according the current voodoo protocols and be safe.

The people who might get in my face, literally don't believe their own bullshit and are nasty enough not to get any more of my respect anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    出る釘は打たれる

"The nail that sticks out gets hammered down."
    -Japanese proverb

It is more frequently written as:
    出る杭は打たれる
    But yes, an unfortunately prevalent mindset here in many settings.
    Anyone who upsets or bends the conservative social order here tends to get trampled by the state sooner or later, most visible global example lately is Ghosn but there have been numerous domestic examples over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Matt Jackson's and Ayrsson's thinly disguised screeds about the Jeeeeewsssss. Oswald Mosley would be proud.
    I tend to automatically skip over any post that mentions "Soros" for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by peng View Post
    St. Louis couple charged for pulling guns at protest
    In that article when describing the charged couple they say they are "white" (not capitalized), but when they describe others like the DA they capitalize "Black"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Hmm, is it just me, or is anyone else getting a distinct whiff of anti-semitism drifting across the Atlantic from the UK?
    I have noticed a general rise in antisemitism the past few years and especially the past few months. The BLM movement seems to have turned sharply antisemitic lately, we had #JewishPrivelege topping the twitter trends and celebrities like Nick Cannon have been openly antisemitic. Don't know about anything in the UK specifically.

However, at the same time, there has also been a strong rise in anti-white, anti-European, anti-western, anti-American, anti-Christian, anti-nationalist, anti-capitalist and anti-freedom sentiments.
    BREAKING: The Historic Nantes Cathedral in France is Burning ... Police Suspect Arson

Criticism of a nation, like Israel should not be conflated with anti-semitism. Otherwise, we are forbidden from criticizing most nations in general or discussing foreign policy and that would simply be another form of censorship imposed by the standards of political correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    .. Oh man, we've been barbaric not masking and having NBA and NHL games...
    Welcome to the future:
    The Jarvis Garrett foreshadowing - Manila Standard
    Jarvis Garrett plays basketball game in scary Hannibal Lecter mask | For The Win

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    So if you look at the tables in that paper, the pooled analysis slightly does favor masks. It doesn't meet statistical significance, but is a trend toward effectiveness of masks. My primary critique of this particular meta-analysis is that the included studies looked at residential and overcrowded settings: Hajj pilgrims, college dorms, individual households. In these settings, the chances of other vectors of viral spread is very high: people have shared bathrooms, kitchens, beds, and are even maybe exchanging bodily fluids that masks cannot affect. College dorms and the Hajj regularly see outbreaks of things like meningitis that we don't see in general community settings. It makes sense to look at whether masks help in these extreme risk environments, but that's a different question than whether they help in lower risk environments. Kind of like seatbelts in consumer cars are different than what you give a Formula 1 driver.

If you're wearing a mask alone in your car, you're neurotic, misinformed, or maybe a pervert. If you live with someone, you shouldn't bother wearing masks at home to protect each other: you're sharing microbes no matter what. This is very different from brief encounters at a cash register, for example, and these studies don't really look at encounters like that.

I don't know what the Governor of New Mexico is saying, but being a governor, I'm sure he or she is oversimplifying and pandering.
    Let's say the masks are slightly effective at best. What does that actually equate to? I think most people would agree they are a pretty big infringement on our lives. Not as big as the full economic shutdown, no sports, removal of gatherings, can't go to restaurants, etc. But they are totally messing up the social dynamic and are just annoying to wear. But how do they affect the total death number? It seems to me this virus has done what its going to do despite the fact that we've all been wearing mask for 4 months. I'm supposed to believe we are saving significant lives until what...a vaccine is available? Will we not reach herd immunity before that occurs? I just don't see how they do anything at all to decrease the total amount of deaths when its all said and done?

This 83kg USAPL lifter put up an 825kg total, but was disqualified...for not wearing his silly mask tightly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Irrespective of the mask issue, and not directed at you JF, but this is one of the most frustrating shifts in thinking in modern research. It is pure bullshit. There is no such thing. You either meet your pre-determined threshold for statistical significance, or you don't.
    What’s the difference between a p-value of 0.04 and 0.06? The evidence is still leaning towards a given direction.

Personally, Sully has the best takes on this whole thread. He recognizes complexity and uncertainty, and doesn’t cherry pick evidence. That’s more than I can say for 95% of the posters here, including Rip.

I’d post a picture of a guy (I know him) in a mask at boot camp, completely covered in dirt, just outside of the Crucible cage match ring, if I didn’t think it’d potentially cause trouble. (Identity issues?)

It’s far from clear what the masks are doing for them except impeding breathing while they pummel each other and exhaust volumes of moisture in immediate proximity to each other. “When you can’t social distance ... and you can’t not breathe down the other guy’s neck, wear a mask?”

And every one of these guys are not a little very very healthy.

More insanity.

starting strength coach development program
    I knew this was only a matter of time...

"A Hardin County couple is now on house arrest after one of them tested positive for COVID-19 and decided not to sign documents agreeing to self-quarantine.

The couple was ordered to wear ankle monitors. If they travel more than 200 feet, law enforcement will be notified."

Couple Get House Arrest for Refusal to Sign Quarantine Order - YouTube

Ky. couple on house arrest after not signing positive COVID-19 self-isolation order